Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that the echo I saw there is real -- that Louisa was disappointed and hurt because he couldn't see her/treat her as his wife, and as he leaves he acknowledges their connection in that way, which is truly important to her.

Also, now thinking back to E1, where we see the terms "husband" and "wife" proudly bandied about in the scenes with the hostile neighbor -- and also, Louisa's "hello, husband." -- but clearly as yet not in as deeply significant a way as these two exchanges.

Maybe this series is in part about on what it means, actually, to be "husband" and "wife" -- just as S5 was in part about becoming parents.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    ggo85 wrote: »
    I can't quite reconcile the DM and LG of the Peter Cronk surgery with the DM of LG surgery.

In the first instance, DM was able to keep his hemophobia "under control" in that he didn't vomit. And LG was so moved by the experience -- it was the tipping point in her relationship with DM for quite a while.

In the more recent surgery, DM pukes under much less bloody circumstances (I really didn't see much blood at all) and LG is indifferent at best about DM again rising to the occasion. OK, she maybe was under the influence of drugs but she doesn't seem to realize what it cost DM to do the surgery (even though she obviously didn't know he vomited).

Yes, time has passed. But the emotions are inconsistent. And that sort of bothered me.

Louisa did know Martin vomited. She rolled her eyes in acknowledgment of the vomiting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    As a diversion from all the great analytical posts, one reason my wife and I watch every week is the Cornish setting.
    We have holidayed very close to Port Isaac for many years and get a very warm feeling see the familiar scenery.
    If the program was more studio based it would lose a lot of its magic.
    I love the setting and totally agree the show would lose a LOT if it were studio based. There is something warm about the natural setting.
    And I love that he apologizes to the musician later on.
    Yes, me too!! Thought it was a great touch LOL
    <snipped>
    My biggest question at this point is where can they possibly go with her (Mrs. T) in the next series? Can they hone her to a finer comedic tune again, useful to the village, or send her off with another more exciting man, or have her falling in love truly with Clive?
    I was so disappointed in how they made her act this last show. She should be better not worse. I would love to see the original Mrs. T back, - I really think she added a lot to the show.
    NewPark wrote: »
    <snipped>
    I and many others can spin out, all day long, psychological theories as to what was happening with Martin. But the point is, that we are only shown these particular stimuli, and his reaction does seem disproportionate, and only explainable in terms of a plot device, never a good thing,.
    I totally agree with you here.
    I am so hoping the writing is better quality and more cohesive next series. I hate to need a cheat sheet to follow the plot line and I don't want to feel like I am Doc Martin impaired. LOL
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louisa did know Martin vomited. She rolled her eyes in acknowledgment of the vomiting.

Blood, Louisa's body and reptile brain would perhaps react to the sound of the vomiting but there was no way on earth that she would know or remember with this type of surgery. And gogo, I wonder if you would elaborate on your discussion about Peter Cronk and the 2 surgeries. I don't see them as parallel situations and don't really understand what you are saying. I guess the one thing we know is Martin's blood phobia has recurred like gangbusters and where he may not have vomited on Peter because of good luck and fortitude, this S6 he is much more sensitive and barfs at a hint of blood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    This is my first time here like several others. I am SO glad to have found you guys!!

Think you were all alone and going crazy with this show in your head? Glad you found us and join the club!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the heirloom clock ...

Except for when DM told his mother that the clock could be quite valuable, did we hear anything about it's value at any other time? We know that it has been in the family for generations and that Joan kept it safe in the trunk, but does that mean it's actually worth $$?

I guess I'm wondering if DM may have told mummy dearest that it had great value as a ruse ... ,maybe he had his suspicions early on? I know it's out of character for him to lie, but I was just wondering out loud.

I could go back to earlier episodes, but figure there's an answer in this Forum.

Here's a strange thing....after Martin and Mummy D have their showdown he tells her to get out and be gone by the time he gets back. He then goes and checks the folk singer out at his house. Afterwards, he returns, goes to his office and calls to book his flight. Why strange? Mummy D would have stolen the antique clock........but he didn't notice it...or maybe he did. Who knows, he was darn distracted I would guess.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much more reassuring episode this week, I thought.
    Perhaps there is hope after all.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a pity that Martin is so damn thick.

