Options

Record player help!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Should I get a phono preamp or just an integrated amplifier?

I'm so confused, all I need to do is plug my crappy computer speakers into my new turntable, for now.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    You don't need an expensive pre-amp. Plenty around for about £15 -- unless you're dealing with fairly high-end amplifiers they're quite adequate.

No you can't use a standard amplifier -- phono pre-amps use special equaliser settings that cannot be (easily) replicated with an ordinary amp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something around £20 is what I'm looking for, both achievable for either a phono preamp or integrated amp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should I get a phono preamp or just an integrated amplifier?

I'm so confused, all I need to do is plug my crappy computer speakers into my new turntable, for now.

Getting a s/h integrated is probably the way to go, if you're thinking of the future. You can use it as a phono pre-amp (by plugging the speakers into the tape out jacks) and can then upgrade the speakers later on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    You don't need an expensive pre-amp. Plenty around for about £15 -- unless you're dealing with fairly high-end amplifiers they're quite adequate.

No you can't use a standard amplifier -- phono pre-amps use special equaliser settings that cannot be (easily) replicated with an ordinary amp.

Ok, so should I just get a preamp like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp-/200880734047?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec56cbf5f

Or get an integrated amplifier like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariston-AX-910-Stereo-Hi-Fi-Integrated-Amplifier-/111142818524?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19e0a0d2dc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd get the integrated, assuming you're intending on buying speakers at some point.

That, plus the Technics plus a pair of (say) JPW mini monitors (s/h about £10 a set) would give you a pretty good little separates system at minimal cost.

This is exactly the kind of setup I suggest to anyone who is after cheap sonic thrills -- while it'll never beat an Arcam, something like the above will still blow away any cheap micro system.

Only thing I would say is that I'm not sure that specific integrated has a phono pre-amp built in -- you'd need that, and not all amps have it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something like this would probably be better -- made by a Japanese company rather than a cheap Richer Sounds Chinese import (which the Ariston is):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SU-V470-PXS-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-/200952455219?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec9b32033

It has phono by the look of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speakers are a lot cheaper than I thought!

Ok, so integrated amp it is, just gotta make sure it has a phono preamp built in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speakers are a lot cheaper than I thought!

Ok, so integrated amp it is, just gotta make sure it has a phono preamp built in.

Indeed. Older hifi speakers can be very cheap -- people are getting rid of them and moving down to small iPod docks etc -- I think they're mad but it's their choice.

Those JPWs are punchy little speakers -- not much bass to speak of but they do a great job of projecting sound into the room -- they'll be a revelation after computer speakers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Older hifi speakers can be very cheap -- people are getting rid of them and moving down to small iPod docks etc -- I think they're mad but it's their choice.

I'll keep my eye out for a nice pair then. Need to sort out the amp first though.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just bought the technics, which phono preamp should I get? Something cheap and cheerful from ebay will do.

Also don't forget the "stylus" has a limited life and will need replacing at some point (1000 hrs) max, so make sure you know what it is - and where to get a replacement
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Is this the way to go? Or shall I settle for the Sony PSLX300? All I want is something to tide me over until I have enough money to splash out.

It depends.

The Technics is the better of the two decks, but it isn't new so you'll only get a limited warranty from Greenhome. But the Technics is solidly built, my cousin is still using a Technics linear tracking turntable that was mine all through the 80s and it's still going strong. Of course it's had new belts and cartridges since then, but other than that and being well looked after it still sounds just as good as it did then.

I had a listen to that Sony last year at Richer Sounds, and to be honest it actually sounded superb. Richer had paired it with the aforementioned Cambridge Audio Topaz amp and Mission speakers.

But the only advantage to the Sony is that it is new and has connections to copy your vinyl to a PC.

But if the Technics is in very good condition, I'd still go for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I just bought the technics, which phono preamp should I get? Something cheap and cheerful from ebay will do.

Ah just read this.

Good for you. :D
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Because I've just started getting into vinyl and will continue when I have more money to do it justice.

So you recommend I don't even bother?

Yes - vinyl is really a waste of time at the best of times, but at least is 'reasonable' if you use top end equipment.

I wouldn't dream of using vinyl these days, although I've still got my record collection and Micro Seiki record deck in the loft.

