Talk Talk

Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone on here have experience of Talk Talk tv and broadband services?

I currently use Virgin Media for both and have done for a while and in honesty quite rate their service, no major problems and the service provides pretty much everything I need and more, what I don't like however is the price which seems to significantly rise quite frequently.

Talk Talk recently offered me their service which allegedly will provide more or less the same features as Virgin only at around a third of the cost, perhaps even less.

So does anyone on here use Talk Talk and if so do you rate the service and how does it compare to Virgin and/or Sky? My main concerns would be if they provide the same channels that Sky and Virgin do, if the ability to pause/rewind/fast-forward and record and series link shows on all channels is the same, if there is the same amount of on demand and catch up tv available and if you can still order special events like WWE and UFC PPV's, and finally if the same amount of HD channels are available that Sky and Virgin have.

Comments

• lpjthomaslpjthomas Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I moved from Virgin to Talk Talk last year when we moved to a non cabled area. As far as broadband is concerned I have no complaints, I get near the 38meg I pay for most of the time. The TV is no where near as good as Virgin. The box is slow, has fewer tuners than a TiVo, the channel offering but the on demand offering is decent. New features such as Netflix are slowly being added. I pay around £50 a month but only have the kids channels so for a decent package the price may be a little cheaper but not much. I would go back to Virgin in a flash if I could. I would try and get a retentions deal out of them and keep the cable if I were you.
  • lpjthomaslpjthomas Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Also the HD offering is poor on Talk Talk, with only Freeview HD and on demand available. There is pretty much no PPV provision as far as I know, but I don't really watch PPV events so could be wrong.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with TT, 70+mb/s, unlimited downloads and youview is good too.
  • stevenagesaintstevenagesaint Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    To be Honest the service from TalkTalk when it works is good, it is when it fails that problems occur.
    If you get TT fibre the product is basically BT which means it should be reliable. The problem is the TT TV box, which is the Huwawai box, compared the BT box which is the excellent Humax box.
    As far as the TV goes it is a good selection not as comprehensive as Sky or VM but as the basics go it is on a par. The one thing to note is if you are watching anything on the IPTV section (IE not Freeview) the you are using your net connection, and if you are also streaming / surfing on say a tablet or on the PC, using net conection for PS Network/ Xbox Live then you can eat into your bandwidth and slow things down.
    This is hyperthetical but I know that within the YouView world tha this was a concern, however they could now have resolved these issues.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Was going to start a similair thread but won't as chris started this one. I'm Hopefully switching to talk talk myself (Broadband and phone) Not too bothered about TV. Would appear that they are OK?
  • Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. It would seem the general opinion of Talk Talk is not great so I think I'll avoid them, now quite tempted by BT however who seem to be making big strides with their TV service. My main concern is that having always used Sky or Virgin in the past I don't want to switch to a lower quality provider.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. It would seem the general opinion of Talk Talk is not great so I think I'll avoid them, now quite tempted by BT however who seem to be making big strides with their TV service. My main concern is that having always used Sky or Virgin in the past I don't want to switch to a lower quality provider.

Then stick with Virgin OR Sky and don't go to BT TV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Hi all
    Decided to go with talk talk as virgin were getting to expensive for us, and broadband very poor on virgin street over subscribed.
    First impressions of talk talk very good, broadband is quicker than virgin media, were on up to 152 Mb with virgin but only average about 10 megs most of the time, would phone virgin and broadband would increase in Speed to about 50 Mb for a day then back down to 10 Mb.
    Talk Talk broadband constant 38mb so happy with this, TV and phone all good about Half price for first year against virgin media, then £10 cheaper there after.

Virgin media
    Broadband 152mb, Phone xl, TV xl, Line rental, TiVo box cost £65.00 per month

Talk Talk
    Broadband 38mb Phone all call included, TV plus with entatement extra boost, line rental, you view box, cost £35.00 per month for first year, then £55.00 after.

Were are happy

Rob
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just upgraded my Talktalk account, where I was paying about £32.00 ish!... per month, for broadband and 24/7 free calls, they offered me, to renew my contract

Free calls 24/7 .. Broadband and tv with a free freeview box and includes about 4? I think or 5 sky channels ..... and all for £25.00 per month for the first year rising to £35 after that!, although he said I should ring when the 12 months is up and re-negotiate with them!...........

I thought I would be silly not to take the offer up as I have my own freeview box which I bought from Argos a few years ago but I have been thinking it was on its way out so this ha come just at the right time!...........

It has all arrived and I have my new broadband box connected but as yet I haven't set up the tv as I have a few things on the old box that I have already recorded so want to watch them before going over to the new box!.... hopefully I will be pleased when I do eventually swap it over!......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Got a new Hitachi tv, unlike the Sony that it is replacing I cannot control the volume on the tv with the remote, any ideas what I need to do to fix this?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goonerob wrote: »
    Got a new Hitachi tv, unlike the Sony that it is replacing I cannot control the volume on the tv with the remote, any ideas what I need to do to fix this?

Trial and error I'm afraid as the Hitachi could be made several manufacturers.
    Try this http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/can-i-use-my-talktalk-tv-remote-control-my-tv
    which lists
    Hitachi 1576 1772 0481 0578 0719 2207 0225 0349 0744 1585 0356 1037 1484 1481 2127 1687 1667 0634 1045 1854 0473 0036 0163 0343 2214 1163 0576 0499 1149 2074 0797 0480 0072 0037 0556 0109 0548 0178 1137 0105 0361 0877 0217 2279

but could also be from this list (the possible (?) maker)
    Vestel 1037 1163 1585 1667 0037 0668 0163 0217 0556

Or ......

Good luck

Model numbers would be a help in case someone has the same problem