Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aoife44 wrote: »
    My friend and I were returning from Paris and were in London awaiting our bus heading home to Scotland. We thought we would have a quick look at Buckingham palace while we were waiting and on the walk along from Victoria bus station we met her neighbour who was walking in the opposite direction.

Same thing happened to me. Went to London with a friend for the weekend to see a concert. As we got to the hotel I ran into my next door neighbours. Also in London that weekend with her friend to see a concert. We'd been on the same train going apparently and had booked the same train home.

Strange things coincidences!
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thought of having a doppelganger and seeing them freaks me out
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »

I'd love it, though it would be a bit weird and freaky to be face to face with them.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. Went to London with a friend for the weekend to see a concert. As we got to the hotel I ran into my next door neighbours. Also in London that weekend with her friend to see a concert. We'd been on the same train going apparently and had booked the same train home.

Strange things coincidences!

My cousin went to live in Canada and decided to see a bit of the country. Her and her husband ended up in a little town in the middle of nowhere and she went to the hairdressers. She sat down and the hairdresser said "Hello Elaine, fancy seeing you here."
    Turned out they'd gone to school together.
  • aoife44aoife44 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin went to live in Canada and decided to see a bit of the country. Her and her husband ended up in a little town in the middle of nowhere and she went to the hairdressers. She sat down and the hairdresser said "Hello Elaine, fancy seeing you here."
    Turned out they'd gone to school together.

Walked into a bar in new York, no really lol, and gentleman beside me heard my Scottish accent and engaged in conversation. Turned out his mother was born in the place I lived but had moved to USA when she was four.
    Should this be in another thread???
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I keep being told I've been seen locally i.e 'saw you at the bus stop yesterday' (no) or 'you live in xxx Road, don't you?' (no). It happens quite regulalry. It's really starting to intrigue me now and I'd love to meet whoever this is!
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tether wrote: »
    Having come to London also from a small town up north it really is astonishing how menu times I've ran into people from work or friend of a friend in some random places all over London. When I first came here I never imagined you would run into anyone as it is so huge but it happens a lot.

We're from London and were travelling by train to Birmingham New Street a few years ago. As the train pulled in to Birmingham International and started slowing and slowing as it came to a stop, we looked out the window and two of our London neighbours were on the platform staring back!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The location of Genghis Khan's grave. It's somewhere in inner Mongolia, but the exact location remains a mystery.

After he was entombed, the slaves who built the tomb were murdered lest they give it's location away. Then the people who killed the slaves were killed. Then a fleet of horseman rode over the tomb to disturb the ground in the surrounding area. Then all of the horses and horseman were killed.

Wherever it was, they didn't want us to find it!
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The location of Genghis Khan's grave. It's somewhere in inner Mongolia, but the exact location remains a mystery.

After he was entombed, the slaves who built the tomb were murdered lest they give it's location away. Then the people who killed the slaves were killed. Then a fleet of horseman rode over the tomb to disturb the ground in the surrounding area. Then all of the horses and horseman were killed.

Wherever it was, they didn't want us to find it!

I wander which horse would have given the location away
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

I suppose it was a 'What if they happen to be in the area and it leads someone there because it remembers' Not deliberately but just coincidence
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Wasn't there some story about a foal being killed in front of its mother at the site of the tomb, so the mare would remember the location ... or am I mixing that up with something else? :confused:
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We arrived at our hotel in Ibiza and pressed the button for the lift. It came down, the doors opened and out walked a woman who grew up near me and who I hadn't seen for easily 35 years. Her very distinctive chin gave her away and I said "hello Mary" and she was flabbergasted when I told her who I was.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there some story about a foal being killed in front of its mother at the site of the tomb, so the mare would remember the location ... or am I mixing that up with something else? :confused:

Aha! I was Googling the wrong thing! :blush:

It wasn't a foal ... it was a baby camel.

"... another legend in which the grave was re-discovered 30 years after Genghis Khan's death. According to this tale, a young camel was buried with the Khan, and the camel's mother was later found weeping at the grave of its young."
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    :D:D

It could have been any one of them;

.......a couple of sugar-lumps and they’ll tell you anything.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member

My nan and dad have seen mine and actually accused me of bunking off school because they saw somebody who was my spitting image . They said it was uncanny to see me but it not be me when I pointed out I was in school and had friends and teachers who could verify it .
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member

Doppelgängers totally freak me out, it's the one thing I can think of that makes me blood run cold.
  • janceejancee Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pheww... have spent last night and all of today reading from page one !!! :o:o

So much spookiness, weirdness and tragedy. I have to say, the Taman Shud / Somerton Man case is perhaps the most mysterious and strange.

Respected academic and expert on the Taman Shud case Professor Derek Abbott has been and is continuing to discuss theories on a long-running reddit thread. Absolutely fascinating.

http://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/2f1qt0/i_am_professor_derek_abbott_a_researcher_of_the/
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

I know mine. :D We went to the same schools and have been mistaken for one another our whole lives.
    Our classes were merged once in secondary school and the teacher thought we were twins.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I know mine. :D We went to the same schools and have been mistaken for one another our whole lives.
    Our classes were merged once in secondary school and the teacher thought we were twins.

