Options

Saints Row IV or GTA V

Comments

• Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From seeing clips on SR on youtube it looks really crap this time round so went for GTA V :)
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm just gonna say it, if you prefer SR to GTA at this point...you're an idiot who doesn't deserve to hold a controller.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I would go for GTA 5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA V by a distance.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm just gonna say it, if you prefer SR to GTA at this point...you're an idiot who doesn't deserve to hold a controller.

Or he is not foolsh enough to fall for the expensive hype rockstar created without actually playing GTA5. Do you remember the GTA4 hype and what a pile of shit the game ended up being?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or he is not foolsh enough to fall for the expensive hype rockstar created without actually playing GTA5. Do you remember the GTA4 hype and what a pile of shit the game ended up being?

Even at its worst GTA4 was better than any SR game in my opinion.

Having played SA3 I wouldn't touch SA4 knowing its the exact same city and game engine used in the third, it's nothing more than a glorified expansion pack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Even at its worst GTA4 was better than any SR game in my opinion.

Having played SA3 I wouldn't touch SA4 knowing its the exact same city and game engine used in the third, it's nothing more than a glorified expansion pack.

Ohh i ain't defending saints row ether, i only played the first one. The point im making is i would not put my faith in GTA5 after GTA4. Liberty city was an amazing achivment for its time and i liked the story and charcters, but the mission structure, controls, mechanics and side content were junk imo. Sleeping dogs destroys every sandbox game this gen imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let down yeah, "pile of shit" is a bit much. But anyway, hype is not a good enough excuse to ignore all the verified information that easily puts this game ahead of that terrible knock off, you don't have to have played GTA5 to know that.

But having said that, I have played it and it is indeed miles better than the awful SR series (and GTA4 for that matter).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let down yeah, "pile of shit" is a bit much. But anyway, hype is not a good enough excuse to ignore all the verified information that easily puts this game ahead of that terrible knock off, you don't have to have played GTA5 to know that.

But having said that, I have played it and it is indeed miles better than the awful SR series (and GTA4 for that matter).

I am probably being a little over dramatic to be honest. I certainly ain't knocking GTA5 because from what i have seen and heard of the game i am looking forward to the game myself. But at the same time i felt the same about GTA4 leading up to its release.

Red dead was an awesome game though, so maybe i am being to skeptical rowards rockstar and GTA4 was their first attempt this gen to be fair.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid comment. People can prefer whatever game they like, it doesn't affect you in the slightest does it.
    Im sick of this hype every time a big game comes out, and the abuse heaped on anyone who dares say anything negative about the game at all.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh i ain't defending saints row ether, i only played the first one. The point im making is i would not put my faith in GTA5 after GTA4. Liberty city was an amazing achivment for its time and i liked the story and charcters, but the mission structure, controls, mechanics and side content were junk imo. Sleeping dogs destroys every sandbox game this gen imo

Dogs even better than RDR?
    I've only played the first few missions on Dogs but can't see it beating RDR.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saints row 4 was an amazing blast well worth the play its hilarious and some of the main story missions are brilliant.

Gta is gta though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    What a stupid comment. People can prefer whatever game they like, it doesn't affect you in the slightest does it.
    Im sick of this hype every time a big game comes out, and the abuse heaped on anyone who dares say anything negative about the game at all.
    Firstly, it's nothing to do with hype, frankly my expectations were nil after GTAIV. Secondly, it's nothing to do with something being negative about GTA and everything to do with SR being a shoddily put together piece of work and unquestionably the lesser series.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ops wrong thread lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogs even better than RDR?
    I've only played the first few missions on Dogs but can't see it beating RDR.

Yea forgot about red dead when i made that post. I would probably put them on par with each other. Both have their strong points and weakness's so it hard for me to choose which one i like better. I do like the gameplay in sleeping dogs better though, its gunplay and driving controls are silky smooth, and its probably the best 3D beat em up i have ever played
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought GTAV yesterday and i'm loving it.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can really compare the two, they're very different games, comparing SR4 to Crackdown or Prototype would be fairer.

The idiot is the one who confuses opinion with facts, people may prefer the silliness of Saint Row, the faster pace or be on the PC where instead of being ignored they see Volition actively working with the community to bring modding tools to not only SR4 but to SR3 and SR2 also.

GTA5 is an incredible achievement, what they've got up and running on hardware that should be a museum beggars belief but does that make it a better game? that depends on personal preference because what makes a game better or worse is purely subjective.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I don't think you can really compare the two, they're very different games, comparing SR4 to Crackdown or Prototype would be fairer.

The idiot is the one who confuses opinion with facts, people may prefer the silliness of Saint Row, the faster pace or be on the PC where instead of being ignored they see Volition actively working with the community to bring modding tools to not only SR4 but to SR3 and SR2 also.

GTA5 is an incredible achievement, what they've got up and running on hardware that should be a museum beggars belief but does that make it a better game? that depends on personal preference because what makes a game better or worse is purely subjective.

