Options

Are charity collectors allowed to harrass you.

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Today at the exit of the supermarket there was a guy collecting for disabled children. All well and good however as I had already given to two other similar collections earlier up the town, as well as my monthly charity donations. I did not give any to this guy.

He was in the main entrance lobby so could not avoid walking by him. I thought if I don't make eye contact then I can just leave. However he then said quite loud "We are collecting here for DISABLED children" (he didn't shout disabled just emphasised it a bit). I ignored him and carried on walking, I could have spoke but I do not want to justify myself to every charity worker that I see.

As I said I have my selected charities I cannot give to every single one going. I'm not heartless but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Comments

• Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person who allows you to feel harassed is yourself, and I doubt minimum wage charity bods would achieve that.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I treat them like I do beggers, ignore them, if they push it I tell them to p*$$ off. Can't stand any type of sales people that try and cold sell to you.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Nelson does a sketch on this on "Well Funny People".
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a problem locally with East Europeans who sell the Big Issue and practically shove it in your face.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    We have a problem locally with East Europeans who sell the Big Issue and practically shove it in your face.

"Beeeeeeg issueeee pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease".
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I just ignore them and go about my business.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get a lot of them at the supermarkets where I live. The ones I've seen have been polite but I only usually give money when they're from the local animal rescue centres.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I once read that strictly speaking, people collecting for charity aren't allowed to speak out and are only allowed to rattle their can(?). If they shout out for people to donate, it could be seen as causing a public nuisance or some such? I might be wrong though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I thought I once read that strictly speaking, people collecting for charity aren't allowed to speak out and are only allowed to rattle their can(?). If they shout out for people to donate, it could be seen as causing a public nuisance or some such? I might be wrong though...

Yeah I'm sure i've heard something like that too.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I thought they weren't allowed to rattle or shake their tins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Beeeeeeg issueeee pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease".

Almost there, Saints. ;)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Sainsbury's today and there were kids at the end of the checkout with buckets.
    It seems to happen in that shop more than others.
    Paid for 6 items with a credit card.
    Should have let them pack them for me before I got the card out.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't remember for sure but im pretty sure their not allowed to start up conversations (unless the other person starts it, I presume) or otherwise shout out to people on the street.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed.

One of the rules states: 'Collectors should not cause danger, obstruction, inconvenience or annoyance to any person'

This from the website: http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Street-collection-programme/1400012728085/1400012728085
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Sainsbury's today and there were kids at the end of the checkout with buckets.
    It seems to happen in that shop more than others.

Paid for 6 items with a credit card.
    Should have let them pack them for me before I got the card out.

Yeah they're always in Sainsburys here too. A very famous face helped them out recently so no doubt there would've been a huge queue at that checkout.
  • Options
    g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Son used to do collection days. So info from him :p NOT allowed to rattle or yell!

Charities have to get permission to place collectors/have collection days, so a complaint because of collectors being 'smart a***s' is would not be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Depends what charity it is whether I donate or not, and I hate the hard sell some give you. One chased me down the street once on my lunch hour trying to embarrass me but I just told him to p*** off.

I don't understand the foreign Big Issue sellers, surely our homeless have got enough to contend with, without having to compete with foreigners for donations? Definitely don't give to them, gawd I sound like a right scrooge. :o
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I couldn't remember for sure but im pretty sure their not allowed to start up conversations (unless the other person starts it, I presume) or otherwise shout out to people on the street.

The OP isn't about one in the street, is it. They can do whatever the supermarket allows them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of our local big issue seller is a foreign lady, always chatting on her Iphone while randomly shouting "Big Issue" to people as they walk past.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody is allowed to harass you. If they were the word harass would kinda lose its meaning.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiance26 wrote: »
    one of our local big issue seller is a foreign lady, always chatting on her Iphone while randomly shouting "Big Issue" to people as they walk past.

That's hilarious! :D
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Today at the exit of the supermarket there was a guy collecting for disabled children. All well and good however as I had already given to two other similar collections earlier up the town, as well as my monthly charity donations. I did not give any to this guy.

He was in the main entrance lobby so could not avoid walking by him. I thought if I don't make eye contact then I can just leave. However he then said quite loud "We are collecting here for DISABLED children" (he didn't shout disabled just emphasised it a bit). I ignored him and carried on walking, I could have spoke but I do not want to justify myself to every charity worker that I see.

As I said I have my selected charities I cannot give to every single one going. I'm not heartless but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I agree it's annoying. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling that harassment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member

Personally, I don't recall anyone shaking or rattling their tins at me, but I've had them obstructing my path (mostly in the entrance of a supermarket) or just generally getting in my way. What pisses me off no end is when they try to tell you about the charity they're collecting for - and when you tell them you aren't interested - they answer with, "Listen....". 'No, I don't want to [censored] listen...that's why I'm ignoring you!'
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it's annoying. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling that harassment.

I forgot to put down that I was the only person leaving the store at the time. There was no-one coming in either so this guy was directing his voice at me.