His wife and patient has a medical condition so serious it will likely kill her if she flies.

So, does he do what any normal person would do and phone the airport to ensure that she is stooped?

Does he hell!

He jumps into a car and drives off in such a mad panic that he crashes and cannot continue.

Does he phone now?

Nope, he once again gets hold of a car and goes rushing off.

Now he suddenly remembers these new fangled telephone contraptions but does he phone tha irport?

Nope, he phones his wife and fails to get across the vitally important message.

Now does he phone the airport?

No, he carries on and very nearly fails to stop her killing herself.

I can put up with the general absurdity of Martin's psychology and the unlikelihood that he could ever have attracted LG with his cold and offhand manner that only ever unbent, even with her, on the very odd occasion, but when they have him acting like a complete fool (or a bad doctor, such as the time when he was in the same room as a patient he had been told kept drinking and smelled acetone but never made the connection with diabetes) it really gets a bit much.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many hoax calls, from anonymous people, airports get a year?

I wonder how much time people waste trying to get through automated telephone menus a year?

If you know what time the plane leaves, and you have a reasonable chance to catch it, even if you have to speed then it's probably worth a shot.

He did try to tell her on the phone but she was already feeling the effects and didn't want to know.

He might have been able get Joe Penhale to go through Police channels to get a message through to airport security but time was short and there would also be the issue of patient confidentiality to consider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I wonder how many hoax calls, from anonymous people, airports get a year?

I wonder how much time people waste trying to get through automated telephone menus a year?

Are you kidding?

All GP's are known to the local police who would handle the emergency communication.

There's no point in struggling to find an excuse for what was nothing more than a stupid piece of writing.
    If you know what time the plane leaves, and you have a reasonable chance to catch it, even if you have to speed then it's probably worth a shot.
    So you would not use a guaranteed method of communicating about a life and death problem but would ignore that method to try something that is just 'giving it a shot'? I hope no one is ever relying on you in a life and death situation.

Another piece of sloppy writing: Putting a nail in place of a fuse will not cause the the earth to become live. He would have been more likely to set fire to something. Not to mention the fact that with the size of nail he used he would not have actually been able to get the fuse back in the box.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    It's just a pity that Martin is so damn thick.

His wife and patient has a medical condition so serious it will likely kill her if she flies.

So, does he do what any normal person would do and phone the airport to ensure that she is stooped?

Does he hell!

He jumps into a car and drives off in such a mad panic that he crashes and cannot continue.

Does he phone now?

Nope, he once again gets hold of a car and goes rushing off.

Now he suddenly remembers these new fangled telephone contraptions but does he phone tha irport?

Nope, he phones his wife and fails to get across the vitally important message.

Now does he phone the airport?

No, he carries on and very nearly fails to stop her killing herself.

I can put up with the general absurdity of Martin's psychology and the unlikelihood that he could ever have attracted LG with his cold and offhand manner that only ever unbent, even with her, on the very odd occasion, but when they have him acting like a complete fool (or a bad doctor, such as the time when he was in the same room as a patient he had been told kept drinking and smelled acetone but never made the connection with diabetes) it really gets a bit much.

I think it is only this series that they have made the Doc and all the others total idiots. I really do not understand why they did that.

All other series have been believable (ish) But like you say about telling his wife how serious her condition was on the phone. That was just a farce! Or was it to fill the hour as the whole episode was just plain stupid imo.
  • Options
    ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    And gogo, I wonder if you would elaborate on your discussion about Peter Cronk and the 2 surgeries. I don't see them as parallel situations and don't really understand what you are saying. I guess the one thing we know is Martin's blood phobia has recurred like gangbusters and where he may not have vomited on Peter because of good luck and fortitude, this S6 he is much more sensitive and barfs at a hint of blood.

I don't want to suggest they're parallel, only analogous. In both cases, DM is put into a life and death situation with a patient in which he knows the situation will be bloody. (Yes, we can debate whether there wasn't another surgeon in the entire hospital who could have stepped in, but let's assume DM was the only one.)

In the "back of the ambulance" surgery, DM overcomes his hemophobia to perform the procedure. And LG admires him for what he did -- not just in saving the boy but in doing so in light of his phobia.

