The Good Wife - Season 5 - More4 Pace *No Spoilers*

Comments

• twintwin Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have watched since the beginning and I loved Will. I had managed to escape the knowledge that he was leaving , so am now still in a state of shock. Can't quite believe it. :(:(
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Shame so many people decided to ruin it for others over the past few weeks.

Now it's out the way, any word on why it happened? I don't want to look it up in case I find any other spoilers. (thought I'm sure there are already people waiting to ruin the remaining episodes for the rest of us)

I was genuinely shocked watching the episode on my PVR tonight, because thankfully I only go to these boards once in a while and I never go to the official web sites of my favourite shows.

For example, I haven't got Sky and I am only up to the end of series 2 of Game of Thrones on Blu-ray. Season 4 is currently being shown on Sky and avoiding spoilers is like trying to avoid breathing oxygen.... but I will keep my viewing and participation on tv boards, tv listings magazines (the worst for spoilers) and tv review sites to the absolute minimum.

Only really came to this board tonight as it was such a momentous episode.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    So did Josh Charles want to leave or was it just a story arc? Interesting so see where the show goes now as it's quite a lot to lose Will and Kalinda in the same season. I really hope they don't give a bigger role to the annoying irish guy as that would be rubbish.

He wanted to leave at the end of the last season but was persuaded to stay on for half this sesaon so they could write him out with a bang and do the character and show justice ... there´s a good quote from an article on this a few pages back!

I also thought Kalinda just wanted to leave LG ... I actually wonder whether that scene was put in to reignite the bond between her and Will before he died ... they´ve always been close but we haven´t seen much of them together lately ... I think all that was so he could give her that pep talk and the viewer would be reminded of their history and how well they know each other etc etc ... making the next few scenes and the death of Will more poignent and more meaningful to Kalinda as a character ...

Irish guy is v annoying ... so glad the writers seem to have realised this too!
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twin wrote: »
    I too have watched since the beginning and I loved Will. I had managed to escape the knowledge that he was leaving , so am now still in a state of shock. Can't quite believe it. :(:(

Me too....

I loved the way we saw it through Kalinda and Diane's eyes, it made it all the more poignant without the dramatics.
    Beautiful, understated acting.

OH cried like a big girls blouse... I didn't, but I'm sure I will next week when the news presumably breaks.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Is Kalinda leaving the series or just LG?

Would be funny if everyone ended up together again, just under a different firms name!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Is Kalinda leaving the series or just LG?

Would be funny if everyone ended up together again, just under a different firms name!

FLAG. Or FLAB if Damian Boyle becomes a partner. Or FLAP if Finn Polmar does.
  • Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    FLAG. Or FLAB if Damian Boyle becomes a partner. Or FLAP if Finn Polmar does.

If Finn Polar joins Florrick Agos, they would become FAP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the crazy mad funny lawyer joined up with The Rainmaker from last weeks episode? I sadly accidentally found out about Will dying through an article about shock deaths and Will was top and I was so annoyed as I never go looking for programmes that have already run in the US. Anyway I thought his death was going to be a hit/assassination linked to the stolen votes so a random killing was much better. Not sure if they did Will/Alicia justice by making them pretty much hate each other all season.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may have already been mentioned, but because I'm two episodes behind I haven't read any recent posts, but my Sky Planner hasn't series linked this weeks episode for some reason.
    Might be worth checking yourselves.
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched it last night and that was quite a shocker.

It won't be the same without Will :(
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicia just can't get Will out of her head.
    She's torturing herself remembering the good and bad conversations they had, and listening to the last ever voice mail message he sent her.
    It's very moving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's so sad. The slo-mo shooting scenes without the sound in the courtroom were well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You tell 'em Diane. That was brilliant. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaah So Will fired Damien over the phone just before he died. That explains Damiens sudden exit. But who was Damien poaching clients for?
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaaah So Will fired Damien over the phone just before he died. That explains Damiens sudden exit. But who was Damien poaching clients for?
    Was wondering where the annoying Damien had gone.:D
  • Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    The stars of this episode were David Lee and Diane.
  • ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angry Cary was very sexy tonight.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't expect that episode to to me but it did.:( It never the actual death or killing I find heartbreaking, but the aftermath of the people who are left behind, spelling out the true meaning of what the person meant to them.

The first ten minutes were absolutely done brilliantly. Just seeing people's reactions said a lot about them as characters. The smallest things setting them off like Alicia seeing a boy with his mum, remembering that Will was once a boy and will never be a dad, and her playing that last message again and again. Seeing David get upset was a revelation - he needed to let his emotions out privately.

I clapped when Diane sacked that douchebag of a client. And as for Cary laying in on the scumbag lawyer got my vote too. There are a lot of 'bags' - another one being Damien another - I know, but boy! it felt good to take their anger out on the dimbats. They've only got themselves to blame.

And as for Kalinda, yeah, it will be all to easy for Jeffery to take the easy way out and kill himself. All too easy because he gets to choose the manner of his punishment. Which is perverse which ever way you look at it.

Poor Alicia.:( Torturing herself wanting to know if Will said any words for her, particularly if he loved her or even that he had forgiven her for she did to him. It's so true to live. That Diane just to fire a client goes to show how meaningless the whole 'stealing' clients and the anger it provoked was kind of pointless in the end.

