Is Plaistow a good area?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
Forum Member
I've made an offer to a flat there as its cheap and got ok transport link. But I've also heard of some reputation of the area. I'm renting in Islington and I could just about to buy a small flat here but it means I would have to pay a lot more each month. What is your advice?

Comments

• jkainjkain Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never lived there myself, my mate in work does and its basically a cross between the bronx and beruit. Sorry to scare you, but he told me the other day there's been two murders in the past week, one stabbing and one bludgeoned to death outside a pub. :eek::eek:. Not even big news items anymore.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but in a word NO.

I've lived in East London all my life and certain places I avoid - Plaistow being one of them.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but in a word NO.

I've lived in East London all my life and certain places I avoid - Plaistow being one of them.

Have to agree with Radiomaniac - I've lived in East London since the age of 4 and Plaistow is one of the areas I avoid. Can't remember the last time I was there - I must have been about 18 and I'm 32 now.

Wouldn't consider buying a place in Plaistow - look more north-east Newham i.e Forest Gate or Manor Park. Not Plaistow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my partner lives there, and as far as i know nothing major has happened there, well nothing really, but there was this one time a while back now when someone stabbed someone for parking in front of the other person's house.,, thats about it really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B*gger me, I thought Plaistow was in Cornwall. :D

However, it's Padstow I was thinking about ... Rick Stein etc.
    Why not move there? Much better than east London. :)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but in a word NO.

Whilst I wouldn't avoid it (it was my old stamping ground in my youth) I wouldn't want to live there either.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    By co-incidence, I've just read a story about a woman who set fire to a shop/flat in Plaistow last year, killing a 100 year old relative of hers that lived inside.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with Radiomaniac - I've lived in East London since the age of 4 and Plaistow is one of the areas I avoid. Can't remember the last time I was there - I must have been about 18 and I'm 32 now.

Wouldn't consider buying a place in Plaistow - look more north-east Newham i.e Forest Gate or Manor Park. Not Plaistow.
    Surely not Forest Gate!:eek: It's FAR worse than Plaistow IMO.
    East Ham is quite nice now though. Just the next station along and it's a pleasant place to live in general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    sirpipe wrote: »
    B*gger me, I thought Plaistow was in Cornwall. :D

However, it's Padstow I was thinking about ... Rick Stein etc.
    Why not move there? Much better than east London. :)

Padstow is beautiful,but you need to be a millionaire first:eek:
    Forum Member
    Artymags wrote: »
    Surely not Forest Gate!:eek: It's FAR worse than Plaistow IMO.
    East Ham is quite nice now though. Just the next station along and it's a pleasant place to live in general.

Ahem! :mad: ;)

Forest Gate at it's worst is like East Ham, at it's best (the bit I live in obviously ;)) is like Wanstead. The majority of it is like Stratford though.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    I've made an offer to a flat there as its cheap and got ok transport link. But I've also heard of some reputation of the area. I'm renting in Islington and I could just about to buy a small flat here but it means I would have to pay a lot more each month. What is your advice?

A good area for what? To be mugged, stabbed, caught up in gang violence??!! :eek:

Not totally serious there.....but it's not the sort of place most people would want to live. However, having grown up in Tower Hamlets it doesn't phase me. Depends how much minerals you've got I suppose!

There are certainly worse places, like Stratford or Custom House, and slightly nicer places (in my opinion) like Manor Park.

fF
    Forum Member
    On the other hand, Plaistow is close to Newham General Hospital - handy for emergencies.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Isn't this area going to benefit from some regenertion though - with the olympics and all that.

Might it not be a good investment because its cheap now but the value of the property will rise disproportinately in 5 years due to the regeneration/olympic boost?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plaistow is the pits. My sister lived in Wanstead for a bit - she thought it was going to be awful - but it was actually nice. It's about the same distance out, much greener, nicer, with better housesm, & being on the central line you can go straight into the centre of town easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm living in Plaistow for 2 years.I'm 30 years old female from Poland and I never had any problem on the street etc..It is not Chelsea,but very cosmopolitan and same as most areas is London.Never heard of any stabbing or seen gangs ..
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plaistow cosmopolitan? The only cosmo thing about Plaistow is it is home to lots of different ethnicities, that's where it ends. I'd sooner have Plaistow over Manor Park though.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First post resurrects a 6 year old thread? Colour me suspicious...
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't notice that, saw November but initially thought that was November just gone. Six years - I'm suspicious too, are they about to perform Monty Python's spam-a-lot? Or WUM?
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    isnt it dodge city there??
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I grew up near there and still have some family there- wouldn't live anywhere near there if you paid me!
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you move to Plaidstow...watch out for Patricia :D .....ah Plaidstow Patricia the opening lyrics to that song are so good, they dont make songs like that anymore (RIP Ian Drury)

Lyrics " Arseholes, bastards, ****ing ***** and pricks

aerosol, the bricks
    a lawless brat from a council flat - oh, oh
    a little bit of this and a little bit of that - oh, oh
    dirty tricks

from the mile end road
    to the match-stick beacontree
    pulling strokes and taking liberties
    she liked it best when she went up west - oh, oh
    you can go to hell with your 'well, well, well' - oh, oh

who said good things always come in threes?
    reds and yellows, purples, blues and greens
    she turned the corner before she turned fifteen
    she got into a mess on the nhs - oh, oh
    it runs down your arms and settles in your palms - oh, oh

keep your eyeballs white and keep your needle clean
    plaistow patricia, plaistow patricia

her tits had dropped, her arse was getting spread
    she lost some teeth, she nearly lost the thread
    she did some smack with a chinese chap - oh, oh, oh
    an affair began with charlie chan - oh, oh

well, that was just before she really lost her head
    now she owns a showroom down the mile end road
    and her outer garments are the latest mode
    there's a siamese cat in the council flat - oh, oh
    the finest grains for my lady's veins - oh, oh

and when it gets out of order, she goes away for a bit
    ohh, go on, girl"
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that some locals try and make it sound posh by pronouncing it like Plars-tow rather than Place-tow.
    Forum Member
    I understand that some locals try and make it sound posh by pronouncing it like Plars-tow rather than Place-tow.
    It has always been 'Plars-tow', it originally belonged to the Plaz (as in Plaza) family.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    It has always been 'Plars-tow', it originally belonged to the Plaz (as in Plaza) family.

Apparently the Mountfitchet family owned the district and one of them married into the 'de Plaitz' family, pronounced 'plahz'... Or that's one story, anyway.

But, yeah, it should be pronounced "plah-stow", apparently...