Options

Best use of a song or piece of music in a film.

MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
Forum Member
✭✭
I loved :

Mad World in Donnie Darko

Perfect Day in Trainspotting

Marriage of Figaro duet from Shawshank

Maria Callas opera piece from Philadelphia.

All the sad ones! :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Falling Slowly (From the film Once)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Earth Angel

...in Back to the Future...gets me everytime!
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here's some that stick out in my mind.

The Warriors Nowhere to run to
    Rollerball Toccat and Fugue in D Minor
    the Graduate The sound of silence ( and the rest of the soundtrack to be honest )

almost forgot Also Sprach Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oasis song used in the fight at the end of Snatch. Brilliant audio/visual mix.

...and all music and images in Lock Stock.
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Any of the music used in the Lord Of the Rings films, especially at the end of the first film when Sam climbs into Frodos boat

Also the flying theme in ET is terrific
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    Any of the music used in the Lord Of the Rings films, especially at the end of the first film when Sam climbs into Frodos boat

Hav to agree with you on this, but the best song in it, i'd to say the one Pippin is singing to Denethor when Faramir rides to meet his doom in order to reclaim Osgiliath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Mad World/Donnie Darko.

I also like:-

People Are Strange/The Lost Boys
    End Of The World/Girl Interrupted
    Down With The Sickness (lounge version)/Dawn Of The Dead remake :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the soundtrack from Love Actually is used to great effect.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd put lots of music created by Ennio Morricone for many films right up there.
    'Once Upon a Time in the West' I'd put right up there....the entire score for that film.

Other notable films would be 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly', 'A Fistful of Dynamite', 'My Name is Nobody', and 'Once Upon a Time in America'. All Sergio Leone films as it happens, although Morricone has also done great music for many other good films too, one example of which is the music for a film called 'Burn'(Queimada) made in 1969 which I'd imagine not many people will have heard of. Very good use of music for that film that suited it well..

Other stuff I'd put right up there would be ......

John Barry's score for 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. 'We Have All the Time in the World' was used for great effect right at the end of the film.

Maurice Jarre's main theme for 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

Paul Giovanni for 'The Wicker Man'. The entire score.

Roy Budd for 'Get Carter'.

The Soundtrack for 'Nosferatu' (1979 version).

Nino Rota for 'The Godfather'.

Bernard Herrmann for 'Taxi Driver'.

Krzysztof Komeda for 'Rosemary's Baby' and 'The Fearless Vampire Killers'.

I've mainly listed entire scores, as the ones I've listed have used music for the best effect throughout the entire film and there have been several pieces of music from that score which worked really well within the respective film.
    One example of just one particular individual piece of music used within a film for best effect would be John Murphy's 'In the House - In a Heartbeat', used in '28 Days Later'.
    And one more,..... 'O Fortuna' used in 'Excalibur'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking primarily use of existing songs rather than specially composed soundtracks three that spring to mind are -

Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival)- An American Werewolf in London
    Where is my mind? (Pixies) - Fight Club
    Save Me (Aimee Mann) - Magnolia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what the piece of music is called but in the scene in Crash where Matt Dillon rescues Thandie Newton from the car wreck, the music playing is so beautiful, it really 'sucked' me into that scene, it's always a very emotional moment for me.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World' being used as a backdrop to some horrific war type stuff going on in a short scene from 'Full Metal Jacket'.

And going with the same theme in respect to war films, Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' being used for the helicopter attack on a village in 'Apocalypse Now'.
  • Options
    peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest Ride of the Valkyries, but was beaten to it!

I'll have to go for my second choice then!

Goodfellas has particually effective use of contemopary songs during many scenes, but I think the use of Derek and the Dominos' Layla during the Gang murder scene, culminating in Joe Peschi's character's death, is absolutely stunning.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Quentin Tarantino is usually pretty good. There's the famous scene from Pulp Fiction but his music choices are good throughout.

Chopin in The Pianist
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bright Eyes in Watership Down.

Kicks off the crying every time!
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amidala wrote: »
    Hav to agree with you on this, but the best song in it, i'd to say the one Pippin is singing to Denethor when Faramir rides to meet his doom in order to reclaim Osgiliath.

Beat me to it. A beautiful song juxtaposed against a pointless sacrifice - so, so sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »

Ooh yeah- i love this bit of music. In fact I really liked the whole lord of the rings soundtrack...
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're talking about songs which when you hear them bring certain films immediately to mind,I have a few to start with.

An excellent and bizarre music/movie scene was in the Coen brothers Millers Crossing,where there was a violent gangster shootout,all Tommy guns a blazing,to the tune of O' Danny Boy (or Londonderry Air,whichever title you prefer).One of my favourite Coen scenes,of which there are many.

And of course Steelers Wheel,Stuck In The Middle With You,which was the backdrop to the infamous so-called ear slicing scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Cheesy 80's classic Love Is In The Air always makes me think of the equally cheesy (but can't help but like it) Strictly Ballroom.

And is there anyone who doesn't instantly think of the 'pottery' scene in Ghost (the most gratuitous phallic symbol scene ever!:eek::D),when they hear Unchained Melody?

I also agree with the afformentioned Mad World/Donnie Darko collaboration.When I first heard the song on the radio I hated it,but after watching the film I absolutely loved it.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    'Where is my mind?' - Fight club
    'Lux Aeterna' - Requiem for a Dream
    'Perfect Day' - Trainspotting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    The film score from karate kid is a very good one especially the pan pipes and the same in kill bill, i think the name of the person is George Zamfir, he's done loads of top class scores.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Duellin' Banjos" in Deliverance.

"Isn't that pitiful? Talk about genetic deficiencies!"
    "Who's pickin' the banjo here?"

Classic.
  • Options
    Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    The opening theme from Blade Runner.

Fills me with a mixture of sadness and excitement every time I hear it. Combines beautifully with those opening shots of a futuristic Los Angeles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    The Doors "People Are Strange" in The Lost Boys . . . .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    jaccob wrote: »
    Falling Slowly (From the film Once)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc

LOVE that song, and film! :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Canned Heat - Napoleon Dynamite!