Windows 7 login problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a desktop PC about 18 months old.
Until today I've had no problems at all. Sadly when I went to logon to my PC today I got to the blue screen & then entered my password as usual.

It went as it normally does but stayed on the blue screen & came back with the following message

"The user Profile Service service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

I logged off then loaded up again, got to the blue screen entered my password again but got the same message above

So can anyone give me some advice as to what caused this & how do I rectify it? If it is a full reboot that's needed can I save my files on the hard dive first?

In my old PC with windows XP you could enter the bios (I think it was called) in safe mode to get the data? I have entered the bios on this (hitting delete before the blue screen appears) but then have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To enter safe mode, keep tapping the F8 key while the PC boots up.

It sounds like you have a corrupted user profile. It happens.

Are there any other user accounts on the PC? What you would do then is to create a new user account for yourself and copy the data over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there

I have tried tapping the F8 key but only get the page with - well to be honest I'm not too sure what it is I get? In fact it's the same screen I get if I hit the delete key on start up. One things for sure I can't see anything that says safe mode?

Yes mine is the only account on the PC. If I ever get in again I shall create another one, but then again can I create a new one now?

I have looked at some of the answers on the net but to be honest I haven't a clue what they are talking about.

If you or anyone else can give me some advice in simple terms/language it would be very much appreciated
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuk wrote: »
    In my old PC with windows XP you could enter the bios (I think it was called) in safe mode to get the data? I have entered the bios on this (hitting delete before the blue screen appears) but then have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
    The BIOS and Safe Mode are two very different things. If you do not know what you are doing then stay out of the BIOS completely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there

I have tried tapping the F8 key but only get the page with - well to be honest I'm not too sure what it is I get? In fact it's the same screen I get if I hit the delete key on start up. One things for sure I can't see anything that says safe mode?

Yes mine is the only account on the PC. If I ever get in again I shall create another one, but then again can I create a new one now?

I have looked at some of the answers on the net but to be honest I haven't a clue what they are talking about.

If you or anyone else can give me some advice in simple terms/language it would be very much appreciated
    There is something very wrong there.

Pressing the F8 key should lead to a simple text menu with various options one of which is Safe Mode. It should not go anywhere near the BIOS.

This is what you should see

http://www.w7forums.com/attachments/windows-7-safe-mode-png.527/

or something very like it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I remember that black screen from another PC I had trouble with. Sadly can't get to it on this PC & I have tried. The screen I get has quite a lot of information on it, if I could get a picture it may help? Think I shall have to sleep on it & try again tomorrow.

Thanks anways
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd have one more go tonight.

Switched on the PC & kept tapping F8.

This brought up a dark screen with a box in the middle, the box gives me the following options

SATA SM:ASUS DVD RAM GH92N
    GENERIC-Multi Card 1.00
    SATA SN: ST3500413AS
    Enter setup

(pictures of up & down arrows here) to move selection ENTER to select boot drive. Esc to boot using defaults.

If I press any of the first three I end up going to the blue Windows front page to logon - which of course I cannot do because of the problem mentioned in my first post.

If I press the last one (enter setup) that takes me to the Center Setup - BIOS Utility which is the page I've mentioned earlier about me having no idea what it is.

To my knowledge I've not changed any settings to get out I just press escape.

If anyone could offer further assistance it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get into the safe mode option by pressing the space-bar whilst the PC was booting up. This brought up the option of then pressing F8 to enter the safe mode options. I choose the first option Safe Mode (others were Safe Mode with networking or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

After selecting the first one the blue screen then appears & put in my password as I would do if starting normally in windows.

I am logged in as Administrator - Password protected & I've gone to the control panel but it won't allow me to do anything other than change my picture & possibly password (neither which I have done).

I click on manage accounts or change user account control setting but nothing happens. One box that did does appear is one entitled User Profiles. This box contains my user profile name & one called default.

The only options for the two, is my user profile delete & for the user profile it says copy to. I've not done anything to them.

