Options

a junk email coming from my email address

Just received a junk email with my email address (so couldn't block it). Didn't click on it but the header is Apple Update Info. I don't have Apple. Is this evidence that someone is hacking into my account?

I am in Outlook (who have taken over hotmail) and they are in the process of letting me update my security info (outdated phone no).

I also originally asked them how to delete my automatic email password (that pops up when I log in). I am in Mozilla Firefox with windows 7. They said firefox history and declick active logins. I have done this but it has made no difference. My email account settings just go to a blank page. How can I stop the automatic password popping up?

Comments

• Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »
    Just received a junk email with my email address (so couldn't block it). Didn't click on it but the header is Apple Update Info. I don't have Apple. Is this evidence that someone is hacking into my account?

I am in Outlook (who have taken over hotmail) and they are in the process of letting me update my security info (outdated phone no).

I also originally asked them how to delete my automatic email password (that pops up when I log in). I am in Mozilla Firefox with windows 7. They said firefox history and declick active logins. I have done this but it has made no difference. My email account settings just go to a blank page. How can I stop the automatic password popping up?

Quite simple, you have a virus which has hijacked your Outlook contacts folder and is sending out emals. Get a reputatbale antivirus program - AVG and Avast do free ones, but will keep encouraging you to buy products, but you don't have to - and scan your system. That should flush the virus out.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member
    Is this evidence that someone is hacking into my account?

Not necessarily. It might just be someone spoofing your email address to make it look like it came from your account. If you still have access to your account and can change the password, then change it just to be on the safe side.

Have you asked Firefox to remember your password for your Outlook account? If so, go to Tools then Options then Security and under Saved Passwords find the entry for Outlook and remove it. Also, go to Outlook and Sign Out of your account and the next time you log in, make sure the Remember Me option is not selected.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,853
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It might just be someone spoofing your email address to make it look like it came from your account. If you still have access to your account and can change the password, then change it just to be on the safe side.

Have you asked Firefox to remember your password for your Outlook account? If so, go to Tools then Options then Security and under Saved Passwords find the entry for Outlook and remove it. Also, go to Outlook and Sign Out of your account and the next time you log in, make sure the Remember Me option is not selected.

I have checked this and the email password is not listed on it.
    The exception window won't let me type in it else I would enter the email password here....how can I access it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Quite simple, you have a virus which has hijacked your Outlook contacts folder and is sending out emals. Get a reputatbale antivirus program - AVG and Avast do free ones, but will keep encouraging you to buy products, but you don't have to - and scan your system. That should flush the virus out.

I already have McAffee and Malwarebytes
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already have McAffee and Malwarebytes

McAfee is rubbish, so consider an alternative such as Bitdefender free.

Do a scan with Malwarebytes. Also, change your email password. That's all you can do really.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    99% of the time it is not you sending the email.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The exception window won't let me type in it else I would enter the email password here....how can I access it?

You don't.

When you enter a user name and password into a site Firefox usually pops up a prompt to remember those details. If you look carefully the bit that says "Remember password" is actually a drop down list. if you click the arrow you can select the option "Never remember password for this site". This creates the exception list.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member

Go to Outlook website and Sign Out of your account. Then select Sign In again and where you enter your username and password, make sure the "Keep me signed in" tick box is not selected - it should then ask for your password every time you log in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As others have said the chances are that the e-mail has never been within a million miles of your e-mail account. I am forever getting messages sent to myself that are all spoofed.

If you know what to look for you can easily confirm this by reading the full header for the message which shows amongst loads of other stuff where it really came from. Odd therefore that all these messages I supposedly sent to myself have totally different originating addresses (or not really) :D

As for the Outlook login. It could be Firefox remembering the password or it might be the website. Seems you've looked at Firefox's saved passwords and it might not be there. So try deleting all your browsing history and cookies. Then go back to the Outlook website and see if it still remembers who you are.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simple, you have a virus which has hijacked your Outlook contacts folder and is sending out emals.

If the OP's contact list was being read by a virus, people on his list would get emails purporting to come from him. More likely a spammer has a program generating random email addresses.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simple, you have a virus which has hijacked your Outlook contacts folder and is sending out emals.
    That's usually not the case.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    99% of the time it is not you sending the email.
    This I would agree with - it's more likely that they have forged the sending email address (as someone mentioned earlier)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Go to Outlook website and Sign Out of your account. Then select Sign In again and where you enter your username and password, make sure the "Keep me signed in" tick box is not selected - it should then ask for your password every time you log in.

I am in outlook/hotmail....it just says "keep me signed in" and I never click on that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As others have said the chances are that the e-mail has never been within a million miles of your e-mail account. I am forever getting messages sent to myself that are all spoofed.

If you know what to look for you can easily confirm this by reading the full header for the message which shows amongst loads of other stuff where it really came from. Odd therefore that all these messages I supposedly sent to myself have totally different originating addresses (or not really) :D

As for the Outlook login. It could be Firefox remembering the password or it might be the website. Seems you've looked at Firefox's saved passwords and it might not be there. So try deleting all your browsing history and cookies. Then go back to the Outlook website and see if it still remembers who you are.

I have cleared recent history (no instruction for anything else) and cookies and active logins....still no joy, i.e. the automatic password still pops up when I log in my name in my email account.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Same thing is happening with me, has been happening for about 3 years now and now i've simply setup a rule to ignore emails from 'myself' reaching my inbox.

It's definitely not a virus, I do scans weekly and have had no virus warnings. It started happening to me when I was applying for jobs and I must have either signed up or applied for a job that was actually a fake listing and that's how they grabbed my email address. Since then I've had spam from myself arriving in my inbox, and it even is CC-ing it to other people. Changing my email password did nothing.

Believe it or not, I even queried it with a policeman who was working in the Internet crime department but from his reaction, it didn't seem like something worth chasing up.

I do believe its just a case of spoofing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. The problem is now sorted! :)

I found the automated password listed as "loginlive" (was looking for hotmail).

Thanks for putting my mind at rest also re. getting emails from your own email address. Glad to hear it is just a spoof and not a hacker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never quite understood the logic of sending an e-mail pretending to come from the recipient. After all how many people send themselves e-mails? Unless you're Billy no-mates and the only messages you get are your own. :D

OK it might help get through the spam filter but surely anyone seeing an e-mail from themselves in their inbox is going to go WTF is this and click the delete button immediately (well anyone with half a functioning brain cell left is surely?)