Ascension (UK)

Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mini-series starts tonight at 9 on Sky 1. Worth watching?

"A young woman's murder causes the subjects of a century-long mission to populate a new world to question the true nature of the project as they approach the point of no return".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3696720/

Comments

• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched part 1 earlier in the week via on demand. It could be a good series. Great ending to the first part.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen all 3 and yes it is :) Bring on the series I say.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it a few weeks back. Interesting though the central story is pretty silly:D
    I'll probably watch a full series to see where they go with it.
  • MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Having seen all three parts I thought this was fairly terrible. The idea is good but the writing is poor.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MacBurp wrote: »
    Having seen all three parts I thought this was fairly terrible. The idea is good but the writing is poor.

cheers........I was toying with watching it but I shan't bother now !
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

IMO it was a good idea, poorly executed.

But it might be worth you watching in a so bad it's good type way.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    I'm watching. Love generation ship and space colony sci-fi.
    Forum Member
    Black XO on a 1960s American spaceship? Even Martin Luther King couldn't have got that gig!! And the size of that ship. Huge!! Would have been a quite exciting trip though. Would have preferred being on the last leg!
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment this looks like Twin Peaks in space.

With slightly less surrealism and no backwards-talking dwarfs.

A decent enough start.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    At the moment this looks like Twin Peaks in space.

With slightly less surrealism and no backwards-talking dwarfs.

A decent enough start.
    I agree. It's not probably what space loving sci-fi fans want to see but it is interesting.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guessed about the so-called "twist" about half-way through.

Now it becomes how well the next episodes are scripted.
    Forum Member
    That was a bit of a surprise episode ending!! Makes me even more interested now!!
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched part 1. It's so so. Saw the 'twist' a mile off.
    May stick it out but depends on my mood next week.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I liked it, will continue watching , one thing is for sure i did not see that ending coming
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Black XO on a 1960s American spaceship? Even Martin Luther King couldn't have got that gig!!

You weren't really paying attention were you? :blush:

It's not the 1960s - 51 years have elapsed since the start of Project Ascension, and there were references in Episode 1 which indicated that the XO was born "below decks", i.e. the lower-class area, which indicates he "worked his way up" to where he is in 2014.

Although it retains a number of artifacts and style cues from the Sixties, the societal rules and mores aboard the Ascension could be expected to move on to include a greater degree of freedom and equality, as they have on Earth. Whether it is realistic for an isolated society 'in a bubble' to develop in parallel with the outside environment is a whole other debate!
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    You weren't really paying attention were you? :blush:

It's not the 1960s - 51 years have elapsed since the start of Project Ascension, and there were references in Episode 1 which indicated that the XO was born "below decks", i.e. the lower-class area, which indicates he "worked his way up" to where he is in 2014.

Although it retains a number of artifacts and style cues from the Sixties, the societal rules and mores aboard the Ascension could be expected to move on to include a greater degree of freedom and equality, as they have on Earth. Whether it is realistic for an isolated society 'in a bubble' to develop in parallel with the outside environment is a whole other debate!
    Fair point. I realised that it was plausible in the scenario given.
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought some of the acting was a bit wooden. The XO seemed to be looking over the shoulder of everyone he was talking to so as he could read his lines off the autocue.

As an aside I recorded the programme rather than watch it as it was transmitted and I don't know if my receiver went wrong or what but one whole section was repeated. It went into an advert break then suddenly repeated the section where Gil Bellows and the other chap were talking in what looked like an underground walkway. Anyone else notice?
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible, having seen the 3 episodes. What has happened to good SciFi writing in US TV?
    Its Flash Forward meets Mad Men. 0 /10 from me, and I'm being generous. :o
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So the first three posts are positive - but you pick the first negative one to base your decision to watch or not on......

I am guessing you don't get to watch much.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 64 minute programme shown over 2 hours😡
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this following the hype by Sky,

I watched episode 1 via OnDemand and wasn't over impressed,hopefully it will get better,much better
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Guessed about the so-called "twist" about half-way through.

Now it becomes how well the next episodes are scripted.

Yes would agree...little hints before, but what really gave the twist away, was when the girl saw the person in the radiation suit.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you need to be told by others what to watch...rather than using your own mind and deciding for yourself. Do you go through life like that?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 64 minute programme shown over 2 hours😡
    IMHO the best way to watch this (it's only 3 hours of telly) is to record all three episodes and watch them together.

It's a good enough series (and pretty much the only "hard" SF there's been for a while :() but the stop-start nature of ad-breaks AND only showing 1 episode a week weakens it a lot.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a funny one for me. I liked how it was filmed, I liked getting to see Tricia Helfer be in something that wasn't absolutely dire in comparison to to of the things she's been in as of late (Killer Women, Dark Blue etc.).

But, it was kind of ridiculous. The twist did catch me off guard a bit, but other than the writing was quite poor, pacing ploddy and most of the cast were wooden. In particular Brian Van Holt as the captain and that guy overseeing the whole thing made me cringe.

Then they killed off the one character I genuinely liked, as well as the last few moments being a bit WTF. 'Oh so that fake out was actually a fake out of a fake out' so in the end it just felt empty. I'd probably try it if it went to a series but they'd need to hire different writers to run the show imo.

On a positive note I thought the set design was absolutely brilliant and award-worthy. The team they had in Montreal outdid themselves and it would be kind of a shame if the show didn't go to series just on the sheer expanse of those sets alone.