Working for the NHS shortens your life?

RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are NHS workers hard done by?

Another bleeding heart story on BBC News 24 about how overworked they are and the system is a mess.

Isn't everyone in that situation?

Comments

• 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are overworked but they're paid well for it. The alternative is double the staff but half the wages. I'm sure if you ask them they'd rather have the the money than live longer in relative poverty.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several of my colleagues have left the NHS and look loads betterr, I am not sure about other jobs but ye the problem is not the actual work but covering the vacancies where there is the same amount of work and less people
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    They are overworked but they're paid well for it. The alternative is double the staff but half the wages. I'm sure if you ask them they'd rather have the the money than live longer in relative poverty.

I would rather the NHS wasnt a mess
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more upset at their nicking ethics, a member of staff dropped a gift card of some value in a changing room, no honesty even at Christmas. Shame you NHS staff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I would rather the NHS wasnt a mess

I agree but people moan about the cost going up so the only alternative is to lower the wages and have more staff.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member

Another bleeding heart story on BBC News 24 about how overworked they are and the system is a mess.

From memory pretty much every study about working shifts has concluded they're bad for your health.
    Ditto for studies into high stress jobs (which many NHS staff will be in, especially those in things like A&E)
    Ditto for studies on working with infectious people.

So the average NHS shift worker who might be working in a busy enviroment is in trouble from all of those, and those working in A&E or on the ambulances are pretty much screwed.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you drunk ? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Are you drunk ? :o

No. Doctors and nurses are well paid. They know full well what they're getting into and still choose it for a career despite the fact, as has already been said, that shift work shortens your life.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Over worked and get better pay by not working for the NHS
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Doctors and nurses are well paid. They know full well what they're getting into and still choose it for a career despite the fact, as has already been said, that shift work shortens your life.

Oh dear. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Over worked and get better pay by not working for the NHS

This isn't a communist country. People make the choice and spend a fortune studying to work in the NHS.
    Forum Member

Nearly two thirds of the UK’s 60,000 trainee nurses may go abroad to work due to the Tory-led Coalition forcing down wages, a poll reveals today.

Experts warned an exodus of talented, trained staff would put patient safety “at risk” and cripple the National Health Service.

Brit nurses are highly sought after in countries such as Australia, Canada, Dubai and the US, where they can earn upwards of £10,000 a year more. The Royal College of Nursing survey shows that 64% of undergraduates are considering pursuing a nursing career abroad. Ambulance chiefs are being forced to recruit paramedics in Australia and New Zealand to *relieve a 999 crisis in Britain. And we have a shortage of GPs in the uk, so if the pay and condtions are so great for people working for the NHS why do we have all these shortages, these people should be on a long waiting list wanting to work for the NHS, but the truth and facts are people are leaving the NHS faster than they can be recruited
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course not.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that my Father worked for the NHS doing shift work for over 40 years and he lived to be 91 years old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly two thirds of the UK’s 60,000 trainee nurses may go abroad to work due to the Tory-led Coalition forcing down wages, a poll reveals today.

Experts warned an exodus of talented, trained staff would put patient safety “at risk” and cripple the National Health Service.

Brit nurses are highly sought after in countries such as Australia, Canada, Dubai and the US, where they can earn upwards of £10,000 a year more. The Royal College of Nursing survey shows that 64% of undergraduates are considering pursuing a nursing career abroad.

If you read the newspapers they're full of headlines about bad things that may happen. That's how they sell newspapers. Bad news sells.
    The NHS isn't on the verge of collapse and their will be no mass exodus (except the one currently showing in cinemas).
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working for the NHS as a GP certainly shortens lives.They as good as killed my mother and now they have as good as killed my father.
    Well done GP's I hope you are proud of your £100k a year work.Scum.
    Forum Member
    If you read the newspapers they're full of headlines about bad things that may happen. That's how they sell newspapers. Bad news sells.
    The NHS isn't on the verge of collapse and their will be no mass exodus (except the one currently showing in cinemas).

Yet the newspapers get their figures off the governent, which shows things are going wrong, the government sets targets, targets are not being meet, hospitals GP surgies, A&E departments not hitting targets the figures the government collect targets DATA the DATA is released the press report the DATA.

Increasing numbers of doctors are deserting the NHS for a better life in Australia and New Zealand, figures reveal.

