DLA (disabled living allowance)

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
how do you get it

Comments

• ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    You mean mobility, not motability.

Your neighbour may have other illnesses or disabilities that make him eligible for higher level DLA. Can't comment on that though, so you need to ensure you get legal advice on your own grandmother. They can help with that, but not the other old man. That's not for anyone else to comment on unless they can prove he's fraudulent in which case they should take it to the relevant authorities.

By the way, how do you know this neighbour of yours gets full DLA?
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    You have to be on top rate DLA to quality for the car
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to be 65 and under to claim DLA.

Someone who developed mobility needs after 65 would therefore not get it,

Those over 65 can claim attenedance allowance, but there is no mobility component to it, and mirrors DLA care component (except the lower rate, and a few deeming provisions)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    You have to have been claiming DLA before pensionable age to get it, once you are a pensioner then you get attendance allowance instead and that is not included in the motability scheme. Yu do not have to be completely unable to do anything for yourself and you can walk and still get DLA.There are many mental and other disabilities that are invisible.
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    You have to be on top rate DLA to quality for the car

Yes, but it's still not called the Motability allowance - the Motability scheme allows people who get higher level mobility allowance to put some of that allowance towards an adapted car.

You should still take your gran to get proper advice, and not try to bring other people's claims into it.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still work and get DLA, its not means tested.

You can get it if you need extra care in order to help you to get to work and live a 'normal' life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    You have to have been claiming DLA before pensionable age to get it, once you are a pensioner then you get attendance allowance instead and that is not included in the motability scheme. Yu do not have to be completely unable to do anything for yourself and you can walk and still get DLA.There are many mental and other disabilities that are invisible.

However the upper rate of DLA mobility component (AKA "free car"), is for those with a physical disability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how you qualify for this? My mum (77 years old) cannot because she gets attendance allowance. So she can't get the motability component so therefore housebound.
    Yet my neighbour gets it (63 years old), he can walk but still gets DLA and the motorbility component.. He walks round the block 4 times a day with his dog!

How do you qualify for top rate DLA. I thought you had to be severely disabled..ie cant do anything for yourself
    I would encourage you to report him to the
    fraud line
    0800 854 440
    or
    https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

You can do it anonymously. However you need to give details. Address (and name), together with WHEN and where.
    Good luck.
    Forum Member
    Dont think its fair the 'free car' scheme isnt for people over 65. Seems bit stupid. So they have to just stay in the house or use public transport/taxis
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    However the upper rate of DLA mobility component (AKA "free car"), is for those with a physical disability.

Wrong.if you get the high rate you can get a car( its not free) you can have an invisible disability and still get it.
    Forum Member
    Dont think its fair the 'free car' scheme isnt for people over 65. Seems bit stupid. So they have to just stay in the house or use public transport/taxis

Its not a free car, its costs the rate of the higher rate DLA, over £40 a week.
    Forum Member
    Wrong.if you get the high rate you can get a car( its not free) you can have an invisible disability and still get it.

Only if you get the higher rate mobility component. Not the higher rate care component.
    Forum Member
    Only if you get the higher rate mobility component. Not the higher rate care component.

Yes the getting around component, and you do not have to have a physical disability to get it. autism for instance.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would encourage you to report him to the
    fraud line
    0800 854 440
    or
    https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

You can do it anonymously. However you need to give details. Address (and name), together with WHEN and where.
    Good luck.

Maybe he's taking on his Dr's advice! The person could be suffering badly once back in the comfort of his home, no-one knows the full facts here :eek: If the OP wants to know whether his/her relative is entitled to the mobility component then surely the first port of call should be to the Benefit Agency for advice :confused:
    Forum Member
    Its not a free car, its costs the rate of the higher rate DLA, over £40 a week.

well still think its unfair! ageist !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In some parts of the country its known as "free car", I suggest you take it up with them,

In regard to the disability being "invisible". The legislation refers to a physical disability. It would be highly likely the effects of the disability would be visible, as someone need to be unable or virtually unable to walk.
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Maybe he's taking on his Dr's advice! The person could be suffering badly once back in the comfort of his home, no-one knows the full facts here :eek: If the OP wants to know whether his/her relative is entitled to the mobility component then surely the first port of call should be to the Benefit Agency for advice :confused:

The Benefits Agency won't be able to give any more than generic advice, and won't give specific details about individual claimants.

It's not for the OP to decide whether his neighbour is eligible or not. As another poster said, he may be walking on medical advice but still be eligible for higher rate mobility DLA.
    Forum Member

Thats may be so, my father is in the same position, worked hard outside all his life, got arthritis in both knees just after his 65th birthday, had to claim AA and does not get a motability car, they had to sell their home and downsize to get a new car that he was able to drive( an automatic as he cant press the pedals without severe pain.

The system is all wrong.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a carer for the person. will help . the carer will also get about £58 per week.
    Forum Member
    In some parts of the country its known as "free car", I suggest you take it up with them,

In regard to the disability being "invisible". The legislation refers to a physical disability. It would be highly likely the effects of the disability would be visible, as someone need to be unable or virtually unable to walk.

Not official its not, what parts??

It is not free, anyone who thinks it is, is wrong.

You do not need to have a physical disability to get the higher rate of both DLA components.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Benefits Agency won't be able to give any more than generic advice, and won't give specific details about individual claimants.

It's not for the OP to decide whether his neighbour is eligible or not. As another poster said, he may be walking on medical advice but still be eligible for higher rate mobility DLA.

I was replying to someone who told the OP to report the old man for fraud.

BIB That's what my post was saying.
    Forum Member
    Having a carer for the person. will help . the carer will also get about £58 per week.

Unless they care so long that they cant work, then its deducted from income support so in effect they get nothing.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People over 65 get a state pension, free bus pass and lots of other benefits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not official its not, what parts??

It is not free, anyone who thinks it is, is wrong.

You do not need to have a physical disability to get the higher rate of both DLA components.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    I was replying to some who told the OP to report the old man for fraud.

Ah gotcha - I think I was probably replying to the wrong post given the next bit...no sleep in 3 days >_<
    BIB That's what my post was saying.

Haha, it was as well - that shows you my current attention span!