Anyone use a trackball mouse?

Thinking of buying a logitech trackball mouse

I mainly use my PC for internet and Word/Excel

Will it be a good decision?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a try before you buy sort of thing, for some people its brilliant but for others its worse than having Jimmy Saville as a child minder, so if you can find someone who still has one then have a go and see but personally the only people i still see are those with medical problems
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    We had a couple at work for people with RSI and the like. They're OK, but they tend to crud up quicker than mice. It was more of a job to clean them out - screwdriver to undo them rather than just popping the ball out. But that might just be the type we had.

You've also got the option of an external touchpad, which may/mayn't be better for you.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used trackballs, all of my family do too. The only Logitech one I had was a mechanically driven one so it wore out but all the modern ones are nearly all infra red so they last years, even the relatively cheap ones. The Kensingtons we use all have a ball you can take out without undoing anything, just a quick wipe with a moist tissue, blow the dust out, put the ball back and youre done.

Its true to say they take a little getting used to but the good thing about a trackball is that if you dont have a lot of space they a great because they dont need space to move. I wouldnt go back to a mouse now and nor would anyone else here.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Most obvious question is why are you thinking about getting one?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the good thing about a trackball is that if you dont have a lot of space they a great because they dont need space to move.

When did you last use a modern ir/laser mouse? I can traverse the screen with mine by moving it no more than 1 or 2 inches in either direction!

I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to go back to a trackball mouse which get crudded up on the rollerss over time, and become erratic in response as a result. The modern Mouses (Mice?) are so low maintenace - a quick wipe of base now and then with a damp cloth.

About the only time a trackball is better than an ir/laser mouse is when the desktop surface is transparent. Easily solved using a high tech solution such as a "piece of paper".
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used a mouse with a trackball on top the other day in the library and found it very difficult to use. It was new to me, so perhaps if I had one at home I would get used to it - but why bother?

I agree that to go back to a mouse with a ball underneath is not sensible as they got very dirty, but for me the laser mouse wins.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mainly use my PC for internet and Word/Excel

It depends what you are using them for or rather why you would pick one over a mouse. For people with RSI trackballs can be god send as you don't need to move your wrist. However they are not as easy to use it but only because I suspect people are so used to having a mouse.

Once you get use to trackballs they are every bit as good as a mouse. People complain about having to clean them but it does not take long and you should only need to do it once every 3 months or so.

I would suggest the Logitech M570 retails around 50 pounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    When did you last use a modern ir/laser mouse? I can traverse the screen with mine by moving it no more than 1 or 2 inches in either direction!

I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to go back to a trackball mouse which get crudded up on the rollerss over time, and become erratic in response as a result. The modern Mouses (Mice?) are so low maintenace - a quick wipe of base now and then with a damp cloth.

About the only time a trackball is better than an ir/laser mouse is when the desktop surface is transparent. Easily solved using a high tech solution such as a "piece of paper".

I guess Im just completely used to a trackball. It has been 12 years or so. On this pc I have a Kensington Expert with the extra 2 buttons which open Explorer or Firefox as well, without having to move more than a finger. Traversing the entire screen (and this one is 27 inches) just takes moving a finger across the ball from one side to the other, although the Expert has a much bigger ball, which is about 2 inches across.
    I dont really find much of a problem with the rollers that a bit of wet tissue wont sort.

I do use laptop touchpads, but they are a pain. Sure I've used a laser mouse - the missus werent too pleased when I knocked a full cup of tea onto the carpet with my elbow...:D
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

I prefer the thumb driven ones like the Logitech M570, although the older Trackman Wheel is rather better IMO.

I wouldn't go for the "Trackman Marble" which is the finger driven one, because there's no obvious way to scroll up or down

Wouldn't go back to a mouse now. It's also great fun watching other people try to move my trackball around the desk and wonder why it isn't moving the mouse pointer. Or struggle to move the ball around for some reason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    We had a couple at work for people with RSI and the like. They're OK, but they tend to crud up quicker than mice. It was more of a job to clean them out - screwdriver to undo them rather than just popping the ball out. But that might just be the type we had.

