What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    It really doesnt matter how right you are,if the other person doesnt care what you think
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I only realised today that people (mainly younger ones) saying "Later" instead of "G'bye" goes back much further than the last 10-15 yrs.
    I realised it when watching a low budget B&W scifi shocker from around 1955. and two teenagers used it when parting.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not something that i've just realised but when I was younger for ages I though the phrase "seconds out" meant that the time countdown between boxing rounds was over.

Never realised it meant the trainers in the corners :D

I didn't know that either!
    postit wrote: »
    My daughter had to point this out to me...

"Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
    A kiddley divey too, Wooden shoe!"

My father used to sing this all the time, it's only now that I realise that the words actually are:

"Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

Although I knew the correct words, for years, well until i was about 35, I thought it was a little ditty that my granddad has made up until I heard someone else saying it.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    That Jaden Smith is named after his mother, Jada, and Willow Smith is named after her dad, Will. Never made that connection at all till my son pointed it out.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That I'm not attractive to men anymore - been looking in the mirror over the years but its a few recent photos in my comfy clothes that convinced me.

:(

Ah well
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Jaden Smith is named after his mother, Jada, and Willow Smith is named after her dad, Will. Never made that connection at all till my son pointed it out.

Same for me with Izzy Stradlin (guitarist from Guns & Roses) and his real name, Jeffrey Isbell.

I knew about both names for years, but didn't make the connection between Izzy and Isbell. Not until I went down the usual thinking-about-all-sorts-to-stay-awake avenue during a long dull meeting at work.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only realised today that people (mainly younger ones) saying "Later" instead of "G'bye" goes back much further than the last 10-15 yrs.
    I realised it when watching a low budget B&W scifi shocker from around 1955. and two teenagers used it when parting.

See you later alligator
    In a while crocodile
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I don't think that it's really obvious, but I've just found out how to tag a friend on Facebook so that it only displays their first name and not the full name. My life is complete. Probably.
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that it's really obvious, but I've just found out how to tag a friend on Facebook so that it only displays their first name and not the full name. My life is complete. Probably.

You can also just show their last name.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    It really doesnt matter how right you are,if the other person doesnt care what you think

Ah, yes, the crushing moment you realise you can't win.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I learned that trolling (on the net) has nothing to do with trolls in the woods.
    I really hope I am not the only one who thought they were connected in some way.

Trolling is apparently used in fishing, where it means dangling bait and hoping someone/thing will take it.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    That Barry Manilow is gay. I only realised when he married a Garry recently.

no way

the next thing youll be telling me rock hudson was gay ;-)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Versailles wrote: »
    Trolling is apparently used in fishing, where it means dangling bait and hoping someone/thing will take it.
    Surely that's just "fishing"...? If only Mr Hartley had published his second book we might have had a reference to check :p Never heard of that usage before.

It looks like there's two words at work here, one meaning the stomping around to provoke a response, and one meaning fishing for answers. I had always taken the 'fishing for answers' one as being a misuse (via autocomplete and misunderstanding) of 'trawling' because the first time I saw it in that context was someone saying they were going to troll newsgroups for answers - and the way that made sense to me was 'trawl usenet archives for answers'. It was a technical question and didn't lend itself to anything controversial, not even in a windows-v-linux sense. To me, the 'trawl' meaning makes more sense as it's more like needle-in-haystack than bait-and-catch.

Live and learn - though for things like this I think I'd want to see something with a clear publication date prior to September 1993 ;) or my assumption has to be that someone got it wrong and spent the last 20 years trying to figure out how to pretend they were right all along. Like when people try and pretend that they knew and frequently used a particular term before it appeared on a 'word of the day' web page.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely that's just "fishing"...? If only Mr Hartley had published his second book we might have had a reference to check :p Never heard of that usage before.

