IMDB Has A Good Day To Die Hard Rated 18

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    CONFIRMED 12A http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/good-day-die-hard-2013-6

With strong violence, 4 uses of strong language and a partial use of "motherf-". There is currently no indication it has been cut to achieve this rating, looks like a top end 12 though...

And my already low expectations just plummeted through the floor...

That said, 4 uses of strong language, 1 use of partially obscured "motherf*cker. (*sigh*...) and strong violence seems like a bit of a stupid decision for a 12A, and it makes the 15 rating for the PG13 rated previous film seem even more inexplicable.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    The MPAA are usually easier on violence/language (they let this scene from True Grit get into a PG13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rnaa9qtGgs ) - yet even they've given Die Hard an R-rating.

So it does seem a strange rating by the BBFC at first glance. I'll see it in a few weeks.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be seeing the film either on Thursday or the week after next, as I refuse to pay full price for a ticket, when there are teeny chavs screaming and shouting during the film, it happens every time a film is released as Half Term is due to begin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    The MPAA are usually easier on violence/language (they let this scene from True Grit get into a PG13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rnaa9qtGgs ) - yet even they've given Die Hard an R-rating.

So it does seem a strange rating by the BBFC at first glance. I'll see it in a few weeks.

The MPAA are harsher on language, it will have most likely achieved the 15 in Ireland and the R in the States based on the 4.5 uses of strong language, rather than the violence. The BBFC say they allow up to 4 uses of strong language (except in certain circumstances - i.e. very long film, unusual context)
    Forum Member
    I will be seeing the film either on Thursday or the week after next, as I refuse to pay full price for a ticket, when there are teeny chavs screaming and shouting during the film, it happens every time a film is released as Half Term is due to begin.
    Half term is this week in certain parts of the country...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half term is this week in certain parts of the country...

It's next week the area that I live in, cannot believe that they have murdered his trademark line. :mad:
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a complete fail, my interest is completely gone now.

Not going to pay for a watered down, blue tinted, annoyingly short version of what they are calling 'Die Hard'.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I'm too fussed about the rating. More fussed that the early reviews have called this terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Not sure I'm too fussed about the rating. More fussed that the early reviews have called this terrible.

it's a John Moore film. The man makes terrible films. What were people expecting?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the betting they will release an uncut version on it's Blu-ray release. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to wait for the bluray now. Not going to bother if it's a watered down cinema release.
    Forum Member
    There is currently no indication it has been cut to achieve this rating.

Unfortunately it IS cut:
    BBFC wrote:
    Precuts information - During post-production, the distributor sought and was given advice on how to secure the desired classification. Following this advice, certain changes were made prior to submission

Yep, we're getting a butchered version. F*ck you 20th Century Fox, f*ck you.

Seriously considering cancelling my ticket for Thursday now. Absolutely pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm really not bothered by the rating or the running time. I would rather have a 90 minute film that is tight than one that is longer and dragging things out just to cram more in, especially to do the "look what we can do with computers now" which is what I felt the last third of the last Transformers was.

The editing out of language never bothers me. So in America they get a swear word and I don't, so what? How often is it really needed? I grew up watching films made in the 1930's-1950's that had no nudity, no swearing and no or little extreme violence and never thought the problem with The Great Escape is they don't say shit, or f*** off.

I've seen numerous "unrated" and "uncut" films and thought what was so great about that compared to the version I had seen before?
    If I enjoy this film because of the story I do, if I don't then I don't but my decision won't cahnge id they don't use the McLaine catchphrase.

When I saw Bruce Willis on The One Show the presenter said that there is a car chase that lasts about 20 minutes. That's told me wait to see it on disc or Sky so I can FF straight through that tedious shit. Never liked them and any other long chase sequence or over long fight sequences either. If there is an 20 minute chase sequence in the film and the film is 97 minutes, if we say 3 minutes at least is the credits you have about 74 minutes of film or less without that chase. That's not much time to tell a decent story.
    Forum Member
    Aaaah, it all makes sense now. The old "film company self-censorship" rearing its head again.

Although why they pre-cut it to get a 12A in the UK but left the R-rated version in the bigger market of the US is a mystery....

Americans are getting to see the proper film as initially intended it seems.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Unfortunately it IS cut:

That sentence was added to the BBFC insight info after I read it (either that or my skim reading skills have gone down the crapper)
    Forum Member
    I'm really not bothered by the rating or the running time. I would rather have a 90 minute film that is tight than one that is longer and dragging things out just to cram more in, especially to do the "look what we can do with computers now" which is what I felt the last third of the last Transformers was.

The editing out of language never bothers me. So in America they get a swear word and I don't, so what? How often is it really needed? I grew up watching films made in the 1930's-1950's that had no nudity, no swearing and no or little extreme violence and never thought the problem with The Great Escape is they don't say shit, or f*** off.

I've seen numerous "unrated" and "uncut" films and thought what was so great about that compared to the version I had seen before?
    If I enjoy this film because of the story I do, if I don't then I don't but my decision won't cahnge id they don't use the McLaine catchphrase.

When I saw Bruce Willis on The One Show the presenter said that there is a car chase that lasts about 20 minutes. That's told me wait to see it on disc or Sky so I can FF straight through that tedious shit. Never liked them and any other long chase sequence or over long fight sequences either. If there is an 20 minute chase sequence in the film and the film is 97 minutes, if we say 3 minutes at least is the credits you have about 74 minutes of film or less without that chase. That's not much time to tell a decent story.

That's the thing though, swearing is part of the McClane character, it's just as out of character for him to be neutered as it would be for someone in The Great Escape to start swearing. The Die Hard series (up until the 4th film) was an adult orientated violent and sweary action series, now they've taken away half of what made the film a Die Hard film, it's basically just a generic tween friendly action film. I know it sounds childish to want swearing and violence, but it's just not a Die Hard film without it.
    Aaaah, it all makes sense now. The old "film company self-censorship" rearing its head again.