Eli on the outside looking in, but also knowing what Will's death really meant for Peter. No glee, no triumph. Just all matter-of-fact in terms of the political ramifications yet feeling disgusted with himself at the same time.

Nice twist at the end with Damien being the one who Will was angry at. It was good that Alicia knew that since Will had forgiven her anyway, though she did not know this specifially. Glad that they replayed that scene a couple of seasons back of Will telling Alicia he wanted the whole shebang.

Matthew Goode is such a good actor. Honestly, I hope they think to bring into the show. The hospital scene with Alicia was both so sad and funny (being so drugged up to the eyeballs). It was quite wonderful to see two sides of a character that had barely enough screentime to make an impact over two episodes. Terrific performance all round..
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Angry Cary was very sexy tonight.

Made a change to see him do something different.

So...Damien is gone? wtf happened there??? Did they remember Kalinda is only supposed to have shit plots in even-numbered seasons?

Peter, David, and Grace return from their absences, Zach and Robyn still M.I.A. (am I the only one who likes Robyn?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »

So...Damien is gone? wtf happened there??? Did they remember Kalinda is only supposed to have shit plots in even-numbered seasons?

The writers are pretty flexible when it comes to dropping characters or plots that just aren't working. Last season, Kalinda's husband was supposed to have a much longer story arc, but the audience just didn't buy into it at all, so they quietly got rid of him and he was never mentioned again.

I imagine Damien went the same way - too much of a cartoonish villain in a show that tries to keep things "real".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »

Matthew Goode is such a good actor. Honestly, I hope they think to bring into the show. The hospital scene with Alicia was both so sad and funny (being so drugged up to the eyeballs). It was quite wonderful to see two sides of a character that had barely enough screentime to make an impact over two episodes. Terrific performance all round..

Don't know if it counts as a spoiler, but to be safe...
    He was promoted to "series regular" status around the time of this episode, so he'll be around. Whether he has a future on the show longterm, I don't know - he's quite an in-demand actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qwertyell wrote: »
    The writers are pretty flexible when it comes to dropping characters or plots that just aren't working. Last season, Kalinda's husband was supposed to have a much longer story arc, but the audience just didn't buy into it at all, so they quietly got rid of him and he was never mentioned again.

I imagine Damien went the same way - too much of a cartoonish villain in a show that tries to keep things "real".

Yes I was presumsing something like this must have happened as it was a very odd exit. It did feel a bit like it had been hastily written in to explain his absence rather than a long thought out plan for the character ... I¨m so glad he wasn´t in last night´s show though, his ott reaction would have been so out of place amongst all the real grief from the more genuine characters who had history with Will.

Loved last nights episode, I could have carried on watching it for hours. Just perfect in terms of all the characters individual responses to the sitation. I particularly liked David Lee last night, esp when he pushed Diane´s arm away ... he just can´t deal with showing emotion. Peter was brilliant too ... his need to talk to Alicia, Will still coming between them, such a complex web of emotions ... grief, relief, sadness, shock ... Glad Will´s girlfriend wasn´t there ... another Damien type character who would have ruined the overall effect. Cary was brilliant too ... this will definitly bring everyone back together ...
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many beautiful touches.

David Lane – I thought he left the meeting to go and start positioning himself for succession… but no, he left the partners’ meeting to hide his own upset.

Diane getting rid of the tearful one-weeker…

Kalinda generally: such understated range of emotions done so well…

Cary suddenly finding his inner steel… and he's needed to do that for all of this season - Alicia isn't your mum, Cary.

And firing the client… good on ya, Diane.

Grace… so sweet

And now we understand the reason Damien Boyle was there – just to give Alicia 12 hours of angst. :D

What an enormously moving episode.

I wonder if Will's girlfriend (they didn't marry, did they?) is pregnant. I can't see any other reason for her to have been mentioning children at the time and it seems odd that she had some strong scenes only to vanish. I suppose it could be like Damien Boyle - they decided the storyline went nowhere and ditched her - but they knew they were killing Will off so why bother introducing her in the first place if not for a specific reason?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    [/SPOILER]
    Possibly, I know what you mean and she did keep mentioning children but I¨m not sure whether it would be that interesting a storyline or relevent to the show ... I mean if she was pregnant then aside from trying to get money out of LG and proving paternity and annoying Alicia and Diane there´s not much else that will happen, she´d have the child and go live somewhere with it.
    I think the purpose of her character was more to show how Will went off the rails a bit after Alicia left him and betrayed him. Will almost went on a sort of self destruct hedonistic power trip ... trying to make LG a massive company, get every new client going, getting this young crazy almost trophy girlfriend, becoming much harder and closing off his heart somewhat. Rather than looking for love he was just looking for somewhere to vent his anger and frustration basically! And the fact we haven´t seen her for a while suggests to me the relationship had fizzled out a bit .... but I could be wrong and she could well be pregnant!!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Bel110 :) I took my spoiler tags off because it was absurd of me to treat my personal musings as needing a warning!

I decided me pondering about an existing character who hasn't even been seen for several episodes really wasn't in any way "wrong" and I was pandering too much to those who seem to feel any discussion of what might happen should be forbidden.

You may well be right, though... I can't see what a Will Jr would bring to the dramatic mix except a lot of severely broody looks from Alicia! :D