Options

Did anyone find Matt good looking on first impressions?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I recall thinking of Matt Smith as quite goofy and, to be honest, a little weird. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I got used to seeing his face all the time, but he scrubbed up well a few episodes in and although I didn't find him very good looking back then, looking back and rewatching episodes, my opinion has completely changed.

I remember the hype before Matt joined because David Tennant was supposed to be the "Ultimate Doctor Who hunk" and the one that girls lusted over. But in my opinion, Matt surpasses him!

I guess it's weird how your opinions change. I didn't like Series 6 when it was first on, but I loved it when I rewatched it. Same with Series 7, Part 1, which I hated then, but now it's a nice collection of stories.

Comments

• Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    No. I call him 'Odo Face', because his face seems almost fake like the shapeshifting character Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It just seems that his face has little to no characterisation to it.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think he's more attractive than Tennant, who is quite dull to look at really. I don't think Matt is as photogenic, and so I never saw his attractiveness until he was actually seen in the episodes themselves.

That being said, I think he looked quite different throughout and not just because of the shorter hair after Series 5 or the wig at the end. I mean sometimes he had a slightly tired look whilst acting, that seemed to rob him of looking quite so youthful. Some episodes (Victory of the Daleks, A Christmas Carol as examples) he seems to look very young. In others (most of Series 7) he looks older and a bit tired in places.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Interesting question.
    I think that the producers of any show take a good look at the actor's face, and they then use hair stylists and make-up artists to draw out what they want from the character. In Matt Smith's case, I think the Dr Who producers very effectively designed a haircut for him, and used make-up to give him the necessary "slightly nerdy, goofy" look which they envisaged for the character, and I think it worked very well. I think Matt looks a lot better "in real life" than he did when made up as Dr Who.
  • Options
    biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES. I remember seeing a photo of him when it was first announced that Matt was the new Doctor. He is stunning. One of the most beautiful faces ever on the telly.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked him because of his hands and the way he communicated using them. Which might seem a bit odd, but there you go. I later saw a picture of him filming Flesh and Stone and remember thinking he looked quite hot in one shot where he had a particularly intense expression on his face.

I do think he has the unconventional good look thing going on though. I do remember some on this forum compared him to Quasimodo when he was first cast , which seemed rather unfair and mean.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I call him 'Odo Face', because his face seems almost fake like the shapeshifting character Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It just seems that his face has little to no characterisation to it.

I strongly disagree with this, I think he has an extremely expressive face. Don't get what your saying whatsoever.
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did :)
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I quite liked him because of his hands and the way he communicated using them. Which might seem a bit odd, but there you go. I later saw a picture of him filming Flesh and Stone and remember thinking he looked quite hot in one shot where he had a particularly intense expression on his face.

I do think he has the unconventional good look thing going on though. I do remember some on this forum compared him to Quasimodo when he was first cast , which seemed rather unfair and mean.

BIB - agree 100%, great way of putting it.

I think he's properly sexy. But then I had a slightly strange dream about Capaldi the other day so I think I just have a crush on the character :blush:

Having said that, I agree with DiligentDan, Matt does look better as himself than the Doctor.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. And it was one of the reasons I almost wrote him off as a credible Doctor. He was young, pretty and a bit of a hipster. I got it wrong. He was a great Doctor. I went on develop quite a crush on him, even though I should be past that at my age. I would like to track him down and throw my voluminous pants at him. While I'm still in them.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - agree 100%, great way of putting it.

I think he's properly sexy. But then I had a slightly strange dream about Capaldi the other day so I think I just have a crush on the character :blush:

Having said that, I agree with DiligentDan, Matt does look better as himself than the Doctor.

Aah, the dream inspired crush. :D

I only (embarrassingly) 'crush on' Matt as the Doctor. Think it's the hipster thing. Matt is a hipster. Hipsters are a ghastly breed. As the Doctor he was quirky, expressive and - bonus - handsome and, well, he was The Doctor. You know, who wouldn't. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. And it was one of the reasons I almost wrote him off as a credible Doctor. He was young, pretty and a bit of a hipster. I got it wrong. He was a great Doctor. I went on develop quite a crush on him, even though I should be past that at my age. I would like to track him down and throw my voluminous pants at him. While I'm still in them.

:o:o:D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Neither Tennant or Smith are particularly good-looking and so I get a little tired of the media going into overdrive when describing their overwhelming gorgeousness.
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither Tennant or Smith are particularly good-looking and so I get a little tired of the media going into overdrive when describing their overwhelming gorgeousness.

I agree. DT was good looking in "crush on your teacher" kind of way, but Matt Smith as a heartthrob confuses me greatly. His face is very strange. But hey ho, we can't all fancy the same people I suppose.

I find Peter Capaldi very attractive and have done for years.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Matt Smith was a good choice as at first sight he looks quite 'alien'.

I think people grow to like the character, not the face.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I thought Matt Smith was a good choice as at first sight he looks quite 'alien'.

I think people grow to like the character, not the face.

He does have a very distinctive look. Though he is young he has an old-looking face.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: I take it you're male?

David Tennant has always been luscious, and Matt Smith is tall and very striking.

I wouldn't say no. :cool:
  • Options
    machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt is bloody stunning. Ooft that jawline.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Similarly, me and my girlfriend affectionately call him 'Putty'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    machobob wrote: »
    Matt is bloody stunning. Ooft that jawline.

The jawline is golden!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I quite liked him because of his hands and the way he communicated using them. Which might seem a bit odd, but there you go.

It was the hands I especially disliked - white and damp-looking and spongy at the tips.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had Time Lord's fingers. Nobody human has hands like that!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rather unfair and mean? You are being kind there. Bet the ones who made those comments were all *beautiful* specimens. ;-)

It was the twiddly hands and expressive face that sold me when he was revealed as the Doctor, however old it made me feel at the time. I think he's a very attractive individual all around.....and was a superb Doctor. Borderline man crush, actually. :blush:
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

Great description! He has definitely got a strange face.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    :eek: I take it you're male?

David Tennant has always been luscious, and Matt Smith is tall and very striking.

I wouldn't say no. :cool:

Yes, but I thought there was something oddly feminine about Tennant and Smith. Very thin wrists. Neither are what I would call a man's man.
  • Options
    BadWolfOneBadWolfOne Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    It wasn't until Asylum of the Daleks that I found Matt mildly good looking