Just recently i went into the chemists and the lady at the counter disappeared and came back with a bag which she said was for me. When i told her that i hadnt yet given her my prescription she was adamant that i had been in that morning and dropped a prescription off. I was tempted to hang around and wait until whoever it was collected their prescription but decided against it
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Just recently i went into the chemists and the lady at the counter disappeared and came back with a bag which she said was for me. When i told her that i hadnt yet given her my prescription she was adamant that i had been in that morning and dropped a prescription off. I was tempted to hang around and wait until whoever it was collected their prescription but decided against it

......or maybe the woman behind the counter “should've gone to Specsavers” ;-)
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for my doppelganger...
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one that gets me: this lady, Elisa Lam, was recorded on her hotel's CCTV doing these weird motions in the elevator, possibly talking to someone offscreen, before a few days later being found dead in a locked water tank on the roof. Very, very strange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam

CCTV video
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a bit of an odd one:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49147/music-history-20-whats-frequency-kenneth
    At about 11 pm on the night of October 4, 1986, CBS anchorman Dan Rather was walking along Park Avenue in New York, on the way back to his apartment. Just as he neared the building's entrance, he was accosted by two well-dressed men. One asked, “What is the frequency, Kenneth?” Rather replied, “You must be mistaking me for someone else . . .” With that, the man knocked Rather to the ground, and as he kicked and punched him, he repeatedly asked his strange question. Rather called out for help, and a moment later, as the doorman and the building's super arrived on the scene, the assailants fled.

The incident was strange, but it got even stranger. In 1994, a North Carolina man named William Tager shot and killed an NBC technician, Campbell Montgomery, outside the sound studio of the Today Show. Tager had tried to enter the the studio with an assault rifle, and Montgomery died in an attempt to block him. Tager was arrested and reportedly told police that the television network had been monitoring him for years and beaming secret messages into his head. He apparently came to NBC looking for a way to block those transmissions.

And there's yet another strand of intrigue to the tale. In 2001, Paul Limbert Allman wrote a speculative piece about the incident for Harper's Magazine. In exploring the work of post-modern fiction writer Donald Barthelme, Allman had discovered in his stories a recurring character named Kenneth and the phrase “What's the frequency?” Both Rather and Barthelme were the same age, hailed from Houston, Texas and as young men, worked as journalists. Allman thought it was reasonable to assume that their paths might've crossed. Furthermore, in one of Barthelme's books, there's a character named Lather, a conceited editor who bears a resemblance to Rather. The unspoken question was: Did Barthelme somehow inspire Tager's attack on Rather?

Nothing on the other assailant, either.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching a series about gangsters on Netflix and one of the episodes covered the story of the Glasgow ice cream van wars, which lead to almost an entire family being burned alive in their flat via an arson attack. Not only were the wrong men convicted and jailed for many years but to this day the authorities still have no clue who is responsible for these murders. The case appears long since closed and it looks like the crime will never be solved. It's a really chilling story that's stuck with me since learning of it.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an intriguing one:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034383/What-happened-Sneha-Anne-Philip-Mystery-doctor-disappeared-9-11.html
    Her disappearance continues to be one of the biggest mysteries of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Dr Sneha Anne Philip's name will be listed among the 2,983 victims when New York's 9/11 Memorial is unveiled this weekend, but her remains were never found.

She was last seen on the evening of September 10, just after 6pm, buying lingerie, a dress, panty hose and three pairs of shoes from the Century 21 store close to the World Trade Centre.

On the morning of September 10 her husband Ron Lieberman, an emergency-room intern at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, had left their Battery Park City apartment around 11am.
    When he came home around midnight, his wife was not at the apartment.

When Mr Lieberman woke up at 6.30am on the 11th, Miss Philips still had not returned.

Mr Lieberman was reportedly not too worried because Miss Philips sometimes spent the night with her cousin or brother.

After hearing of the terror attacks, he spent the day at the hospital waiting for wounded victims.

When he returned home hours later, Miss Philip was still missing

The next day he set about putting up the posters and filed a missing person report.

He even hired a private investigator, Ken Gallant, who unearthed a grainy videotape of a woman who looked like Sneha on the security camera of the apartment lobby, recorded just before the first plane hit the North Tower.

Mr Lieberman, Mr Gallant and family members believed Miss Philip heard the first plane hit and, as a doctor, rushed to the scene to help.

Court papers cited 'marital problems' and stated she 'often stayed out all night with individuals (not known to her husband) whom she met at various bars.'

The police also alluded to problems with depression and substance abuse.

This led to suggestions that Miss Philips may not have been a terror attack victim and that she led a secret, troubled life from which she may have escaped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneha_Anne_Philip

Could almost be a film script.