Thanks in advance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get into the safe mode option by pressing the space-bar whilst the PC was booting up. This brought up the option of then pressing F8 to enter the safe mode options. I choose the first option Safe Mode (others were Safe Mode with networking or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

After selecting the first one the blue screen then appears & put in my password as I would do if starting normally in windows.

I am logged in as Administrator - Password protected & I've gone to the control panel but it won't allow me to do anything other than change my picture & possibly password (neither which I have done).

I click on manage accounts or change user account control setting but nothing happens. One box that did does appear is one entitled User Profiles. This box contains my user profile name & one called default.

The only options for the two, is my user profile delete & for the user profile it says copy to. I've not done anything to them.

Thanks in advance
    What make of computer do you have? many computers have an F key option to bring up a boot menu (which it seems you have got by pressing F8). This allows you to choose what device you boot the PC off, eg the hard drive (as normal) a CD/DVD or even from the network (though that option is probably not a lot of use in a domestic installation).

Unless your computer is very old I cannot think of any sane reason why any computer maker would choose F8 to bring up the boot menu as it's been used by Windows for years.

Anyway. Try booting up normally and see what happens. You never know your luck. :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks in advance
    Your PC isn't acting in the standard way at all. You can't get into Safe Mode by pressing F8, but you can by pressing the spacebar? Very odd indeed.

Also, your user account is called Administrator? That is also very odd on Windows 7. Did someone setup this PC for you, or did it come from the shop like this?

Anyway, once in Safe Mode you should be able to create a new user account (not user profile) under Manage Accounts. If this account also has administrator rights you will be able to access the documents etc. saved on your PC.

Come back here if you have been able to create a new account and logged in to the PC with it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,506
    Forum Member
    Do we know the make and model of computer here? Without that it's hard to give the best advice (though it may be nothing to do with the BIOS). Some suppliers/organizations use a customized (nobbled I call it) BIOS and using F8 for setup sounds like it could be one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the hints & advice thus far - not done anything with PC today as I've been working.

As for the make it's an ASUS Desktop CM6431 - which I must admit at the time was the cheapest they had at Comet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to do a system restore (can't remember if it was in safe mode) to get into my PC when this happened. Since then it has worked ok & I've managed to login ok.

Today the problem has started again. For some reason I cannot do a system restore as it says I've not created a system restore point - I've never done so since I got the PC

When the problem happened back in January I created another user account which I'm using to type this. I shared the files with this account from the one that now won't allow me to sign in again.

Can any give me some advice on how to get into my account, because I would like to at least share the bookmarks from Firefox. I can get into the program files & documents in both accounts. But I have no bookmarks in the 2nd account

Thanks in advance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly no one can offer any advice so it looks like all is lost?

Thanks anyways
  • Fruit_FlyFruit_Fly Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly no one can offer any advice so it looks like all is lost?
    It's a bit fiddly, but not difficult.

# First save your current bookmarks:
    Go to 'history', and choose 'show all history'
    Under 'Import and backup' choose 'export bookmarks to html'

# Next rescue your old Firefox bookmarks. They are saved in backup bookmarks files in your old Windows profile, you need the most recent one:
    Look under c:\Users\'youroldusername'\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bookmarkbackups for the backed upbookmark files. They have a .json extension.
    Note the link to and name of the most recent .json file.
    Open your working account's Firefox, go to 'History' and choose 'show all history'.
    Choose 'import and backup' then choose 'restore'.
    Choose 'restore from file', and go to the directory with the backup file from above.
    The bookmarks will be loaded into your new Firefox.

# Next you need to reload your exported bookmarks, because when you loaded up the json file it overwrote them.
    Go to 'Import and backup' again.
    Choose 'Import bookmarks from html'.
    Your recent bookmarks will be added to the old ones you just imported, in a sub-list.
    All you need to do is tidy the bookmarks up.

Hope that helps.
    :)