You've also got the option of an external touchpad, which may/mayn't be better for you.

I think it was the type you had. The Logitech ones can have the ball popped out with a pen from underneath and it's a 20 second job to clean the rollers and the sensor

It's worth pointing out that it's nothing like the old ball mice in terms of accuracy, they're very very accurate and don't need cleaning too regularly (you'll notice that the ball gets really hard to move when it gets clogged up)
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jut a thought are we talking about conventional mouses, with a trackball underneath, or are we talking about more sophisticated trackball devices eg. a big trackball at the top which you rotate to move cursor?

My comments were aimed at a coventional trcakball mouse, and would not apply to other types.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jut a thought are we talking about conventional mouses, with a trackball underneath, or are we talking about more sophisticated trackball devices eg. a big trackball at the top which you rotate to move cursor?

My comments were aimed at a coventional trcakball mouse, and would not apply to other types.

Ahh understand now. No, a trackball is on the top of the mouse.

Kensington Expert

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Expert-Mouse-Optical-Trackball/dp/B00009KH63/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432552047&sr=8-3&keywords=trackball+kensington
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    You don't have to choose between one or the other. I use both - a trackball on my lap when browsing, and a mouse for more detailed things like image editing. Spending hours using a mouse for browsing used to cause all kinds of arm, shoulder and neck pain. Switching to the trackball meant that I no longer held my arm up to the desk for hours at a time. This made a huge difference.

This is the model (now discontinued). Contrary to other comments, it only takes a few seconds to clean and it has a scroll wheel.

So, if you want to try a trackball for RSI/posture reasons, it is well worth it. For any other reasons, it's more of a gamble.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My comments were aimed at a conventional trackball mouse, and would not apply to other types.
    Are there actually any ball mice still around?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Anyone use a trackball mouse?

I have tried using one but I didn't like using it at all. There are plenty still on sale though.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used one for a week and developed tenosynovitis that lasted 3 weeks.

I had to go back to an ordinary mouse after my wrist recovered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used one for a week and developed tenosynovitis that lasted 3 weeks.

I had to go back to an ordinary mouse after my wrist recovered.

I find that a pretty remarkable statement. Were you using it on a shelf or something?

As I said I've been using various trackballs for at least 12 years. The one I use now I've had since June of 2006. Although they often take a little getting used to, I'd say 2 days, hardly a week. Sometimes you have to find the most comfortable position on the desk, and sometimes you need to position your fingers and thumb differently, or even get used to using them on different buttons.

With the one I have now I use my first two fingers to control the ball in the centre, my thumb to left click and little finger to right click, which means the whole thing can be controlled by a small rotation of the wrist with my arm resting along the surface of the table and my wrist resting on the wrist rest.
    Im not having to support the weight of my arm at all, and I dont have to move my shoulder or elbow either, so its really comfortable, and I dont get tired so I can be very precise. I cant see me ever getting any sort of injury from it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course what suits individual people varies a lot. But I know of two silver surfers that really struggled with conventional mice. One has quite severe arthritis. Both seem to find a trackball far easier. Best thing to do is see if you can find some on display at a shop at gave it a try and see if it suits. Definitely not for everyone though.

Personally I prefer a trackpad and have an oversize desktop version.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used a trackerball for years, a Logitech TBC21, and much prefer them over mice. I just find them more accurate and quicker to use. I do have three monitors so moving from the left side of the left screen to the right side of the right screen is a long way for a mouse. With a ball you can do it in an instant.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen one in use for years :D I personally never liked them. I always found them hard to use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    This is the model (now discontinued). Contrary to other comments, it only takes a few seconds to clean and it has a scroll wheel.

If you're referring to me, I wasn't talking about that one - but the "Trackman Marble" - e.g. http://www.logitech.com/assets/21737/21737.png

It's that one and the M570 that Logitech still sells and are widely available. The rest are rare as hens' teeth and normally go for quite a bit on eBay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I have used trackballs for years & love them but the Logitech m570 is rubbish. After a year or so the click buttons fail making it unusable. Don't buy it