Options

CS: The Kabin vs Corner Shop

RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone remind me how these two survive?

Isn't everything the Kabin sells just in the corner shop?

Comments

• Options
    Purves GrundyPurves Grundy Posts: 43,929
    Forum Member
    RickLopez wrote: »
    Can someone remind me how these two survive?

Isn't everything the Kabin sells just in the corner shop?

True. The only exception is with alcohol. As you'd expect The Kabin doesn't sell it as Rita empties the bottles down her gullet within the first 10 minutes of their delivery. :(
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the Corner Shop has the most trouble

Gone are the days when Hilda Ogden went next door for a bottle of brown sauce. I expect the supermarket has outpriced them.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only ever seem to have 1 customer at a time as well, Someone may walk in they exchange a few words then leave
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kabin baffles me mainly because it hasn't diversified into being more like the corner shop.

There is a small newsagent near me that always used to be a newsagent and nothing else (papers, magazines, cards, sweets, ****, lottery) but in the past 15 years or so it has started selling basic groceries as well as turning over a large part of the shop to alcohol.

For me, the Kabin is the one that would have closed down by now but, as my username suggests, I think it's an important set for Corrie.

At least Dev's sells essentials that the residents of Coronation Street might believably need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    They only ever seem to have 1 customer at a time as well, Someone may walk in they exchange a few words then leave

...and the customer in question is only ever buying the Weatherfield Gazette at 60p a pop.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep hoping that one day they merge these two businesses. The Kabin was fine when it was in Rosamund Street as it was an indeterminate distance away from Coronation Street. It was pushing it when we had Alf in the shop and Rita and Mavis in the Kabin across the street but they still felt like very distinct environments such was the strength of those characters and the writing. However they have long since become backdrops that could be selling anything and the scenes would play out just the same. We don't need them both. Plus, Dev going into business with Norris could be fun.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also with Tracy turning her what was a pawn shop/cash generators style shop into a florists this or more or less makes the cheap limp flowers that Dev's sells from his corner shop obsolete. However with Tracy being such a spiteful snidey bitch I don't see who would be willing to give her any custom anyway.

The Kabin did used to run a post office from there a few years ago which made it more unique to the corner shop but for some reason they got rid of that.
  • Options
    SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Kabin did used to run a post office from there a few years ago which made it more unique to the corner shop but for some reason they got rid of that.

I dont remember this era, but that makes so much sense! That would certainly give residents more reason to go to there and interact with the shopkeepers or each other...to mail things or pick up parcels etc.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I get a bit angry during the increasingly rare corner shop scenes - the layout is so awful!!! As an ex-corner shop employee, the way things are chucked on the shelves, labels hidden, things hung all over the place....Dev had 8 shops - he would know better. It looked it's best and most believable during Alf's Mini-Mart days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I get a bit angry during the increasingly rare corner shop scenes - the layout is so awful!!! As an ex-corner shop employee, the way things are chucked on the shelves, labels hidden, things hung all over the place....Dev had 8 shops - he would know better. It looked it's best and most believable during Alf's Mini-Mart days.

We've discussed this many times over the years, haven't we? >:(>:(>:(

The shop didn't look so bad before Maya set fire to it in 2004 but since then it's been atrocious.
  • Options
    James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. The only exception is with alcohol. As you'd expect The Kabin doesn't sell it as Rita empties the bottles down her gullet within the first 10 minutes of their delivery. :(

The drunken heartless son of a bee never even shed a tear when the young paperboy took the six foot drop. I'll never forgive her for that, I hope Dev shuts her down with a low price war.
  • Options
    Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The drunken heartless son of a bee never even shed a tear when the young paperboy took the six foot drop. I'll never forgive her for that, I hope Dev shuts her down with a low price war.

Rita probably only felt relief that paperboy wasnt a casualty of her own behind the wheel antics.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SS_Summer wrote: »
    I dont remember this era, but that makes so much sense! That would certainly give residents more reason to go to there and interact with the shopkeepers or each other...to mail things or pick up parcels etc.

It wasn't that long ago they got rid of the Post Office in the Kabin, probably around 10 years ago or less than that
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    The corner shop has a brim full of asher
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kabin baffles me mainly because it hasn't diversified into being more like the corner shop.

There is a small newsagent near me that always used to be a newsagent and nothing else (papers, magazines, cards, sweets, ****, lottery) but in the past 15 years or so it has started selling basic groceries as well as turning over a large part of the shop to alcohol.

For me, the Kabin is the one that would have closed down by now but, as my username suggests, I think it's an important set for Corrie.

At least Dev's sells essentials that the residents of Coronation Street might believably need.
    I do wonder what is to be of The Kabin after Rita and Norris are gone. In truth, with the corner shop opposite it would have either closed down or significantly altered it's entire business long before now (such as turning it into a Post Office almost exclusively).

I think after those characters are no longer around, it probably would be time to close down and move on.
  • Options
    StreetFanStreetFan Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep hoping that one day they merge these two businesses. The Kabin was fine when it was in Rosamund Street as it was an indeterminate distance away from Coronation Street. It was pushing it when we had Alf in the shop and Rita and Mavis in the Kabin across the street but they still felt like very distinct environments such was the strength of those characters and the writing. However they have long since become backdrops that could be selling anything and the scenes would play out just the same. We don't need them both. Plus, Dev going into business with Norris could be fun.
    The Corner Shop has had little to offer since the Dev era. It used to be a hub of gossip and general interaction in the days before there were so many other meeting points for the characters. Putting Sophie in there was the last straw. Erica's a slight improvement,but she's not a natural Corner Shop character. The Kabin's much more fun with Rita,Norris and Mary.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've discussed this many times over the years, haven't we? >:(>:(>:(

The shop didn't look so bad before Maya set fire to it in 2004 but since then it's been atrocious.

:D Were you driving that tram KK?