Computer going wrong in every way - what to do?

Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got a new PC last June and when I first bought it it was great. Now - not so.

For the past month or two it's been REALLY slow. Sure there's a few background programs running, but not that many. CPU Usage is always really low. RAM usage is nearly always between 2-3GB (I have 4GB in total). The problem was that my hard drive was constantly working, you could hear it crunching away. It made the computer really slow and sluggish. The computer was slow but at least everything worked fine.

However, since Tuesday, things have got much worse....

I've just tried to get some games running, I double clicked one and nothing happened. One game got as far as the black loading screen with the spinning circle, but the game just hanged there. Internet explorer and firefox won't load at all. Eventually got safari to load but it wouldn't even get to the homescreen. Google Chrome works fine however (so far!) so using that for the time being. When I first powered on the computer today I could not click on anything on the start menu but thankfully, I can now.

Ironically the hard drive usage has died down since monday, I can no longer hear the hard drive anymore and it is just flickering occasionally. Games are not loading but most programs and folders are working fine. Internet Browsing has become responsive again. However other programs like Control Panel often hang, and I then have to close them.CPU Usage is very low - less than 10%.

Interestingly when I tried to start the games/programs that wouldn't load, there was no disk activity or CPU Usage at all. Very odd. It's like my computer is deliberately refusing to load certain items...

Tried another game and it did load successfully, however, I then discovered that there's no sound! Yet all the speaker and audio cables are plugged in and sound is enabled in the control panel. I then tried messing around in the control panel it stopped responding and I had to close it down. But again, there was no cpu or disk activity.

I just don't know what to do anymore... My computer has become utterly useless....

It was great when I first got it in June. Not anymore. :(

Computer Specifications:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1

Intel Core i5 4690 quad core Processor

4 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 750 Graphics

Interestingly, when I right click on Computer and go into Properties, under the headings Processor and Installed Memory it says "Not Available".

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's most likely just a software problem. If you boot it into Safe Mode and it works fine that would prove it. I'd recommend a scan with Malwarebytes to eliminate rogue programs being the problem.

The comment about memory is interesting though. You could try the Windows Memory Diagnostic which is built in.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect a hardware failure in the chipset, that controls a lot of vital functionality like Memory controller, USB ports, HDD, sound and so on. More or less resulting in a complete failure.

This may/may not be seen in the Device Manager, it might look OK.

So it may mean a new MOBO, obviously they should last longer than that.

I would do more tests e.g. do devices like USB keys, drives etc connected to USB ports work correctly. Do a Hard Drive scan and so on.

Bear in mind this is merely an opinion based on what you have described, it can so easily be in error.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boot it up from some other source of the OS and wipe it and start again after dumping all your unsaved stuff to an external drive

also open up the case of the machine and is it full of dust bunnies etc? if so get a can of compressed air and give it a good going over as well

and we have to ask but any cracked games/software etc being used? if so theres your culprit probably
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It's most likely just a software problem. If you boot it into Safe Mode and it works fine that would prove it. I'd recommend a scan with Malwarebytes to eliminate rogue programs being the problem.

The comment about memory is interesting though. You could try the Windows Memory Diagnostic which is built in.

I've booted up into safe mode and it's working ok. Programs load very fast. Internet Explorer loaded in just second, The fastest I've ever seen it load! Sound of course doesn't work in safe mode and all of my background programs/services are not there. Graphical Programs like Google Earth don't work in Safe Mode.

But in safe mode my computer feels like it's as fast as when I bought it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only other issue is that my PC is now stuck in some very low resolution.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131986280@N07/shares/SRP8Yk

EDIT: Opened Screen Resolution window and I can now up the resolution to 1600x1200. Was 800x600 before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've booted up into safe mode and it's working ok. Programs load very fast. Internet Explorer loaded in just second, The fastest I've ever seen it load! Sound of course doesn't work in safe mode and all of my background programs/services are not there. Graphical Programs like Google Earth don't work in Safe Mode.

