Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10?

I currently use W7 Home 64bit. I briefly 'upgraded' to W10 but after a few days I reverted to W7, as many of my much-used programs wouldn't run on W10.

However, I would still like to evaluate W10 over a longer period without losing my original W7 installation. I've looked into the possibilities of dual-booting, but am I right in thinking that a W10 installation would be unlicenced? I read this on another website;

"The downside to dual-booting Windows 10 as opposed to upgrading is that it won’t be activated. This means that users won’t be able to personalize their Windows 10 installation and a watermark will be on the bottom right corner asking you to activate."

I've already used the Media Creation Tool to put W10 on a USB stick, so my only other question is this: when I shrink the C: volume to make room for W10, how much space do I need? I was thinking about 64Gb as I currently have 220Gb of free space on my HDD.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    I currently use W7 Home 64bit. I briefly 'upgraded' to W10 but after a few days I reverted to W7, as many of my much-used programs wouldn't run on W10.

However, I would still like to evaluate W10 over a longer period without losing my original W7 installation. I've looked into the possibilities of dual-booting, but am I right in thinking that a W10 installation would be unlicenced? I read this on another website;

"The downside to dual-booting Windows 10 as opposed to upgrading is that it won’t be activated. This means that users won’t be able to personalize their Windows 10 installation and a watermark will be on the bottom right corner asking you to activate."

I've already used the Media Creation Tool to put W10 on a USB stick, so my only other question is this: when I shrink the C: volume to make room for W10, how much space do I need? I was thinking about 64Gb as I currently have 220Gb of free space on my HDD.
    /

It will activate. I do it with 8.1 and 10. It works as you can still only use 1 licence at a time on same pc.

64GB is plenty of space.
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Thanks oilman, I'll give that a whirl.

If 64Gb is plenty of space, what's the minimum? Then I might set it somewhere in between.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    Thanks oilman, I'll give that a whirl.

If 64Gb is plenty of space, what's the minimum? Then I might set it somewhere in between.

Not sure, but I have down as low as 40GB. In fact, you could install as low as 22GB (approx 14GB + 8GB space to work), but then you don't leave much headroom for programs etc,

Recommend you set it to at least 50 GB - you can always change partition sizes later.