Arguably, he did the same thing with LG's mother although at the time his hemophobia was apparently under "control." There, she didn't exactly show her gratitude (IMO, some sort of "thank you" scene was really missing) but we can assume she was grateful.

Now, in the latest scene, with LG's life on the line, he can't control his homophobia and LG is almost ungrateful. She seems to have no appreciation of the impact of performing life-saving surgery on your wife let alone having to deal with one's hemophibia while so doing.

Put simply: I found LG's reaction in S6 bordering on callous as compared to her reaction in S1.

On another note, I rewatched last night and thought I heard the following exchange b/t LG and the nurse.

LG: "Have you seen my husband?"
    Nurse: "No, but your surgeon should stop by soon."

My memory of the exact words may be a bit off but it seems the entire hospital didn't know that LG's surgeon was her husband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now, in the latest scene, with LG's life on the line, he can't control his homophobia and LG is almost ungrateful. She seems to have no appreciation of the impact of performing life-saving surgery on your wife let alone having to deal with one's hemophibia while so doing.

Put simply: I found LG's reaction in S6 bordering on callous as compared to her reaction in S1.

Don't forget that she would still have been under the influence of quite a lot of medication.

Plus, she already knows he's (usually) a good doctor.

But I think you're right in essence; they wanted a cross series 'cliffhanger' but couldn't be bothered to think up decent one.

Anyway, we all know the LG will be in the next series (assuming there is one) and if she is she can hardly be in Spain so we'll have just the same amount of LG/ME interaction, whatever happens.

But, let's face it, Martin isn't going to change, because if he did the programme would lose its raison d'etre.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I don't want to suggest they're parallel, only analogous. In both cases, DM is put into a life and death situation with a patient in which he knows the situation will be bloody. (Yes, we can debate whether there wasn't another surgeon in the entire hospital who could have stepped in, but let's assume DM was the only one.)

In the "back of the ambulance" surgery, DM overcomes his hemophobia to perform the procedure. And LG admires him for what he did -- not just in saving the boy but in doing so in light of his phobia.

Arguably, he did the same thing with LG's mother although at the time his hemophobia was apparently under "control." There, she didn't exactly show her gratitude (IMO, some sort of "thank you" scene was really missing) but we can assume she was grateful.

On another note, I rewatched last night and thought I heard the following exchange b/t LG and the nurse.

LG: "Have you seen my husband?"
    Nurse: "No, but your surgeon should stop by soon."

My memory of the exact words may be a bit off but it seems the entire hospital didn't know that LG's surgeon was her husband.

In the Peter Cronkite situation Martin was the only doctor in the ambulance. In the Louisa situation he was not the only doctor in the hospital. The competence of the surgeon assigned to do the surgery was greatly understated for plot device to another example of "suspending belief." This leads me to my next question: if BP forces us to suspend belief about technical aspects of the show (which the star of the show claims must be medically accurate) what other less-obvious things are we to suspend belief about? That Martin really wants to change this time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you kidding?

All GP's are known to the local police who would handle the emergency communication.

You mean like the one who's car he was sitting in? The one I suggested he could have spoken to?
    There's no point in struggling to find an excuse for what was nothing more than a stupid piece of writing.

This is forum open to anyone who wants to post.
    So you would not use a guaranteed method of communicating about a life and death problem but would ignore that method to try something that is just 'giving it a shot'? I hope no one is ever relying on you in a life and death situation.

He had already book a theatre, and surgical team.

That's a bit of a stretch especially, as I said before, he should have spoken to PC Joe Penhale, who could have passed on a request to airport security. As to your cheap shot, I'm not a brilliant doctor / surgeon with a wife in danger and am never likely to be.

A 999 call would probably be the extent of my involvement.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an earlier post NewPark thought that the small size of the house had in impact on DM's "breakdown". I'm not so sure the show actually showed us that. Sure, we have one moment when, oddly, sitting in the kitchen with LG making dinner, JH eating, and Mike Pruddy cleaning up seemed to get to him. However, we saw many more shots of DM alone at ease in his office, his sanctum sanctorum, quietly writing chart notes, or working on his clock. When LG entered, she was entering his "man cave", his space, and she respected that. He had a regular capacity to be quiet in his own space. So, I do not feel the size of the house really was a factor.

