Am I the only one who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is utter crap?

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the awful lazy stereotypes I dislike. Such lazy writing appealing to the lowest common denominator
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Well according to the press yesterday, US channels like HBO, PBS and Netflix are interested in broadcasting Mrs Brown's Boys.....I can't imagine any US network would ever have been remotely interested in buying On The Buses, George and Mildred or Terry and June.

The US remade George and Mildred as The Ropers and I suspect Terry and June was too similar while On The Buses just would've have worked culturally I suspect.

Anything attracting decent viewing figures will attract online and international broadcasters and it's not too much of a risk or cost these days. If they lapped up Benny Hill, I don't think the quality is the actual attraction - probably more the British quirkiness.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Use the button on your remote. Simple;-)

That would work for me. However, I can't and won't want to interfere with everyone's remote but I can't help but feel the trend for fast and lazy food has moved into television. Can't people be a***d to think about their comedy these days?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    All my close family, who I always thought were on my wavelength with regard to humour, rave about this show.

It leaves me stone cold, I couldn't raise a smile if my life depended on it and if there is a word ten times worse than crap, then that's what I'd describe it as.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    The US remade George and Mildred as The Ropers and I suspect Terry and June was too similar while On The Buses just would've have worked culturally I suspect.

Anything attracting decent viewing figures will attract online and international broadcasters and it's not too much of a risk or cost these days. If they lapped up Benny Hill, I don't think the quality is the actual attraction - probably more the British quirkiness.

Well Brendan was apparently offered his own series by HBO last year but turned them down - not a remake, but the actual show starring him for the US audience.

According to the papers yesterday, he is in talks with several US channels so the interest is still there.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one, everybody I know raves about it. I can't stand it, but I have never understood why a man dressing as a woman is funny.

then you must have had a humour bypass: the League of Gentlemen, Dame Edna, the Carry Ons, Les Dawson, Dick Emery, the 2 Ronnies, Monty Python, Little Britain, Eddie Izzard, Lily Savage, Steve Coogan (aka Pauline Calf), Kenny Everett (Cupid Stunt)... if nothing in that list has made you laugh you're a lost cause.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it, so I don't watch it. A strange way of life, but it's good for me.
  • RoryWatchesTVRoryWatchesTV Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    nope, it's dreadful, I watched it a couple of times with my dad and I don't think I laughed even once, it's just really really bad jokes made by some annoying twit dressed as a woman, it's more like having my head bombarded with crap than anything else.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hetty_rose wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises all the swearing ? Is it impossible to be funny without dropping the f bomb

Some people claim that Mrs Brown actually says "buckin'" and it does often sound like that to me, although of course we're meant to hear otherwise. Still, there is a lot of other unnecessary swearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a comedy fan, I could happily sit and watch any comedy on TV, My faves being the likes of Alan Partridge, Father Ted, One Foot in The Grave etc etc. Everyone I know raves about this show, its more hyped than any other comedy show on TV, I can't remember this type of hype ever with any other show but I never got it, from day 1 I just didn't get it, it did nothing for me, the humour is just stupid, I mean I'm a working class guy, I swear like a sailor myself but I still just don't get this show.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I don't like it, so I don't watch it. A strange way of life, but it's good for me.

What a sensible approach. I find it odd people watch a show they claim to hate so much.

If you don't like MBB don't watch it. Moaning about it won't take it off the air because millions love it and the BBC know they are onto a ratings winner!
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents seem to like it but I tried watching it a couple of times and I just don't find it funny in the slightest

Give me Little Britain, The Fast Show, Harry Enfield, then your talking :D
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Can't stand it. I read some of the Mrs Brown books, many years ago and did find them funny but the man cast as Mrs Brown and the OTT acting have ruined it.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dreadful TV.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its TV for people who can't find their own arse using both hands and a map.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say it's utter crap as I've yet to watch a single episode. The premise of it does not appeal to me at all.

Same here and in the past, have been pressured by friends and work colleagues to watch Red Dwarf and Father Ted and never bothered.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find it offensive, it's "juvenile lavatorial humour."

I don't get worked up about it, I just avoid it.
    Like so many programmes I won't watch, it doesn't bother me that others may like it.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    then you must have had a humour bypass: the League of Gentlemen, Dame Edna, the Carry Ons, Les Dawson, Dick Emery, the 2 Ronnies, Monty Python, Little Britain, Eddie Izzard, Lily Savage, Steve Coogan (aka Pauline Calf), Kenny Everett (Cupid Stunt)... if nothing in that list has made you laugh you're a lost cause.

I cannot stand men dressed as women, it just creeps me out. I cannot watch anything that has a man dressed as a woman on it. They may be the funniest thing ever, but I cannot watch it.

Therefore the likes of Mrs Brown is something I will not watch.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Its TV for people who can't find their own arse using both hands and a map.

I think that's a bit unfair. I don't like MBB at all but it's a bit harsh to make a generalised statement about people who enjoy it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

Neither do I.

But I had to watch it at least once to find out how terrible it is.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's as funny as a bucket of vomit. I avoid like the plague so does Mr Toggler.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Well according to the press yesterday, US channels like HBO, PBS and Netflix are interested in broadcasting Mrs Brown's Boys.....I can't imagine any US network would ever have been remotely interested in buying On The Buses, George and Mildred or Terry and June.

Would they show it how it is only with all the swearing bleeped out? or would they rewrite it and remake it with American actors, and then ruin it like they do with many of our British shows. Also Americans would be freaked out with a man dressed as a woman, it's not part of their culture as it is with us British.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add me to the haters list. I tried to watch once because everyone was saying how funny it was but I couldn't stick it to the end. I'm no prude but shouting, swearing and vulgarity just for the sake of it just isn't funny imo. I was astounded when a good friend of mine who has never sworn in her life and can be a bit prudish told me she'd seen it live and thought it was hilarious.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I find it absolutely hilarious!
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand why people like it, there's swearing, pratfalls, and innuendo, I don't find that style of broad comedy that funny [ although I love Nearest and Dearest ] but then I liked Vic Reeves' Big Night Out back in the 90s when everyone else was scratching their heads.