Tarrant to cover for Steve Wright

Comments

• PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Noble??

Ouch! Have she and Tarrant made up yet?

I always thought Tarrant was best on Capital without a co-host, but given freedom to bounce off Howard Hughes and Russ Kane at their respective junctions. It was terrific radio.

I'll be extemely interested to see how he operates on Radio 2.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    Ouch! Have she and Tarrant made up yet?

I always thought Tarrant was best on Capital without a co-host, but given freedom to bounce off Howard Hughes and Russ Kane at their respective junctions. It was terrific radio.

I would love to hear Howard Hughes reading the news & Russ Kane doing the travel for Tarrant on radio 2 :D
  • Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    I would love to hear Howard Hughes reading the news & Russ Kane doing the travel for Tarrant on radio 2 :D

How about putting Pat Sharp on Mids and Foxy on the jukebox too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't know that, Alex. I mean, who would have thought Graham Norton would end up on Radio 2? :rolleyes:

Tarrant would be good on the Sunday Brunch slot for a few weeks of the year.
  • Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    PhilH wrote: »

I'll be very surprised if this amounts to anything more than a one-off. Good in the 80s and 90s, but his recent radio work on Smooth was very tired, forced and uninspired.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    I'll be very surprised if this amounts to anything more than a one-off. Good in the 80s and 90s, but his recent radio work on Smooth was very tired, forced and uninspired.

I agree. My comment was in response to those assuming he was going to get a female co-host for his time on R2 i.e. I don't think he should necessarily.

Let him interact with guests and listeners. He's a talented enough broadcaster to make that format work very well.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

To be fair to Tarrant I think the whole Smooth project was forced upon him. They probably promised him the glory days once again but whn it came to it I don't think the show had the resources to make it sound good. The guests were third rate compared to Jonathan Ross and his sidekick Mike Osman was just unfunny.

At least with Steve Wright's show the guests are usually pretty good and, of course, it has a big budget.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it helped that Tarrant's show was on two GMG brands, Real and Smooth (only in the Midlands and London to extend coverage) with different demographics, so you couldn't satisfy the whole audience.
  • Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    To be fair to Tarrant I think the whole Smooth project was forced upon him. They probably promised him the glory days once again but whn it came to it I don't think the show had the resources to make it sound good. The guests were third rate compared to Jonathan Ross and his sidekick Mike Osman was just unfunny.

At least with Steve Wright's show the guests are usually pretty good and, of course, it has a big budget.

The show was made by an independent production company and sponsored by Nissan. Tarrant acted as his own executive producer and I believe covered the costs of the show from his wages. I don't think Smooth did anything except provide studio facilities and broadcast the show. It was a disaster.
    Forum Member
    The show was made by an independent production company and sponsored by Nissan. Tarrant acted as his own executive producer and I believe covered the costs of the show from his wages. I don't think Smooth did anything except provide studio facilities and broadcast the show. It was a disaster.

Then I think that was the biggest mistake I reckon. Though I'm pretty suree it would have been Smooth approaching him and not the other way round.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if GMG approached CT to present just for the flagging London station, but for the wages he'd require, the only way to get the funding was to go for a national sponsorship deal?
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Tarrant would be good on the Sunday Brunch slot for a few weeks of the year.

I agree that Chris Tarrant would be excellent on Sunday mornings, though I don't think he would be right to host Sunday Brunch. Michael Ball, Richard Madeley or Fern Britten would make great hosts of the Sunday Brunch (maybe they could take it in turns to present it on a rotated basis?)

Sunday Brunch could go out from 9.00 - 11.00am in place of the done-to-death Sunday Love Songs, which belongs on commercial radio. Chris Tarrant could follow from 11.00am - 1.00pm followed by Pick of the Pops, 1.00 - 3.00pm.

Just get rid of Sunday Love Songs and Elaine Paige!
    Forum Member
    I agree that Chris Tarrant would be excellent on Sunday mornings, though I don't think he would be right to host Sunday Brunch. Michael Ball, Richard Madeley or Fern Britten would make great hosts of the Sunday Brunch (maybe they could take it in turns to present it on a rotated basis?)

Sunday Brunch could go out from 9.00 - 11.00am in place of the done-to-death Sunday Love Songs, which belongs on commercial radio. Chris Tarrant could follow from 11.00am - 1.00pm followed by Pick of the Pops, 1.00 - 3.00pm.

Just get rid of Sunday Love Songs and Elaine Paige!

You don't like those shows. Millions do. Why would you want to deny them a show they like just because you don't?
    Forum Member
    You don't like those shows. Millions do. Why would you want to deny them a show they like just because you don't?

In the same way people want to deny millions of listeners the Chris Evans breakfast show just because they dislike it.
    Forum Member
    In the same way people want to deny millions of listeners the Chris Evans breakfast show just because they dislike it.

I see. So, if they're wrong (which I suspect the RAJAR figures will prove), that makes you....?
    Forum Member
    I see. So, if they're wrong (which I suspect the RAJAR figures will prove), that makes you....?

A wonderful person!
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would expect Radio 2 are paying a fair wage to get CT to cover the big prime time afternoon show?
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I would expect Radio 2 are paying a fair wage to get CT to cover the big prime time afternoon show?

Undoubtedly - but it's money well spent as far as I am concerned.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Chris Tarrant sitting in for Steve Wright? This is excellent news! :D

For once, somebody decent sits in for Steve Wright rather than a z-list celebrity!

I thought you don't like 'dinosaurs'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you don't like 'dinosaurs'.

Dinosaurs?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps Liza Tarbuck will be the studio sidekick?

I don't "get" her on the radio, she seems condescending and a bit "up herself"
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else listening to Chris Tarrant? He's hosting the show on his own (no sidekicks).
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is all on his lonesome with no side kicks. Even running the desk on his own. If anyone is listening it's sounding good. Very safe pair of hands. He does like to talk a lot and Radio 2 is the right station for him to do that. Maybe he should have someone to bounce of whilst talking about things?
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    He is all on his lonesome with no side kicks. Even running the desk on his own. If anyone is listening it's sounding good. Very safe pair of hands. He does like to talk a lot and Radio 2 is the right station for him to do that. Maybe he should have someone to bounce of whilst talking about things?

If Chris Tarrant can manage the show on his own then why does he need a sidekick?

Who do you have in mind anyway? Liza Tarbuck?
  • papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Ouch!!!!! this is painful, crashing vocals, and the first 4 links talking about the studio engineer? ouch..

he has had plenty of time to prepare some stunning links but is just making it up badly.

Very Poor.