Fault with Powering up Medion PC Faulty PSU?

Hi

I am having a problem with my Medion PC Model Medion MT6 (MED MT178A) bought in Aldi around 4 years ago.

When switched on at the power socket the power button lights up in a very dimm blue and the fan is whirring although the PC has not been started up.

I cannot get any response from pressing the power button on the front of the PC this will not start the PC up or turn it off!

I have turned the PC off at the switch on the back of the PC but when I turn it on again I get the same problem.

Do you think the fault is with the PSU? Although there is still power to the PC? Do you have any suggestion's on the best place to buy a replacement or the type I would need to buy?

Was very tempted to buy the new PC Aldi are selling on Thursday with Vista pre-loaded this may just make up my mind although I want to get this one fixed any way.

Thank You for your help. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it make any beeps ? anything at all being displayed on screen ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I have found a 400Watt sumvision PSU for £10.58 which I can pick up on the way home does any one know if this will be sutible for my pc?

http://www.discworlduk.co.uk/product.php?productid=19140&cat=358&page=1
    Forum Member
    lostsworld wrote:
    Does it make any beeps ? anything at all being displayed on screen ?

No beeps, On the Monitor I get "No signal Input" the PC remains "switched on" if I do not turn the PSU switch off. There is also no response from the power on button so I cannot switch the PC off or get it to boot up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    If it is any help, my son recently had identical problems with his Pc, and a new PSU resolved it.

He changed his graphics card almost a year ago, to a really high powered one, which (apparently) his previous PSU (rated at 300w) should not have run - but it did - although I don't know how.

Do you know anyone that you could borrow a PSU from to try before paying for a new one?
    Forum Member
    Mimpy wrote:
    If it is any help, my son recently had identical problems with his Pc, and a new PSU resolved it.

He changed his graphics card almost a year ago, to a really high powered one, which (apparently) his previous PSU (rated at 300w) should not have run - but it did - although I don't know how.

Do you know anyone that you could borrow a PSU from to try before paying for a new one?

Thanks, Im hoping its the PSU, I would rather not borrow one from another PC incase any problems are caused on a fully working machine.

Would a 400w PSU be too powerfull or can this be adjusted? Anybody know?

http://www.discworlduk.co.uk/produc...&cat=358&page=1

This one is a 400w PSU their 350w one is sold out.

Thanks
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    The more the merrier. The components will only draw what they need anyway, best to have some watts spare, depending on how the figure is measured.
    Forum Member
    Bought the PSU on the link above yesterday fitted it although the new PSU has a 24pin connecter and my mother board has a 20pin socket.

Need to get an adaptor now before I now if it works, I guess the best place to look for one of these is eBay although I wanted it a bit quicker than the weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    forumuser wrote:
    Bought the PSU on the link above yesterday fitted it although the new PSU has a 24pin connecter and my mother board has a 20pin socket.

Need to get an adaptor now before I now if it works, I guess the best place to look for one of these is eBay although I wanted it a bit quicker than the weekend.

Can you not take it back and ask for a 20pin ATX not ATX2.
    Forum Member
    Hi

Could you tell me if this is the correct adaptor please.

This converts a 20pin PSU to a 24pin Motherboard, I have a 24pin PSU to connect to a 20pin Motherboard. Is this the same thing only reversed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-PIN-ATX-TO-24-PIN-POWER-SUPPLY-CONVERTER-ADAPTOR_W0QQitemZ280081210510QQihZ018QQcategoryZ45342QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    No - you want one the other way round. Do what lotsworld told you to do - swap it.
    Forum Member
    Took the PSU back to Discworld.co.uk and they showed me that a 4 pin section of the 24 pin PSU connector detaches to allow the connection to a 20 pin motherboard. :)

PC all working again now thanks everyone for your help! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    forumuser wrote: »
    Hi

I am having a problem with my Medion PC Model Medion MT6 (MED MT178A) bought in Aldi around 4 years ago.

When switched on at the power socket the power button lights up in a very dimm blue and the fan is whirring although the PC has not been started up.

I cannot get any response from pressing the power button on the front of the PC this will not start the PC up or turn it off!

I have turned the PC off at the switch on the back of the PC but when I turn it on again I get the same problem.

Do you think the fault is with the PSU? Although there is still power to the PC? Do you have any suggestion's on the best place to buy a replacement or the type I would need to buy?

Was very tempted to buy the new PC Aldi are selling on Thursday with Vista pre-loaded this may just make up my mind although I want to get this one fixed any way.

Thank You for your help. :)
    hi, i'm hoping you can help. i'm doing a project with my grand daughter rebuilding an old medion pc mt6 but we can't work out the layout of some wiring. if you still have the medion you may be able to help. would be appreciated
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a very old thread, but I have a similar model and the power button is a rather strange beast. I don't know why it was designed in that way, but it only needs the lightest of touches to activate it and pressing too hard can actually dislodge it from its internal mountings. All you have to do is remove the front panel of the cabinet and then you will see how it is just a simple job to slip it back into its slot (no rewiring or anything else required). I'm now very careful not to give it more than a feather-light touch and it has been all right ever since. I've had it since 2009 and it has been almost entirely trouble free apart from that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    "No VIDEO INPUT" on Philips Monitor.

Hi, I'm re-visiting this forum for some more help after being advised previously about a re-build project.

We are getting the above display when powering-up the Medion PC-MT6. when trying the "POST" for the first time.

The fans whirr on both the heat sink and the PSU, but nothing else happens,

We suspect the graphics card.

Any ideas please?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "No VIDEO INPUT" on Philips Monitor.

Hi, I'm re-visiting this forum for some more help after being advised previously about a re-build project.

We are getting the above display when powering-up the Medion PC-MT6. when trying the "POST" for the first time.

The fans whirr on both the heat sink and the PSU, but nothing else happens,

We suspect the graphics card.

Any ideas please?
    Any beeps? Assuming you have the internal speaker wired up.

Is there more than one graphics card? E.g. One on the motherboard and other separate card.