But in safe mode my computer feels like it's as fast as when I bought it! :D

The Safe Mode test just proves that in 'normal' mode, something is running that is slowing the PC down.

One solution is to backup all your personal data, and then do a factory restore. This will literally reset it to how it came from the shop. You will then need to reinstall your programs, antivirus, data, and all the Windows Updates. However, it could be worth the effort.

If you tell us the make/model of the PC we can talk you through the restore process.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Safe Mode test just proves that in 'normal' mode, something is running that is slowing the PC down.

One solution is to backup all your personal data, and then do a factory restore. This will literally reset it to how it came from the shop. You will then need to reinstall your programs, antivirus, data, and all the Windows Updates. However, it could be worth the effort.

If you tell us the make/model of the PC we can talk you through the restore process.

It is a custom built PC. One thing I may also try is disabling all startup items including antivirus in msconfig, just to see if that makes any difference in performance. I doubt it can be just something slowing down my pc though. There must be be something else. My sound isn't working, my games won't run and the only internet browser than will actually run is google chrome. The problem is I don't know what that something is :(

Unfortunately my PC is a custom built model, so I guess that could make things more tricky, but the motherboard was made by Asus, and when I go into System Properties, it does say under Manufacturer: ASUSTek. So I'd say that technically I have an ASUS computer because if I bought it from a shop the processor, graphics card etc would still be made by different companies anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another issue... Just started a malwarebytes scan in safe mode, And it is stuck on the "Applying Updates" stage in Safe Mode. It was like this last week too. I got a message saying that rootkit protection could not start and that it could be an indicator that rootkits had got into the system (but I do doubt that). Anyway, I clicked on Restart and before my computer got to the desktop malwarebytes starting a scan but could not get past the "Applying Updates" stage again.

Seems like this new PC has an endless amount of issues just like my old one. I was hoping that buying a new more powerful PC would mean greater performance and less errors and problems but unfortunately noooooo......
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I'm curious as to why you only got 4GB RAM rather than 8GB, especially as you are gaming, but am also curious about what the event logs have told you and Reliability Monitor, as you have not mentioned them.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    One thing I may also try is disabling all startup items including antivirus in msconfig, just to see if that makes any difference in performance. I doubt it can be just something slowing down my pc though.

what antivirus is it ? may be best to leave it running or at least switch it back on after a brief test.
    Another issue... Just started a malwarebytes scan in safe mode, And it is stuck on the "Applying Updates" stage in Safe Mode. It was like this last week too. I got a message saying that rootkit protection could not start and that it could be an indicator that rootkits had got into the system (but I do doubt that)

Try Tdsskiller , a very quick scan for rootkits, download and run the .exe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another issue... Just started a malwarebytes scan in safe mode, And it is stuck on the "Applying Updates" stage in Safe Mode. It was like this last week too. I got a message saying that rootkit protection could not start and that it could be an indicator that rootkits had got into the system (but I do doubt that). Anyway, I clicked on Restart and before my computer got to the desktop malwarebytes starting a scan but could not get past the "Applying Updates" stage again.

Seems like this new PC has an endless amount of issues just like my old one. I was hoping that buying a new more powerful PC would mean greater performance and less errors and problems but unfortunately noooooo......

A sudden slowdown is often the result of malware infection. What antivirus are you running (not Malwarebytes)?

It doesn't matter what hardware you have if the software is screwed up. I've already proved to you it's much better in Safe Mode when a lot of potentially dodgy software isn't running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm curious as to why you only got 4GB RAM rather than 8GB, especially as you are gaming, but am also curious about what the event logs have told you and Reliability Monitor, as you have not mentioned them.

The person who I bought the computer off said 4GB would be enough. Most of the time I only have 1-4 applications open at once though often I find I do have lots of tabs open in the browser (though I'm trying to cut that habit).

As for event logs and Reliability Monitor, I've not checked those yet. Would you like to have at look and upload the results?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried doing a scan with 360 Total Security (heard it's really good) but the scan has hung at 99% for the past 15 minutes.

