Options

Amy

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
First trailer has been released for "Amy" a documentary about Amy Winehouse produced by the chap who did "Senna".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97-pQJD6Hw

It's quite moving. Looks like the family have given them access to a lot of home movie footage that probably hasn't been seen before. Plenty of interview footage too.

I hope it helps inform people of the person Amy really was.

Comments

• Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was reading about the release of the film yesterday on this site.

I'm planning to go and see this, if and when I can when it comes out in three months' time.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading that Mitch is trying to stop production and threatening legal action for defamation of character as he says the film casts him in a negative light.

I remember there has always been quite a lot of negativity about him and suggestions that he was the fame ****. I tended to ignore those claims, but it does seem a little sad that the only thing apparently bothering him about the film is how it makes him look.

I suppose I would be cheesed off if a film made me look bad unfairly, but I wonder if it really is unfair or maybe just holds up a mirror he isn't ready to look into.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been getting a lot of critical acclaim, a lot of 5/5 reviews everywhere.

Asif Kapadia was on The One Show yesterday discussing the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    This has been getting a lot of critical acclaim, a lot of 5/5 reviews everywhere.

Asif Kapadia was on The One Show yesterday discussing the film.

Well if it it even half as good as Senna I think it will be exceptional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good documentary from the team behind Senna.

Charting Winehouse's life from her childhood, how she got started, her songwriting, becoming an artist, becoming successful, becoming famous, falling in love, her bf/husband Blake to the day she passed.

If there's a message - don't mix drink and drugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's a message - don't mix drink and drugs.

That's disappointing if that's the message it pushes because there was more to her story than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's disappointing if that's the message it pushes because there was more to her story than that.

You misunderstand. They weren't pushing any message, it was an admirable documentary BUT the documentary did focus on her decline and the main reason for her decline was drink and drugs.

So IF there was a message and when you watch the documentary you'll clearly see the state Amy got into, IF there had to be a message i'd say don't mix drink and drugs cos it f*cks you up.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see this.

I loved Amy, I was very sad when she died.

Taking away all the personal stuff, she actually seemed like such a normal and relatable girl (particularly before the B2B era got going). I hope to see this soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You misunderstand. They weren't pushing any message, it was an admirable documentary BUT the documentary did focus on her decline and the main reason for her decline was drink and drugs.

Sorry I wasn't very specific in what I said. What I meant was Amy also had her long term battle with an eating disorder which meant her body was weaker than it would have normally been. So it wasn't just drink and drugs. She was fighting three issues. And ultimately it was the eating issue and the alcohol issue that caused her sudden death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I wasn't very specific in what I said. What I meant was Amy also had her long term battle with an eating disorder which meant her body was weaker than it would have normally been. So it wasn't just drink and drugs. She was fighting three issues. And ultimately it was the eating issue and the alcohol issue that caused her sudden death.

Yes, that was also addressed in the doc. The documentary covers a lot of ground.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Two things, firstly you are right the documentary does deal with the eating disorder as well as drugs and alcohol and does suggest that her death was at least partly caused by bulimia. The film suggests of course that she was let down by her bf/husband and to some extent her father in how they actually didn't help with her addictions.

Secondly, the movie in charting this tragedy also shows you how incredibly brilliant an artist Amy was and there are some beautiful and funny vignettes of her as a girl just singing her wonderful music. So, it is also a tremendous insight into the artist and you won't leave the cinema without loving Amy a little more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the clarifications. I do intend to see it eventually. Can't handle seeing it in public in a cinema. Will need to wait for the home release.
  • Options
    newgrangenewgrange Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Such a loss and all the more tragic that there was such an inevitability about it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Two things, firstly you are right the documentary does deal with the eating disorder as well as drugs and alcohol and does suggest that her death was at least partly caused by bulimia. The film suggests of course that she was let down by her bf/husband and to some extent her father in how they actually didn't help with her addictions.

Secondly, the movie in charting this tragedy also shows you how incredibly brilliant an artist Amy was and there are some beautiful and funny vignettes of her as a girl just singing her wonderful music. So, it is also a tremendous insight into the artist and you won't leave the cinema without loving Amy a little more.

You summed up my thoughts on the Amy doc perfectly.
    Spot on assessment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already breaking records at the UK box office.