The exodus of doctors – who cost the taxpayer up to £610,000 to train – is forcing the NHS to import staff from southern and eastern Europe.

According to a major report from the General Medical Council, the number applying for certificates to work abroad has risen by a fifth since 2008, to nearly 3,000 a year.

The General Medical Council says that doctors applying for certificates allowing them to work abroad has risen by a fifth since 2008, with those aged between 25 and 27 most likely to leave

Just over half have applied to work in Australia and New Zealand, where the demands are less intense and doctors enjoy a better work-life balance. And doctors aged 25 to 27 are most likely to leave – making up one in five of those applying for certificates.

Figures also show that rising numbers of doctors are coming to Britain from southern and eastern European countries such as Greece, Italy and Romania.

But experts say the exodus of UK-trained doctors is putting patients at risk by creating too many vacant posts – particularly in A&E units and GP surgeries.

Only last week the Royal College of GPs warned that as many as 550 surgeries could close within the next year because doctors nearing retirement won’t be replaced.
    Forum Member

The mass exodus has already happened that is why they are having to recriut from all over the world, and the NHS has already said so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet the newspapers get their figures off the governent, which shows things are going wrong, the government sets targets, targets are not being meet, hospitals GP surgies, A&E departments not hitting targets the figures the government collect targets DATA the DATA is released the press report the DATA.

Increasing numbers of doctors are deserting the NHS for a better life in Australia and New Zealand, figures reveal.

The exodus of doctors – who cost the taxpayer up to £610,000 to train – is forcing the NHS to import staff from southern and eastern Europe.

According to a major report from the General Medical Council, the number applying for certificates to work abroad has risen by a fifth since 2008, to nearly 3,000 a year.

The General Medical Council says that doctors applying for certificates allowing them to work abroad has risen by a fifth since 2008, with those aged between 25 and 27 most likely to leave

Just over half have applied to work in Australia and New Zealand, where the demands are less intense and doctors enjoy a better work-life balance. And doctors aged 25 to 27 are most likely to leave – making up one in five of those applying for certificates.

Figures also show that rising numbers of doctors are coming to Britain from southern and eastern European countries such as Greece, Italy and Romania.

But experts say the exodus of UK-trained doctors is putting patients at risk by creating too many vacant posts – particularly in A&E units and GP surgeries.

Only last week the Royal College of GPs warned that as many as 550 surgeries could close within the next year because doctors nearing retirement won’t be replaced.

They may get their figures from the government but that doesn't mean they don't add the usual spin and doom and gloom.
    As i said at the beginning the choice is either the public putting more money in or NHS workers being paid less.
    Forum Member

And the newspapers are reporting what they are being told by the hospitals. Which are going to be more truthful than politictions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the newspapers are reporting what they are being told by the hospitals. Which are going to be more truthful than politictions

Newspapers say what they need to say to sell copies. Bad news sells even if its scaremongering nonsense.
    Forum Member
    They may get their figures from the government but that doesn't mean they don't add the usual spin and doom and gloom.
    As i said at the beginning the choice is either the public putting more money in or NHS workers being paid less.

that is why we have a shortage of so many staff because they are leaving, why work for the NHS when you can get better money else were. You talk about spin when the government say no problems but thier own figures show differant, i know who i believe the hospital workers and i know a few people in the hospitals plus being a regular to hospital, i am there every 2 weeks i see things with my own eyes
    Forum Member
    Newspapers say what they need to say to sell copies. Bad news sells even if its scaremongering nonsense.

So the newpapers reporting targets being missed is only a spin on things, yet these are facts., that can be confirmed by the parliment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is why we have a shortage of so many staff because they are leaving, why work for the NHS when you can get better money else were. You talk about spin when the government say no problems but thier own figures show differant, i know who i believe the hospital workers and i know a few people in the hospitals plus being a regular to hospital, i am there every 2 weeks i see things with my own eyes

I'm not saying their are no problems because i've spent enough time (if you add it together i've spent something in the region of 6 months of my life in hospital) to know things are stretched but we get what we pay for and when people pay tens of thousands training to be a doctor or nurse i'm not convinced that many do it with emigration in mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the newpapers reporting targets being missed is only a spin on things, yet these are facts., that can be confirmed by the parliment.

Who's to say the targets are realistic in the first place?