Have you ever felt guilty for taking a day off work because you felt ill?

JustifiedJustified Posts: 16
Forum Member
Have you ever felt guilty for taking a day off work because you felt ill? I had to take a day off work today, due to being very close to vomiting in my toilet this morning, (although I managed to hold it in). This evening however, I feel rather guilty for taking a day off work, as by the afternoon, I began to feel much better again. :(

Comments

• sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Yes - if I have to cancel patients it can take around 6 - 8 weeks for them to get another appointment so I try not to take time off unless I'm at death's door! :(
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, never.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have the same issue. Some days I feel really quite bad in the early to mid morning but feel much better by early afternoon...sometimes I don't feel too bad until the afternoon and I end up in work feeling bad, wishing I had taken the day off(!)
  • JustifiedJustified Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Yes - if I have to cancel patients it can take around 6 - 8 weeks for them to get another appointment so I try not to take time off unless I'm at death's door! :(
    But don't you also take into account about passing on illnesses to your patients?
    Forum Member
    Justified wrote: »
    But don't you also take into account about passing on illnesses to your patients?

If I thought I'd got a bug that I could pass on I would take time off (I'd still feel guilty though) It's usually the patients who come in with bugs they're likely to give me - luckily, I'm relatively immune to kiddy bugs now! If I worked in a hospital environment I'd probably be more likely to take time off with colds if I got them.

If I'm generally feeling yucky e.g. migraine (I'm lucky that I don't throw up with mine), IBS etc I tend to go in.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I feel guilty because someone will have to work overtime to cover my absence with us being so short staffed at the moment.

On the other hand, though, I've had to cover for people phoning in sick so many times in the last couple of months I don't think I will feel guilty if I have to phone in sick again.
  • JustifiedJustified Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    If I thought I'd got a bug that I could pass on I would take time off (I'd still feel guilty though) It's usually the patients who come in with bugs they're likely to give me - luckily, I'm relatively immune to kiddy bugs now! If I worked in a hospital environment I'd probably be more likely to take time off with colds if I got them.

If I'm generally feeling yucky e.g. migraine (I'm lucky that I don't throw up with mine), IBS etc I tend to go in.
    Just imagine how embarrassing it would be to get explosive diarrhea in the middle of when you are dealing with a patient! :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, I hardly ever take a day off for a slight illness.
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always feel guilty and hate making that phone call. I try to put it off as long as possible thinking perhaps I should really go in. Then get sent home because I'm too ill to be at work.
    Forum Member
    Just imagine how embarrassing it would be to get explosive diarrhea in the middle of when you are dealing with a patient! :eek::D

Yep, it certainly would be! Fingers crossed that never happens... :eek:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hobbleit wrote: »
    Yes. I feel guilty because someone will have to work overtime to cover my absence with us being so short staffed at the moment.

On the other hand, though, I've had to cover for people phoning in sick so many times in the last couple of months I don't think I will feel guilty if I have to phone in sick again.

If your location didn't say Durham, I would swear you worked with me asyou posted pretty much word for word what I would say!
    |Although I haven't been off sick since April 2011 so I definitely shouldn't feel guilty if I'm genuinely ill!
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also do a day voluneering and I hate even letting them down if I am ill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my husband is rarely ill but he came down with really bad flu last year. He had a day off (well a night) and his boss was saying "Oh everybody is ill, im snowed under", so he went in the next two nights as he felt bad, and collapsed and had to be brought home and have time off again,and they moaned that he had wasted their time collapsing and shouldnt have gone in, you cant win.

Last time i was off work it was for six months, but i was on a section, they didnt leave the job open but i cant blame them, was sad as i loved the job.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

I've done that....whilst waiting for a baby to deliver, had to dash out of the room, my colleague took over & when I returned it was all over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Yes, I have the same issue. Some days I feel really quite bad in the early to mid morning but feel much better by early afternoon...sometimes I don't feel too bad until the afternoon and I end up in work feeling bad, wishing I had taken the day off(!)

Same!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    I had Bronchitis right after August bank holiday weekend so after three days off I felt so guilty I went in on the Friday. Sent home three hours later after my fever spiked, and I was shaking and crying in the office kitchen. It was rather embarassing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Was it the first time you were off from there? They keep jobs open for up to a year for maternity leave so it seems unfair that they couldn't have kept it for six months for you.

It wasnt the first time i had had to go into hospital no, but it was the longest, they were very good to keep me as long as they did to be fair, ten years :), also they sold the pub on about six months later and the new boss wouldnt have had me anyway.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    No. I genuinely only take a day sick if I am ill. In the past four years I've only had one day off sick, though I'm going to be off next week as I am in 'post op'...
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

If I'm ill enough to be off sick, then off sick I shall be. I feel no guilt as my health comes before any other consideration.

It infuriates me and my co-workers when people come into work when they're clearly not fit to be there, almost as if they're acting like some hero.

They're stupid, and the most they'll achieve is making themselves feel worse, and then being off for longer, and also potentially making other people ill if they're sick with a virus.

The whole 'feeling guilty for being off sick' mentality we have in this country is a stupid throwback to the 19th century and needs to be kicked into touch.