But, what was key factor(s)?

In S4, we see DM being completely shut out of LG's life, and out of the burgeoning life of his developing child. He desperately wants to be part of that, and is frustrated he can't be. LG is showing him, we could say, that she feels he is unlovable and she does not want to love and be with him. As a result, DM works towards a permanently leaving of PW and of LG, aside from occasional visits, and yet, during all that incredible stress (much more than simply sitting in a noisy kitchen) he is able to overcome his blood phobia in that season.

In S5, his blood phobia is still gone, while he and LG have a horrid time together, him repressed, unromantic, unloving, and she does leave him. Again, she is saying, you are not right now worthy of my love. She does not leave for a temporary holiday, but may be leaving him for good. During this time, he has no problem with his blood phobia and even can operate on Elinor without a problem.

In S6, he has had a lovely time with LG up to the wedding (we are lead to believe), a nice wedding, a crazy honeymoon which still kept them closely together. At this time in his life, LG is clearly saying to DM, "You are worthy of love, and I do indeed love you." Yet, back at home, out of the blue, his hemophobia returns, and he has an emotional breakdown.

The theme we eventually learn, it seems, was because he does not feel worthy of being loved due to childhood issues.

It simply seems incongruent to me that during the times he was overtly being shown he was not being loved (S4 and S5) he had his hemophobia under control, and yet when he is finally shown he IS worthy of being loved, with LG marrying him, the phobia suddenly comes back.

It seems reverse in terms of psychological triggering. I suppose people might say, well, when DM's life was feeding into his deepest issue, showing him he was unworthy of love, he could overcome his phobia based on that belief; but, when life was going against his deepest issue, showing him he was worthy of love, he had to manifest the phobia, then, to ruin it all.

I'm a little confused writing all that above, if anyone else was confused reading it! :);)

My point, is just that I find flaws in the writing of S4-S6, regarding us trying to really understand and accept how they presented DM and his psychological issues, particularly around the hemophobia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I have seen many writers on the forum write about the technical gliches regarding the surgery piece. I am an RN who worked in Neuroradiology (where the procedure would have been performed.) In addition, my husband is a neurologist (30 + years ) reviewed the surgical procedure with me. Clearly, this was a “play,” and not done as patient education material. I think people who are critical to the “hows”was interpreted as the director, film editor and actors, have to make that distinction. There have times when actors, or directors did things which would not be acceptable in a sterile operating room setting. I want to reassure you, because your neuro surgeon/ or neuro/radiologist is dealing with a person’s brain, there is no room for technical error. That is why Doc Martin locked Mr. (doctor) Goofey in the cleaning cabinet. Maybe that should be the take home message for all the Forum members!

I also remember how upset everyone was, when we never really saw any action during the honeymoon. One thing we know about BP the writers give us so many of layers we can abstract, wait then sit back and abstract some more. One of the members of the Forum mentioned how difficult it would be for MC to show his fanny in public now that he has a teen. What about our Carolyn Katz, she has two children too! So everything has to be subtle, under the covers.

But if we really listen to what was said between Ruth and Martin, then juxtapose that on the surgical scene, you may get a Fairy Prince and Princess type First night together.
    Aunt Ruth, “Martin, did you love surgery?” “Do you love Louisa?
    When Martin answered “yes,” to both of these questions, it almost sounded like surgery and Louisa hold the same status in Martin’s life. This was an insight about Martin’s character.

When Martin took Louisa out of the emergency vehicle he crossed the front door of the hospital holding her. The hospital became his castle, and she was being carried across his thresh-hold. He has phoned ahead and explained that a surgical suite is set up ahead of time. Just like King Henry would have a room made up completely for his bride. Upon Louisa’s arrival, she is taken away prepped by the surgical team. (In Henry's time, the bride would be washed, gowned, flowers in her hair and brought to her bed). We saw Louisa wearing a white gown and bouffant hair cover in anticipation of the SURGERY.

DM first had to outwit another final suitor for the lady’s hand, then prepared himself for the surgery. He cleaned and suited up. He talked to her as loving groom, gently and softly. Like the loving nervous bride, she laughed coyly, telling him sweet enumerations. (His head is big as the sun) (What he would look like with a proper bathing suit on and flip-flops.) He responds with the DM (Hmmmmm), He then starts the surgery. He is performing the thing he LOVES to do on the person he LOVES.