I really do give up with this computer :mad:
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the graphics card hanging because there's not enough space on the 4:3 monitor

Use a 16:9 screen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the graphics card hanging because there's not enough space on the 4:3 monitor

Use a 16:9 screen

Don't wind him up.

OP, have you run the Memory Diagnostic yet? It that comes up with no problems, I'd bet money it's malware or an OS misconfiguration.
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its running ok in safe mode its obviously software something starting up when the computer boots

In Windows 7 goto run then type msconfig go to start up and untick everything if its no better then its something else

You will not do any damage so its worth a try
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person who I bought the computer off said 4GB would be enough.
    Isn't your solution to go back to the person you bought it off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Isn't your solution to go back to the person you bought it off?

No, because 4GB is enough for most people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because 4GB is enough for most people.
    That wasn't what I was alluding to. The OP said he was having a lot of problems with the PC (#9) and that " this new PC has an endless amount of issues just like my old one". Then later on mentions he bought it off someone (#13).
    Hence my suggestion to go back to the seller.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost always it's easier to re-install everything than spending days/weeks trying to fix the problem.

It's a software issue of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    That wasn't what I was alluding to. The OP said he was having a lot of problems with the PC (#9) and that " this new PC has an endless amount of issues just like my old one". Then later on mentions he bought it off someone (#13).
    Hence my suggestion to go back to the seller.

What I've been subtly trying to say is that if the OP had problems with both the old and new PC, the issue may be with the user.

Nothing I've read so far suggests this is a hardware problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I've been subtly trying to say is ..
    Not sure there is any great value in subtlety when it comes to pcs !
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's 'custom' built for gaming. That is what you are saying "buying a new more powerful PC would mean greater performance and less errors and problems" implies that things have been overclocked, that could apply to many things like CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM. Not done properly and you will have more problems than one at stock speed well within ratings.

Whenever you operate hardware faster than it's stock rating there are many potential problems if things are not tested for stability.

General comment there is return everything to stock speed and see what happens, a fundamental test. Whether you know how to do that no idea.

You cannot separate 'software' issues from 'hardware', e.g. you use 'software' to overclock 'hardware'. You need 'software'(driver) to use items of 'hardware'. They are permanently married for better or worse, not divorced.

You may well be riddled with Malware, but that is something else, a user issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help guys.

Turned my computer on Friday Night, and the computer is pretty much back to normal. It's like it never happened. It's remedied itself as quickly as it went haywire. Hard drive though is still thrashing with the hard disk activity light often fully lit of flickering, but it doesn't seem to be as loud as before. Performance is ok(ish). It could be faster and more responsive at least stuff works.

Tried disabling everything from msconfig and restarted my pc. It didn't work, I was still having issues, but shut it down and started it up again, and everything is working again. Sound, programs and games are working as normal.

Not sure what solved the problem or what causedthe problem in the first place. I still hate my PC, but at least everything's back to normal (for now).

It's like it magically fixed itself overnight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    So it's 'custom' built for gaming. That is what you are saying "buying a new more powerful PC would mean greater performance and less errors and problems" implies that things have been overclocked, that could apply to many things like CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM. Not done properly and you will have more problems than one at stock speed well within ratings.

Whenever you operate hardware faster than it's stock rating there are many potential problems if things are not tested for stability.

General comment there is return everything to stock speed and see what happens, a fundamental test. Whether you know how to do that no idea.

You cannot separate 'software' issues from 'hardware', e.g. you use 'software' to overclock 'hardware'. You need 'software'(driver) to use items of 'hardware'. They are permanently married for better or worse, not divorced.

You may well be riddled with Malware, but that is something else, a user issue.

I'm pretty sure nothings overclocked. All the parts were bought boxed and complete from a website. I know the seller personally and I know he's good with computers. As for malware, I have several real-time protection suites running at once, so I'm safe as far as malware's concerned.