Amy has achieved the highest-grossing opening weekend by a British documentary at the UK box office. It might not seem like much but it has taken so far £520,528.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    This isn't being shown at my local cinema. I thought that it would be.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    This isn't being shown at my local cinema. I thought that it would be.
    It expands to twice as many screens this week.
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it last night - an excellent documentary/film.

I was a massive fan - being 24, I've not really been affected by any famous deaths until Amy passed. I saw her live a few times, followed her career closely and was genuinely gutted (but not massively surprised) when she died.

A few alarming things about the film. Firstly, how grounded and genuinely nice Amy seemed. I particularly liked the scene of her on holiday with her friend, showing her around the apartment - she had a great sense of humour and was genuinely only ever interested in the music side of her career, nothing else.

The other great scene I thought, was her live link to the Grammy's. Her response to seeing Tony Bennett was amazing, and the genuine shock when she won, even after all her success, was beautiful to see. In between all the drugs and media sensation, you could see that she was just a girl who was easily led by the people she loved most. Her dad said she didn't need to go to rehab in the first place, so she didn't go. Her dad said she had to carry on with her tour after her first overdose, so she did. (Until it was eventually cancelled). Blake said she should do heroin, so she did. It's clear that her security guard was a great influence on her, it's a shame that he wasn't introduced to her earlier on in her career.

Her relationship with Blake was remarkable. The footage of them together shows her like a teenager, completely in love. She idolised him, and he knew it. The footage of them using drugs is shocking, completely chilling. The casual way in which he talks about it is also chilling. She was like a lost puppy, following him around completely vunerable. The footage of them emerging from that hotel room, with cuts and bandages, smeared make up will always remain one of the most haunting things I've seen in the media.

I know people have their opinions about Amy's addiction and it will always be a debate, but some people are more vunerable to it than others. It's said multiple times that she just needed some authority, for people to say no to her. On the occasions they did, it worked but she always got tempted away. Money skews peoples view of her best interests, and the footage of her at that festival where she just refused to sing was heartbreaking to watch. Granted, she made that decision to do the shows in the first place, but a festival wasn't the place for her to come back. She should have done smaller shows, and I'm amazed that nobody in her management or close family put a block on it before even offering it her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was her own person too. Her troubles with alcohol and use of canabis began before she became famous. I don't think she could be described as being someone who could be led against her will either. I think she knew what she wanted and was very head strong. It's just the things she wanted were also unhealthy for her in the long run.

Her brother talked here, worth reading: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jun/23/amy-winehouse-growing-up-sister
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was her own person too. Her troubles with alcohol and use of canabis began before she became famous. I don't think she could be described as being someone who could be led against her will either. I think she knew what she wanted and was very head strong. It's just the things she wanted were also unhealthy for her in the long run.

Her brother talked here, worth reading: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jun/23/amy-winehouse-growing-up-sister

Yeah, obviously she was still drinking and using cannabis before Blake. I don't think she was blameless, obviously the choice is hers but she had a lot of people influencing her, particularly when it came to Blake, she was weak. Plus, all of the drugs and alcohol combined with her eating disorder was obviously a toxic mix.

Either way, it was a great watch. I really loved Amy's music, it was nice to see that she did seem to be a sweet person beneath it all, even amongst the fame and drugs. I do think that she was let down by her Dad and Blake, but if somebody is going to use drugs to the extent that she did, they would always end up doing so whatever their influences.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to see it twice now.

I would never have classed myself as much as a fan of hers before, though I did like a few tunes. (I am 42 male).

First time I watched it I thought it was very good, very sad, but with moments of brilliance and laughter (in the first half) and loved some of the unseen footage, and particularly how it revealed the songs to be so personal to her (though surprised her fiancé when she passed away was not mentioned, odd thing his he looks rather like a younger buffer version of her father).

Second time, I "enjoyed" it even more if that's the right word.

It definitely affected me more I found myself crying a few times and all the way through the credits.

She was such a cute, charming sparkling lady, until the darkness visibly took over.

For me the saddest moment was what she said to her friend after her big win at the Grammy's (?). Was like a sledgehammer. And some of those almost black and white photos (I think her skin just looked really grey (?) When things were very bad.

Anyhow, I do think this film will make folk appreciate her and love her more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD release comes with a nice few extras, especially footage of her early in her recording career, and an insightful commentary from the filmmakers.

This film has stayed with me since I saw it in its opening week. Seen it quite a few times, and have recommended it to many others like myself who did not know what she was really like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nominated for an Oscar and 2 Bafta awards. Really pleased for Asif Kapadia.