Daughters homework

13»

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    In that case, when he's at the bottom, he'd be buried in the ground with only the tip of his nose poking out!

The assumption has to be that measurements are from the bottom of his feet since they must correspond with the bottom of the pit.

Anyway, if you want to get the answer that is expected, it's clear you need to think of the frog as a singular point moving along a precise 30.000m distance using exactly the rules given.
    In which case my point about reaching the top and not suddenly being able to move the extra millimetre to get over the edge and therefore out still stands.
    Reaching the top is not the same as getting out.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case my point about reaching the top and not suddenly being able to move the extra millimetre to get over the edge and therefore out still stands.

Yes but once he's at the top he can easily get out. He won't need to jump up any further.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What precisely is the difference of being at 30m at the top and being over the edge?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the answer were 30 days, there wouldn't be a lot of point in the puzzle, would there?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The correct answer is that which the Examining Authority deems to be correct.

A review will be conducted subject to an Appeal being submitted, in writing, on the relevant Appeal Form, to the Examining Authority.

The Appeal is chargeable, but a full refund will be made in the event of the Examining Authority finding in the Appellant's favour.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    What precisely is the difference of being at 30m at the top and being over the edge?

You can't see that being at the top doesn't mean you've actually hauled yourself over the edge? The first is still being within the pit, the second is when you're actually out of it.
    Forum Member
    Yes but once he's at the top he can easily get out. He won't need to jump up any further.

But he would have to move further than the 3 metres a day stated in the question.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he would have to move further than the 3 metres a day stated in the question.

Yes but once he's at the top he can just get out. The questions asking how long will it be before he gets to the top where he can climb out.

Doesn't change the fact that the official answer for this is 28.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't see that being at the top doesn't mean you've actually hauled yourself over the edge? The first is still being within the pit, the second is when you're actually out of it.
    His front legs will already be over the edge before his back legs have moved 3m.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The frog starts at 0 metres, which means the base of its body is on the 0 metre mark and the rest of its body is above that.

On day one, it climbs 3 metres then falls back 2 metres, which means the base of its body ends up on the 1 metre mark and the rest of its body is above that.

and so on ...........

On day 28 it climbs to 30 metres and whether that means the base of its body is physically out of the pit is debatable, but as the rest of its body is above 30 metres, it's more than reasonable to consider that it's able to escape.

http://i59.tinypic.com/5osb4i.jpg