He made the initial incision, he became acutely aware of HER blood. The Bride turned her gaze ever so slightly and understood, without saying a word. ( We almost hear her say, “He has a little problem with blood.” Just the way she said when JH was born.)

At the end of the surgery, he felt fulfilled. He knew for the first time in his life, he was made to LOVE and protect this woman for the rest of his life. He is her OMEGA and she is his ALPHA.

He left the surgery in tears. She is sleeping like his princess. She asked for her husband. He returned to his wife, his patient, a changed man.

Later it was reported as he left the castle, he had developed a swagger like a king.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    I have seen many writers on the forum write about the technical gliches regarding the surgery piece. I am an RN who worked in Neuroradiology (where the procedure would have been performed.) In addition, my husband is a neurologist (30 + years ) reviewed the surgical procedure with me. Clearly, this was a “play,” and not done as patient education material. I think people who are critical to the “hows”was interpreted as the director, film editor and actors, have to make that distinction. There have times when actors, or directors did things which would not be acceptable in a sterile operating room setting. I want to reassure you, because your neuro surgeon/ or neuro/radiologist is dealing with a person’s brain, there is no room for technical error. That is why Doc Martin locked Mr. (doctor) Goofey in the cleaning cabinet. Maybe that should be the take home message for all the Forum members!

I also remember how upset everyone was, when we never really saw any action during the honeymoon. One thing we know about BP the writers give us so many of layers we can abstract, wait then sit back and abstract some more. One of the members of the Forum mentioned how difficult it would be for MC to show his fanny in public now that he has a teen. What about our Carolyn Katz, she has two children too! So everything has to be subtle, under the covers.

But if we really listen to what was said between Ruth and Martin, then juxtapose that on the surgical scene, you may get a Fairy Prince and Princess type First night together.
    When Martin answered “yes,” to both of these questions, it almost sounded like surgery and Louisa hold the same status in Martin’s life. This was an insight about Martin’s character.

When Martin took Louisa out of the emergency vehicle he crossed the front door of the hospital holding her. The hospital became his castle, and she was being carried across his thresh-hold. He has phoned ahead and explained that a surgical suite is set up ahead of time. Just like King Henry would have a room made up completely for his bride. Upon Louisa’s arrival, she is taken away prepped by the surgical team. (In Henry's time, the bride would be washed, gowned, flowers in her hair and brought to her bed). We saw Louisa wearing a white gown and bouffant hair cover in anticipation of the SURGERY.

DM first had to outwit another final suitor for the lady’s hand, then prepared himself for the surgery. He cleaned and suited up. He talked to her as loving groom, gently and softly. Like the loving nervous bride, she laughed coyly, telling him sweet enumerations. (His head is big as the sun) (What he would look like with a proper bathing suit on and flip-flops.) He responds with the DM (Hmmmmm), He then starts the surgery. He is performing the thing he LOVES to do on the person he LOVES.

He made the initial incision, he became acutely aware of HER blood. The Bride turned her gaze ever so slightly and understood, without saying a word. ( We almost hear her say, “He has a little problem with blood.” Just the way she said when JH was born.)

At the end of the surgery, he felt fulfilled. He knew for the first time in his life, he was made to LOVE and protect this woman for the rest of his life. He is her OMEGA and she is his ALPHA.

He left the surgery in tears. She is sleeping like his princess. She asked for her husband. He returned to his wife, his patient, a changed man.

Later it was reported as he left the castle, he had developed a swagger like a king.

LOVE THIS, Paperchase!:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I'm more than late to this thread to say the least! I do however, love DM - so I hope to join in even if it's for the next series.
    Love the characters, especially DM but how do you put up with him on a daily basis?!:confused:

The setting is amazing as are the other characters - I'm going to buy the set of all the series to leave it in my apartment abroad - a taste of home but a wonderful series.:)
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto what you said! So refreshing after all the (in my opinion) negative comments. I am tired of trying to refute them and you did it in such a wonderful and metaphorical way. I loved series 6 and I am sticking by that opinion. I will watch that episode with your comments in mind. Thank you!
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    In the Peter Cronkite situation Martin was the only doctor in the ambulance. In the Louisa situation he was not the only doctor in the hospital. The competence of the surgeon assigned to do the surgery was greatly understated for plot device to another example of "suspending belief." This leads me to my next question: if BP forces us to suspend belief about technical aspects of the show (which the star of the show claims must be medically accurate) what other less-obvious things are we to suspend belief about? That Martin really wants to change this time?

