Netgear DG834G Admin Menus

I have a nine year old Netgear DG834Gv2 router which has served me very well. But I'm having problems accessing all of the Admin menu items. However I don't think it's the router that is causing the problems, more like the changes in browser functions over the years.

I'm not able to access the Admin page at all through Internet Explorer v11 - I enter the IP address, login and password and the browser just sits there with "Waiting for 192.168.0.1" and goes no further.

Using Chrome or Firefox I can access the admin page but on first display I only get three of the menu items on the left hand side - Setup Wizard, Basic Settings, ADSL Settings. In order to see all the menu items, I have to refresh the page (usually more than once).

Assuming I've now got all the menu items displayed, if I select for example Router Status, the middle of the page now shows Account Name and Firmware version but nothing after that - no ADSL port information. The browser activity indicator will spin in a busy mode but then I'll get a "the connection has been reset" message displayed and the help text in the third column is not updated for the current page.

Similarly if I choose something like Schedule in order to limit the times internet is accessible. Part of the page will be displayed so I can tick "Every Day" or whatever, but the Time of Day isn't always displayed and if it is, there is no Apply or Cancel buttons available so that I can make the changes permanent.

I'm currently using firmware version DG834GV2_V3.01.38 which appears to be the latest but have also gone back to DG834GV2_V3.01.25 with the same results. Router is connected to the PC via a cable.

It is very likely to be a browser setting which is preventing proper access as I like to keep my browser restricted as much as possible, but when it didn't work in IE with very little in the way of changes, then I'm beginning to clutch at straws. Not being able to access all the menu items isn't restricting me in any way, I'm just curious to know what is causing the issue. Nor am I interested in "Buy a more up to date router".

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's your browser that's the problem.

Think of the router as a web server that hasn't been updated for years. There are now very different standards used for websites, so newer browsers can't cope with viewing the router.

Try different browsers until you find one that works.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried with other PCs perhaps with different OS to see if it is router or PC giving issue?

Does router have wifi? Perhaps if you connect by wifi and try it. This would indicate an ethernet driver/hardware issue if wifi worked.

Have you tried updating ethernet drivers on PC?

You say you are not interested in a new router but in all honesty, this is probably the best thing to do. I would bet the problem you have would go away instantly. New router won't speed up your internet, but you will be able to stream videos from PC to mobiles/tablets very easily without batting an eyelid.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    It's your browser that's the problem.

Think of the router as a web server that hasn't been updated for years. There are now very different standards used for websites, so newer browsers can't cope with viewing the router.

Try different browsers until you find one that works.

Indeed you are right, it works fine on IE8 running on XP. However, it also works on Firefox v30 on XP but not on Firefox v30 on Win8.1.
    oilman wrote: »
    Have you tried with other PCs perhaps with different OS to see if it is router or PC giving issue?

Does router have wifi? Perhaps if you connect by wifi and try it. This would indicate an ethernet driver/hardware issue if wifi worked.

Have you tried updating ethernet drivers on PC?

You say you are not interested in a new router but in all honesty, this is probably the best thing to do. I would bet the problem you have would go away instantly. New router won't speed up your internet, but you will be able to stream videos from PC to mobiles/tablets very easily without batting an eyelid.

Yup, I should have tried the old XP PC before making this thread. I can access the admin menus fine on IE8 there via a wireless connection. I agree a new fancy router would be "better" than what I have but the current one provides what I need - I don't have any wireless devices I need to stream videos to except from the old XP machine which doesn't get much use and a very old Nokia N78.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I have a similar retirement age Linksys Modem/Router/WAP which works great, but it has exactly the same problem with the Admin pages. Wired or Wireless. Not just a Netgear problem it would seem.

IE11 just does not work, though IE8 was no problem.
    Chrome, the latest version only gets partial pages, it used to be OK.

My internet enabled TV rather oddly is still OK and that uses a version of the Opera Browser.

I have tried the Development Mode of IE11 where you can apparently simulate older versions of IE but I can't figure out how to use that feature.

To get to that go to Customise... and you can add F12 Developer Tools button to your Command Bar.

It is something to do with security features of modern Web Browsers and the outdated Web interface of the Modem/Router. A shame just to bin a perfectly good working product, but what can you do.

I'm admitting defeat and looking to buy a new Modem/Router with updated Gbs Wired Network speeds, and complying with the new Wireless standards like ac.

Despite what you say, maybe take an easy route.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Despite what you say, maybe take an easy route.

I'm fortunate that I still have an XP machine with IE8 so I can still access all admin menu options. Also, there's nothing significant in the admin tools that I'm not able to access with Firefox on my Win8.1 machine so I can still use my ageing router.

But yes, a new router with improved technology will obviously prove better in the long run, just a shame we are kind of "forced" into an upgrade when technology moves on so fast that the older equipment is no longer supported.