It looks like there's two words at work here, one meaning the stomping around to provoke a response, and one meaning fishing for answers. I had always taken the 'fishing for answers' one as being a misuse (via autocomplete and misunderstanding) of 'trawling' because the first time I saw it in that context was someone saying they were going to troll newsgroups for answers - and the way that made sense to me was 'trawl usenet archives for answers'. It was a technical question and didn't lend itself to anything controversial, not even in a windows-v-linux sense. To me, the 'trawl' meaning makes more sense as it's more like needle-in-haystack than bait-and-catch.

Live and learn - though for things like this I think I'd want to see something with a clear publication date prior to September 1993 ;) or my assumption has to be that someone got it wrong and spent the last 20 years trying to figure out how to pretend they were right all along. Like when people try and pretend that they knew and frequently used a particular term before it appeared on a 'word of the day' web page.

I dont know who Mr. Hartley is. I am not from UK, so maybe he is known in UK.:)

The reason I know about trolling now, is because I was having a conversation with an elderly fisherman in Plymouth. He explained to me what he was doing, and I politely listened. Suddenly he used the word trolling, and that caught my attention.

The way he explained it, was that trolling is when you are not sure what bait to use or/and lay out different bait to catch different types of fish.

To me it made sense, but then again, he may have been trolling me:D
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Versailles wrote: »
    I dont know who Mr. Hartley is. I am not from UK, so maybe he is known in UK.:)
    D'oh - should have spotted that - a long time ago there was a long-running yellow pages ad on TV where someone was looking for a book "Fly Fishing" by J.R.Hartley, the person looking finally finds a copy, and gives their name as... J.R.Hartley.
    To me it made sense, but then again, he may have been trolling me:D
    I'm always a bit wary of what old-timers tell me because often they are! Goes in the category of 'the ice cream van plays the tune to announce there is none left'...
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'oh - should have spotted that - a long time ago there was a long-running yellow pages ad on TV where someone was looking for a book "Fly Fishing" by J.R.Hartley, the person looking finally finds a copy, and gives their name as... J.R.Hartley.

I'm always a bit wary of what old-timers tell me because often they are! Goes in the category of 'the ice cream van plays the tune to announce there is none left'...

My chap is a professional (and hobby) fisherman, my understanding of 'trolling' is when fishing from a boat, lines are cast from the back of the boat and then the boat motors around the bay hoping the fish are attracted to the bait - which are usually little shiny things made to look like little fish and they flicker and sparkle in the water. :)
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    That the old Viz comic strip "Nobby's Piles" is a reference to the footballer Nobby Stiles, and not just referring to a man called Nobby who has piles.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My chap is a professional (and hobby) fisherman, my understanding of 'trolling' is when fishing from a boat, lines are cast from the back of the boat and then the boat motors around the bay hoping the fish are attracted to the bait - which are usually little shiny things made to look like little fish and they flicker and sparkle in the water. :)

That's 'trawling' not 'trolling'. Similar pronunciation in some accects though. Really internet 'trolling' is a combination of baiting people and acting like a little monster.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's 'trawling' not 'trolling'. Similar pronunciation in some accects though. Really internet 'trolling' is a combination of baiting people and acting like a little monster.

Nope that's trolling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_%28fishing%29

Trawling is fishing with a net http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawling
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »

Okay. I did not know that. LOL
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not particularly obvious but I recently found out that the song 'The Prayer' by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli is not an old operatic song but is in fact recent and amongst others was written by the wonderful 'Carole Bayer Sager'
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    That if you put a lid on the frying pan for a bit when you're frying eggs, you don't need to flip it.

That frying pans have lids. Never seen one with a lid. :blush:
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Same for me with Izzy Stradlin (guitarist from Guns & Roses) and his real name, Jeffrey Isbell.

Did you also know that Axl Rose is an anagram of Oral Sex?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That George Formby's "When I'm Cleaning Windows" is dixieland jazz.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you also know that Axl Rose is an anagram of Oral Sex?

:D It was Phil Alexander from RAW magazine who came up with that. Rose wasn't impressed, but eventually embraced it as part of his myth-building.

God, I feel so old now.