There are some things that we have come to accept as part of the TV Land universe with any show that has a long run. For example, according to the timeline, the wedding should have been in late Dec, early Jan, but people wore sundresses. In the course of 4 years or so, the town's only chemist shop has been in 3 locations, its police station in 3 locations and a woman having her first baby will be in labor for about 10 minutes and be up and about the same day having lost almost all of her baby-weight.

As long as the characters remain true, then we should be willing to let the details go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    You mean like the one who's car he was sitting in? The one I suggested he could have spoken to?
    LOL, yes, your argument was pretty much self defeating. ;)
    This is forum open to anyone who wants to post.

I didn't even suggest you shouldn't post, I just said it was pointless struggling to try and gloss over obviously absurd writing.
    He had already book a theatre, and surgical team.

Which would have been utterly useless if she was dying, 30,000 feet up, when he got to the hospital.
    That's a bit of a stretch especially, as I said before, he should have spoken to PC Joe Penhale, who could have passed on a request to airport security.

Or, got the hospital to phone the airport.

The point is that you were desperately trying to excuse downright irrational behaviour (in fact, just sloppy writing) and it's quite clear from this post that you now realise that your excuses were absurd.

Your original points; 'wondering' how many hoax phone calls there were and 'wondering' how much time people wasted with automated menus, in response to my observation that his trying to stop her flying by physically intercepting her instead of using electronic communication were ridiculous. They would apply in millions of other situation around the world every day where electronic communication is used as the prime means of managing an emergency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the members of the Forum mentioned how difficult it would be for MC to show his fanny in public now that he has a teen.

Erm, MC is a man. He doesn't have a fanny.
    What about our Carolyn Katz, she has two children too! So everything has to be subtle, under the covers.

This is nonsense. Actors with children take part in sex scenes all the time. They didn't show any simply because it isn't that type of programme.

You seem to be over thinking this a little. The writing of DM is far too erratic and careless to imbue it with such deep and subtle layerings of meaning. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, yes, your argument was pretty much self defeating. ;)

No it wasn't. He was in a car on the way to the airport, I presume, when he had the crash. He buttonholed a Police Officer to rush him there instead.
    I didn't even suggest you shouldn't post, I just said it was pointless struggling to try and gloss over obviously absurd writing.

Is this supposed to be a factually correct medical drama like Casualty? Next we'll have electricians, teachers, chefs, and Police officers etc picking the script apart for not being factually correct. We've already got drama critics in here.
    Which would have been utterly useless if she was dying, 30,000 feet up, when he got to the hospital.

It wouldn't be absurd if he phoned the hospital to have a theatre and staff waiting if he was on his way to the airport to get Louisa, I can't see him relying on anyone else to do it for him. They would have been ready and waiting when he and Louisa turned up.
    Or, got the hospital to phone the airport.

Why would he go to the hospital when he had a perfectly good phone in his pocket? Once she rejected his call he probably felt he had to get to her in person rather than wasting time explaining to other people.
    The point is that you were desperately trying to excuse downright irrational behaviour (in fact, just sloppy writing) and it's quite clear from this post that you now realise that your excuses were absurd.

His behaviour was probably rational if he thought he was the only one who could get to her and persuade her to go to the hospital without wasting too much valuable time.
    Your original points; 'wondering' how many hoax phone calls there were and 'wondering' how much time people wasted with automated menus, in response to my observation that his trying to stop her flying by physically intercepting her instead of using electronic communication were ridiculous. They would apply in millions of other situation around the world every day where electronic communication is used as the prime means of managing an emergency.

And just how many people is he going to waste time speaking to before he get to someone who will actually listen?
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, MC is a man. He doesn't have a fanny.

Erm, Paperchase, who made the original comment is from USA where, I think I'm correct in saying, both men and women have fannies.:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.