BIB: Totally agree, I've never understood the "I think this is a better game/series therefore I'm right and anyone who thinks something else is better is wrong". That and the automatic assumption that everyone is playing with a "controller" via a console.

My OH has been playing SRIV since it came out and having a right laugh with it as have his mates, some of the missions are absolutely hilarious, the game doesn't take itself seriously, it takes the piss out of a number of other different genres and has elements which are pure farce.
    I'm sure he'll get GTAV at some point too, as he owns all the previous ones, when it comes out on PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    BIB: Totally agree, I've never understood the "I think this is a better game/series therefore I'm right and anyone who thinks something else is better is wrong". That and the automatic assumption that everyone is playing with a "controller" via a console.

My OH has been playing SRIV since it came out and having a right laugh with it as have his mates, some of the missions are absolutely hilarious, the game doesn't take itself seriously, it takes the piss out of a number of other different genres and has elements which are pure farce.
    I'm sure he'll get GTAV at some point too, as he owns all the previous ones, when it comes out on PC.

I play games for fun so Saints Row is ideal for that, Saints Row tends to reward the player for messing about, GTA punishes you. Playing GTA5 last night I decided to go on a murder spree, it didn't last very long because you die so quickly, the game is saying "Stop that!! now go and do one of the activities we've arranged for you."

I think GTA5 is a fantastic game but it's not the second coming and it has very little in common with SR4.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    My wife has told me I can buy one of these and I am unsure which one to get. GTA V is £10 more than SRIV.

For those with SRIV and for those who have done all their research on GTAV, which one do you think is worth getting now?

£10 is hardly much of a deal breaker when you get hundreds of hours entertainment from either so don't think cost should be a factor here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »

We could go round in circles all day with your derision of my opinion knocking a hole in your own argument. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, I just think very poorly of anyone's criteria that results in them judging SR the better game.

And what's this craziness that they shouldn't be compared? The entire SR series is a direct GTA rip off. There's no better fit in all of gaming that deserves more to be judged up against GTA.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTA IV was terrible and Saints Row 2-3 quite happily trampled all over it.

Normal order has been restored now, however. GTA V wins by quite some distance.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could go round in circles all day with your derision of my opinion knocking a hole in your own argument. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, I just think very poorly of anyone's criteria that results in them judging SR the better game.

And what's this craziness that they shouldn't be compared? The entire SR series is a direct GTA rip off. There's no better fit in all of gaming that deserves more to be judged up against GTA.

*Cough*Just Cause*Cough*LA Noire*Cough*True Crime*Cough*Watch Dogs*Cough*Driver*Cough*

If you've even played a mission of Saints Row III and/or IV then you'd know that's just a very simplified way of comparing the two series. Yes, there is an argument to the first game being a rip-off, and maybe the second. But the third and fourth... they have as much in common with GTA as the Prototype series. It's open world. There are guns and cars. And that's pretty much the only similarity.

Last I checked, GTA didn't have alien spaceships, world simulations, a lightsaber, dubstep-based weapons, mech suits, complete character customization, super powers, zombies, wrestling with chainsaws, humour/parody of the genre, Burt Reynolds, becoming the president and so many more differences... and let's not forget...
    The destruction of the flipping world

The difference is, GTA goes for realism. Saints Row goes for all out insanity. Saint's Row these days can only be placed in the same vein as games such as Crackdown or Prototype when compared to GTA. It is nowhere "the better fit". There are now many more games vastly more similar to GTA than Saints Row now.

For the record, I am not denying the quality of GTA V as I haven't played it yet (but am intending to buy) but I have played Saints Row IV, and found it to be extremely fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of those games you mentioned ripped off GTA as much as SR did. Yeah I'll grant they've gone down the bizarre route now (because as much as they can poorly ape the gta mechanics they clearly had no hope matching it's feel with VA, writing etc) but that's just where we get into the latter two games being slapdash exercises in "throw absolutely everything at the wall and hope to god some of it sticks".

Bit pointless going on about it really as nobody's gonna change their mind but I maintain my original assertion that now, with GTAV here at last for people to play themselves, there's nothing but foolishness in describing SR as the better game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of those games you mentioned ripped off GTA as much as SR did. Yeah I'll grant they've gone down the bizarre route now (because as much as they can poorly ape the gta mechanics they clearly had no hope matching it's feel with VA, writing etc) but that's just where we get into the latter two games being slapdash exercises in "throw absolutely everything at the wall and hope to god some of it sticks".

Bit pointless going on about it really as nobody's gonna change their mind but I maintain my original assertion that now, with GTAV here at last for people to play themselves, there's nothing but foolishness in describing SR as the better game.

There you go again, insulting those who don't share your opinion. Are you so insecure that you feel the need to attack those who won't validate your opinion? GTA and SR are different games, it's possible to like both.