Although why they pre-cut it to get a 12A in the UK but left the R-rated version in the bigger market of the US is a mystery....

I'm starting to think that maybe Fox realise that they've got a bit of a turkey on their hands and they want to recoup as much money as they can internationally. Plus, anyone of any age can see an R rated film in the US as long as they are accompanied by someone over the age of 17. Our ratings are far more restrictive in the way that if they'd rated it a 15 that would have cut out most of the half term holiday market. It's purely a decision based on Fox's greed.
    Forum Member
    That sentence was added to the BBFC insight info, after I read it (either that or my skim reading skills have gone down the crapper)

Yeah, it wasn't there when i looked at around 11:30am either, i only noticed it because Digital Spy now has a story about it being cut on the front page:(
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Bet we'll see the uncut version on Blu Ray :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will go and see the film at it's cheapest showing, I will then download the film as soon as a decent quality becomes available, so that I can see the film uncut.

Way to go Fox, encouraging movie piracy.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

Not much mystery in it at all, an R rating means anyone under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult.
    We do not have a BBFC equivalent other than a straight 15 or 18 with the only rating that younger audiences need to be accompanied by an adult is 12A.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Not much mystery in it at all, an R rating means anyone under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult.
    We do not have a BBFC equivalent other than a straight 15 or 18 with the only rating that younger audiences need to be accompanied by an adult is 12A.
    Perhaps, but it's still a massive impact on profit in the US - a PG-13 will have a much wider spread than an R. So if they're being this greedy in the small market of the UK, it doesn't make much sense to me.
    Forum Member
    They've added this now about what the cuts are:
    This work was originally seen for advice in an unfinished form. The company was advised that the film was likely to receive a '15' certificate but that their preferred '12A' classification could be achieved by making a number of cuts to both language and visuals. When the finished version of the film was submitted for formal classification, edits had been made to reduce the number of uses of strong language (both 'f**k' and 'motherf***er') and to reduce sequences of bloody violence, including blood sprays when characters are shot in the head, and punches to restrained individuals. The formal submission was consequently rated '12A'.

Baffling. You'd think that after Prometheus was such a big success for them with a 15 rating they'd be willing to take a chance again on this. I really hope that this bombs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    That's the thing though, swearing is part of the McClane character, it's just as out of character for him to be neutered as it would be for someone in The Great Escape to start swearing. The Die Hard series (up until the 4th film) was an adult orientated violent and sweary action series, now they've taken away half of what made the film a Die Hard film, it's basically just a generic tween friendly action film. I know it sounds childish to want swearing and violence, but it's just not a Die Hard film without it.

I completely get what you are saying, I mentioned Mclaine because it was in line with this thread but as I say on these and other boards the minute anything gets cut you can guarantee the posts will start about it, I'm waiting to see it on DVD/Blu Ray or on import.

You could have a new film with a new character so no prescedent set and that same thing will happen.

As I mentioned a while back on another thread. You could get two films, one with 10 seconds cut, one uncut. Show it to two different groups of people. You ask them was the one you saw cut they wouldn't know.
    If they say yes, you say ok, where was it cut and what do you think was cut out they would be guessing and likely to be wrong.

IMO some people get their tits in a twist purely because they feel hard done by more than whether the thing that has been eddited out is "really" needed or "essential" to the story.

Years ago the BBFC made a cut to Mrs Doubtfire. It's in the scene where Mrs Doubtfire and the family are having a meal and Mrs Doubtfire while being sarcstic mumbled under his/her breath the word vibrator. Until it was pointed out nobody noticed, it took lots of money in the UK, it was a funny film. The word whilst it may have been comical wasn't esential to the film or that scene. it was just one sarcastic comment.
    However on websites I was going too you had people complaining about it. I'm getting the US Laserdisc and not the UK Laserdisc (shows how long ago that film was) as it's uncut.
    Really? You are going to buy an import copy of the film just so you can have one word in it? That's just sad.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Had a 12A been wanted by Fox, they would've needed to submit the film to the BBFC in good time for edits to be made and the new cut versions knocked up in time for delivery to cinemas.

Don't normally quote my own posts, but it seems to be exactly as I predicted.

Epic fail.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Mrs Doubtfire, it's not the word vibrator she says, it's a couple of references to cunnilingus that she mentions that are cut in the UK release. Watching it recently on RTÉ TWO at teatime and having those lines back in made the scene much more funny and you can understand more Pierce Brosnan's characters uncomfortable-ness at what is being said to him. You lose that in the UK cut of the film.

Back to Die Hard 5 and I too am baffled why the bigger market of the US gets it uncut but the UK gets a cut version. Like I said in another thread, if I actually had any faith in this film or the franchise I'd travel 20 minutes over the border and watch this in an ROI cinema as they have rated it 15A uncut. Why watch it butchered in a local cinema?

Interesting that they have allowed 4 uses of the F word and partial MF and kept it 12, but wasn't a partial MF the sole reason why Die Hard 4 had to be given a 15? The BBFC wouldn't allow it, even partly uttered in a 12 film. So either they've done the same thing, (he says "mother..." and the sound of something else covers it up), or he barely gets to start saying "mother" and a noise covers the rest. How standards have changed since 2007, eh?

The trailer on TV last night shows McClane hanging off a helicopter and saying Yippie-Ki-Yay then he crashes through a window so I'm guessing it happens then, but why are they spoiling the ending of the film in the friggin' trailer?! He only says that line at the end when the bad guys are being killed! :rolleyes: