FarCry 3

Comments

• kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Just left a safe house when I heard growling. I jumped up on some logs and spotted a couple of dogs. I shot one after it'd ran away a bit, and now the other won't leave me alone. It's not going for me, just running along with me, and around me. It's like having my own little pet. awwww :D

Edit - it's now going a bit mental. :(
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I hear/read this a lot, but I don't get it.
    Clearly. Surely I don't have to explain that first person is inner, whilst third person it outer? There's no getting around that fact. One is you, your view looking out on the world, the other is you looking at someone else looking out on the world. There is no comparison - one is you, the other is someone else, an automaton you're manipulating, but not you.

Regards

Mark
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played Far Cry 2 after hearing people rave about it but could never get into it. Never managed to get past a few missions. Hated the way the map worked, how the world felt empty and the storyline wasn't exactly engaging. The mission which started it was rather dull. Luckily the sequel has learnt from all these mistakes.

Started playing this today and absolutely loving it so far. Not done many missions because I've been too busy exploring the world and playing around with crafting, whilst also coming across a few outposts.

The best part of this game is the complete randomness of it. Just before I got off for the night two pirates ambushed me, I had absolutely no ammo and wasn't close enough to knife them. Luckily two Cassowaries appeared and whilst I was cowering behind a rock hoping the pirates would leave me alone they were brutally pecked to death. Alligators are absolutely terrifying me as I don't ever seem to spot them before they attack me. Loving the outposts and I think the stealth system is exceptional. Enemies seem to have the right level of alertness and ensure that trying to take on outpost silently is a real challenge.

My only problem with the game is very minor... everything seems to be a little too bright! I realise that it's set in the jungle but looking at this game for more than an hour makes my eyes hurt. I've made it more bearable by playing around with the ingame settings/settings on my TV/lighting in my room and it's okay now though. It's odd because this is the first time I've ever had this problem.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Clearly. Surely I don't have to explain that first person is inner, whilst third person it outer? There's no getting around that fact. One is you, your view looking out on the world, the other is you looking at someone else looking out on the world. There is no comparison - one is you, the other is someone else, an automaton you're manipulating, but not you.

Regards

Mark

You don't have to explain, I'm perfectly aware of that point of view, I was just putting my own across, which differs slightly for the reasons previously stated..

Anyhoo, realising I was woefully underequipped to be taking on a prison breakout mission I went native last night, went out hunting and crafting, which is a lot of fun, and I'm starting to get used to the perspective too. I usually don't have the patience for sneaking about in games, but the way it works here it just feels really good to just go round picking off guys around a boundary before sinking back into the jungle each time. If I play tonight I may smear my face with mud just to add to the experience.
    Forum Member
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    I played Far Cry 2 after hearing people rave about it but could never get into it. Never managed to get past a few missions. Hated the way the map worked, how the world felt empty and the storyline wasn't exactly engaging. The mission which started it was rather dull. Luckily the sequel has learnt from all these mistakes.

Started playing this today and absolutely loving it so far. Not done many missions because I've been too busy exploring the world and playing around with crafting, whilst also coming across a few outposts.

The best part of this game is the complete randomness of it. Just before I got off for the night two pirates ambushed me, I had absolutely no ammo and wasn't close enough to knife them. Luckily two Cassowaries appeared and whilst I was cowering behind a rock hoping the pirates would leave me alone they were brutally pecked to death. Alligators are absolutely terrifying me as I don't ever seem to spot them before they attack me. Loving the outposts and I think the stealth system is exceptional. Enemies seem to have the right level of alertness and ensure that trying to take on outpost silently is a real challenge.

My only problem with the game is very minor... everything seems to be a little too bright! I realise that it's set in the jungle but looking at this game for more than an hour makes my eyes hurt. I've made it more bearable by playing around with the ingame settings/settings on my TV/lighting in my room and it's okay now though. It's odd because this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

Agree with everything you've put. I've had this game a while now and haven't got off the first island, or taken out all it's outposts. The stealth element is a big hit with me. Better weapons than FC2 for a start, and finally got used to the bow after taking off the marksman site and putting on the other one (forgot it's name lol).

Far Cry 2 I used to fast track on the bus, or drive everywhere. I rarely drive on FC3, it's just too much fun running to where I need to be.

I agree with others, that FC2's spawning of enemies was ott, and that FC3 isn't enough. My thoughts on this, is that they could have done it where every so often a group of pirates come from the sea (so enter from off the map) and make their way to take over an outpost (up to 3 groups doing this at a time to take over an outpost). That way you could come across them on either land or sea, or when they've finally taken over the outpost, if they succeed that is.

Annoying things for me are: jumping down an incline taking off huge chunks of health, as if he's nearly broken his leg. Not being able to climb up something quite low down at times.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't encountered any alligators as yet but the Komodo dragons are a right royal pain! :D
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Haven't encountered any alligators as yet but the Komodo dragons are a right royal pain! :D

Plenty of crocs at X:665.2, Y:762.8, I've just found out.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing I found the first time I went in the water was a bloody croc!
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried the co-op out last night and found the connection really poor, playing a private game with a friend the first thing we noticed was the sound quality of the voice chat was horrible to the point of been worthless and the game just kept loosing host connection whoever was hosting. :mad: :mad:

I have a 60mb connection and he is on a 30mb connection, both Virgin and we normally have great connections to each other on other games.

It was a really bad first impression. Anyone else tried the co-op on PS3? I am hoping this was just a bad night for the game / server / our internet connection / whatever and we can actually get to play it properly at some point.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I tried the co-op out last night and found the connection really poor, playing a private game with a friend the first thing we noticed was the sound quality of the voice chat was horrible to the point of been worthless and the game just kept loosing host connection whoever was hosting. :mad: :mad:

I have a 60mb connection and he is on a 30mb connection, both Virgin and we normally have great connections to each other on other games.

It was a really bad first impression. Anyone else tried the co-op on PS3? I am hoping this was just a bad night for the game / server / our internet connection / whatever and we can actually get to play it properly at some point.

Voice is broken on ps3 yep. Totally useless and I doubt they will bother to fix it given the low numbers playing online. Other than that I've had no problems with playing co-op online. Stays connected fine. Really nice co-op too. Lots of fun. Just a shame about the voice chat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Systematically working my way through the island clearing outposts and radio towers, with the occasional side mission thrown in just for the hell of it.

Very impressed with this game, a lot of what you do is very samey but it doesn't seem to matter, how does that work?

Current weapons M700 sniper with sight and silenced, Shotgun, AK47, Rocket launcher. Haven't unlocked any signature weapons yet.

Quick question, what happens if you kill a guy who runs 1 of the race challenges? I haven't done it, to scared of the consequences! :D

Are there any easter eggs in this game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why the camera viewfinder sometimes turns yellow? When i try taking a photo when it's yellow it makes a different noise, too...
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

I haven't tried any co op or multiplayers but the last two days it keeps struggling to sign into thw far cry servers and I get an error message whilst playing the game to say it can't connect. I wonder if they've had trouble with the servers?

I did the destroying drug fields mission last night. That was fun! Now I'm trying to blow up the boat. Struggling a bit though.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the camps with the heavily armoured guys.. they're so difficult to kill without making a lot of noise. I like sneaking around and clearing a camp without even needing to take out the alarm but those armoured guys are just impossible to kill with a sniper rifle. They take a lot of grinades too.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the camps with the heavily armoured guys.. they're so difficult to kill without making a lot of noise. I like sneaking around and clearing a camp without even needing to take out the alarm but those armoured guys are just impossible to kill with a sniper rifle. They take a lot of grinades too.

With the right sniper you can get a one shot killed with a headshot, I have the rifle but can't remember what its called, makes light work of the heavy's.

Not played this for over a week now, missing it quite badly.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can get a tatau that makes killing them easier :)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Z93 sniper rfile (silenced with double zoom attachments). Does almost twice the damage of the M-700 and SVD. Head shot kill first time on those pesky supersoldiers and one shot kill anyone else almost anywhere on the body. Has a huge range.
    You get it after activating 4 towers on the second island.(assuming you've activated all the towers on the first island)
    Also you can use a skill point to get a perk that will kill them with a sneak takedown later on in the game.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I need to buy a sniper rifle then, as have been running around with assault weapon,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I think I need to buy a sniper rifle then, as have been running around with assault weapon,

You get a freebie sniper rifle after the second or third radio tower on the first island... I run around with that, a shotgun, LMG and silenced pistol :D

Still, no-one knows about the yellow camera viewfinder? Very little on the 'net, either... Ridiculous that it's not in the manual about it...
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    A silenced sniper rifle makes taking over the outposts so easy:D

I love this game!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »

Still, no-one knows about the yellow camera viewfinder? Very little on the 'net, either... Ridiculous that it's not in the manual about it...

Yeah, why does it turn yellow?? :confused:
    Forum Member

When I didn't have a decent sniper rifle, I left the armoured guys til last, then took them out with mines. Still got away with being undiscovered doing it like that as long as I stayed hidden.

Can't say I've noticed a yellow view finder with the camera. Will look out for it lol.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voice is broken on ps3 yep. Totally useless and I doubt they will bother to fix it given the low numbers playing online. Other than that I've had no problems with playing co-op online. Stays connected fine. Really nice co-op too. Lots of fun. Just a shame about the voice chat.

Thanks, further investigation lead to the problem been the Virgin Superhub, reset and updated and have just played for 50minutes with no disconnections so hopefully thats the problem ironed out.

Real shame about the voice chat though :(
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got 30 relics and...I got an "untouchable" syringe recipe. Makes you invunerable for 20 seconds.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The back of the head is exposed and a well placed shot with a silenced sniper will take them out silently... no problem.