I did dig it back out about 12-15 years ago, just to show my daughter - I didn't realise she'd NEVER seen a record or record player :p

After she stopped laughing, she asked what those crackling noises were, and was amused to find you had to turn it over - then she said "oh, just like a cassette!".

I felt SOOOOOO old :D
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Yes - vinyl is really a waste of time at the best of times, but at least is 'reasonable' if you use top end equipment.

I wouldn't dream of using vinyl these days, although I've still got my record collection and Micro Seiki record deck in the loft.

I did dig it back out about 12-15 years ago, just to show my daughter - I didn't realise she'd NEVER seen a record or record player :p

After she stopped laughing, she asked what those crackling noises were, and was amused to find you had to turn it over - then she said "oh, just like a cassette!".

I felt SOOOOOO old :D

Don't take any notice of Nigel, Ben. He doesn't get the emotion of vinyl - he's more a Mr Spock type than Dr McCoy ;)
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    he's more a Mr Spock type than Dr McCoy ;)

LOL I like that description :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't take any notice of Nigel, Ben. He doesn't get the emotion of vinyl - he's more a Mr Spock type than Dr McCoy ;)

I take that as a compliment :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hah! And yet cassette is even more dead than vinyl. Has anyone used tape in the last 10 years?

AFAIK the only people still using them are the police, due to the fact that it's harder to tamper with a tape than it is with a computer file (or at least, so goes the theory).

At the end of the day, all physical media formats are effectively dead (or living on borrowed time) now; vinyl, tape, CD, DVD, Blu-Ray. One reason vinyl is enjoying a resurgence is the packaging -- the 12" gatefold format will always be a superior way of presenting the artwork of an album.

Buy the record (which will be a collectors' item in years to come while the CD will be worth 50p if you're lucky), get the download copy free with it (a la Amazon -- although a FLAC copy would be better than the MP3s given out), best of all worlds.

I listen to vinyl quite often. Can't remember the last CD I played, other than being put in the PC to rip to the server.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hah! And yet cassette is even more dead than vinyl. Has anyone used tape in the last 10 years?

My daughter had an Early Learning Centre cassette player when she was little, used for audio story books - hence her familiarity with cassettes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually cancelled my order for the Technics, as a friend of mine offered me something I couldn't refuse!

For £75, I got a Kenwood integrated amp, Kenwood 5 CD player, Kenwood double cassette deck (which I will most likely throw away), a fisher turntable (obviously not the best, I do get some sibilance, but it will certainly do until I upgrade) and some KEF speakers.

The KEF speakers include 2 floor, a centre and 2 for surround sound. I have played around with them and will only be using stereo with the 2 floor speakers.

I am a happy bunny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only problem with it is that the auto return feature on the arm doesn't work. When it reaches the end, it lifts up and moves about a centimetre away, then lowers again, instead of returning to the resting position. I can live with that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem with it is that the auto return feature on the arm doesn't work. When it reaches the end, it lifts up and moves about a centimetre away, then lowers again, instead of returning to the resting position. I can live with that!

That's better than my pro-ject debut turntable, which has absolutely no automation at all (by design)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's better than my pro-ject debut turntable, which has absolutely no automation at all (by design)

It's pretty much the only thing I can complain about. I absolutely lucked out!

Well actually, the main thing to complain about is my house, floorboards are weak, so I walk past and the track will skip! I'm learning to tread lightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very nice deal. KEF speakers are amongst the best of the mid-range offerings.

Depending on the age, that Fisher turntable might not be so bad. Before they were bought out by Sanyo Fisher were a respected hi-fi manufacturer.

And the Kenwood kit was always really well screwed together -- KA3020 by any chance? Bit of a legend that amp :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very nice deal. KEF speakers are amongst the best of the mid-range offerings.

Depending on the age, that Fisher turntable might not be so bad. Before they were bought out by Sanyo Fisher were a respected hi-fi manufacturer.

And the Kenwood kit was always really well screwed together -- KA3020 by any chance? Bit of a legend that amp :)

Floor speakers: KEF Q35
    Surround speakers: KEF 55S - I now have this on top of the floor speakers, operating as left and right also
    Centre speaker: KEF Q95C - have no use for it, might get rid of it
    Turntable: Fisher MT-715
    CD player: Kenwood DPF-R4010
    Dual cassette deck: Kenwood KXF-W4010 - might sell this, have no use
    Amp: Kenwood KRF-V7010