Playstation 4 ultimate FAQ

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to this.

Can I plug my PS4 into one of these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9124712.htm

My HDTV only has poxy speakers you see.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to this.

Can I plug my PS4 into one of these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9124712.htm

My HDTV only has poxy speakers you see.

I'm not sure but you can certainly connect it to your TV and then it'll work with anything you watch on the TV.
    Forum Member
    Is that how they work is it? I dont think my tv has optical out - have never looked.

Sorry, like I said, am a bit of a thicko on these things!!

Basically just wanted to go PS4 ->> soundbar.

Didnt want to be going HDMI from telly to soundbar then HDMI from sound bar to telly and then plugging in and unplugging sky boxes or games consoles every time I wanted a bit of better sound as some of them work like that I think.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS4 has an optical output.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    PS4 has an optical output.

Does that mean it will work what I want to do?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that mean it will work what I want to do?

No reason why not. Optical cable from ps4 straight to the sound bar. Should be fine.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    Worth logging on the music unlimited website at the moment. If you click on subscription options there is a 90 day extension available for £3. I have gone for that, so I am covered until mid February now. It will at least give me the chance to try the service on PS4

Thanks, I've just bought that as, like many I'm sure, I took advantage of the special offer for PS Plus subscribers last December when I believe they were doing 12 months for £11.99, which was a total bargain. That said I haven't used the service as much as I hoped I would. I think with it being a separate app you have to launch on the PS3 kinda limits its usefulness, but if the PS4 lets you use it for background music while doing other things (and in game music) then I hopefully will be using it a lot more as I am impressed with the range of music on there and since they launched the high quality streaming the audio quality is fantastic too.

Do you know if the £3 for 90 days is stackable? I'd happily buy at least another year at that price if it is.
    Forum Member
    No reason why not. Optical cable from ps4 straight to the sound bar. Should be fine.

Nice one thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that how they work is it? I dont think my tv has optical out - have never looked.

Sorry, like I said, am a bit of a thicko on these things!!

Basically just wanted to go PS4 ->> soundbar.

Didnt want to be going HDMI from telly to soundbar then HDMI from sound bar to telly and then plugging in and unplugging sky boxes or games consoles every time I wanted a bit of better sound as some of them work like that I think.

It should have an aux out as well as an optical out, so providing your TV has a headphone jack you should be able to connect it to the TV meaning you'll get everything through the soundbar. I haven't checked but the PS4 will probably have HDMI pass through for your other devices anyway but if not connecting to the TV is the way to go.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »

Do you know if the £3 for 90 days is stackable? I'd happily buy at least another year at that price if it is.

Answered this myself, clicked on subscription options but it said I'm already subscribed and there no options available for me. :(

Hopefully, they will do another offer on the 12 months sub as a xmas offer, at least I've got till march 14 now instead of dec 13.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answered this myself, clicked on subscription options but it said I'm already subscribed and there no options available for me. :(

Hopefully, they will do another offer on the 12 months sub as a xmas offer, at least I've got till march 14 now instead of dec 13.

Darn it - that is a shame.
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    It should have an aux out as well as an optical out, so providing your TV has a headphone jack you should be able to connect it to the TV meaning you'll get everything through the soundbar. I haven't checked but the PS4 will probably have HDMI pass through for your other devices anyway but if not connecting to the TV is the way to go.

My telly has a digital audio out on the back of it? Does this go into the sound bar and then everything i have plugged into the telly via HDMi (Sky, 360, PS3 (currently) will output via the sound bar or do I need to do it another way?
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the one im shocked bout is no external harddrives supported all my films are on an external harddrive :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My telly has a digital audio out on the back of it? Does this go into the sound bar and then everything i have plugged into the telly via HDMi (Sky, 360, PS3 (currently) will output via the sound bar or do I need to do it another way?

Spot on, if you use the digital output from your telly everything will come through the soundbar!
    You will need an optical cable though unless it comes with one.
    Edit: Just noticed it does so you should be good to go.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the one im shocked bout is no external harddrives supported all my films are on an external harddrive :eek:

I think that's just for expanding storage, not playback of media.
    Forum Member
    Spot on, if you use the digital output from your telly everything will come through the soundbar!

Nice one thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Even if they do release some sort of firmware update to allow me to play mp3s...how I am supposed to get them on the PS4? Though I doubt they will (or can) do a U turn on this.

Not allowing CDs to be played is crazy! I thought that was a really basic function.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they do release some sort of firmware update to allow me to play mp3s...how I am supposed to get them on the PS4? Though I doubt they will (or can) do a U turn on this.

Not allowing CDs to be played is crazy! I thought that was a really basic function.

I ripped one CD on my PS3 and did the rest on the PC and copied them over via a USB HDD because it was quicker, that is the only CD to ever be used in my PS3.

Still seems crazy to remove this feature though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Licence fee. Cutting costs. Who the hell buys CDs now. Console will last 10 years. CDs will be dead. Streaming music even more mainstream.

To be honest they'd be better served to add a free ad-supported level to Music Unlimited to match Spotify etc.

That way people will be able to play anything they want from their vast catalogue at the cost of a couple of ads.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately in footie you occasionally score an own goal. The audio issue is sonys in the Diddy cup vs MS.
    MS scored a few own goals in succession at the start of the match but managed to limit the damage with a few subs and changes of direction. In fact for a while they forgot which way they were playing.
    The game is now heating up as we move closer to the final whistle, though sony are just clinging on to a slender lead....can they hang on?
    Both managers are doing there upmost to think of new ways to score more own goals. Unfortunately MS appear to be seeing the ball as a square blob at the moment....this doesnt bode well fans, it looks smooth and round to Sony.
    Stay tuned to see how this develops. ...
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try cicking on the "subscription options" page again, first time I went on there it told me there were no options available to me, but I tried again after navigating away and the 90 days for £3 were there!

Now I've bought the three-month extension however it doesn't matter how many times I click, I can't add it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Licence fee. Cutting costs. Who the hell buys CDs now. Console will last 10 years. CDs will be dead. Streaming music even more mainstream.

To be honest they'd be better served to add a free ad-supported level to Music Unlimited to match Spotify etc.

That way people will be able to play anything they want from their vast catalogue at the cost of a couple of ads.

I still buy CDs :o

Even with an free ad funded version of Music Unlimited I would still be disappointed that my options are limited. I dont want to be forced to stream my music all the time. I would hate to put a game on, start playing and suddenly I am unable to listen to my choice of music because my net goes down.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

These services don't have all available music so many of us are left not being able to listen to a CD we own even though we are paying for a streaming service. Also I wouldn't want to listen to adds either.

The solution here is to just add MP3/AAC support like the PS3 has.
  • rehmanmohamedrehmanmohamed Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a guy at an indie developer. The ironic thing is that their dev units support mp3, DLNA etc
    Forum Member

I guess I must have read this wrong, I need to plug an optical cable from the console / sky box direct to the sound bar each time I want to listen to something?

So say I'm watching sky, plug that one in, say later I want to do a bit of xboxing, I need to unplug the optical in the back of the sky box then plug it into the xbox?

Nothing is happening, I get no sound at all you see :(