Random Question....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
Approx 4 weeks ago, i found a lump in my armpit - which I believe to be either a cyst or an infected hair follicle.

It was inflamed and very painful - I was really stupid tho and decided to squeeze it - a lot of pus came.

Now I squeezed it every day for a week 1/2 - until all the pus was out and it started bleeding.

However, on the last day I did this - I actually felt it pop properly. This is when I realised I shouldn't have kept playing with it.

Now I managed to ignore it until Monday gone.

But I noticed that there is still a slight bump under my skin - it is getting getting smaller daily, but the wire on my bra pushes on it a bit when I am sitting down at work.

But I was wondering if anyone has any tips about how to reduce swelling etc - or do I just wait it out?

I am a bit of a worrier (as when every I find something different - I always jump to the worse conclusion - as I have an intense fear of death/illness etc) and was torn between going to the doctors - but think they will think I'm a bit crazy!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It does sound like a boil. I get them occasionally in my armpit too. I just try to keep the area clean and try not to mess with it (easier said than done lol) It should clear up in a week or two but if it lasts much longer you might need antibiotics to get rid of it.

Its nothing to worry about though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Silly_tree wrote: »
    It does sound like a boil. I get them occasionally in my armpit too. I just try to keep the area clean and try not to mess with it (easier said than done lol) It should clear up in a week or two but if it lasts much longer you might need antibiotics to get rid of it.

Its nothing to worry about though.

Lol - it's like I'm drawn to it - and have to keep checking to see if it is smaller lol!!

Which then makes it a bit painful and more swollen - I'm not really helping myself am I lol!!

I have some magnesium sulphate (i think that's what is called - to help boils and reduce swell) - I think I will use this of a night - and hopefully it will be gone soon!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do go to the docs, just to be sure and you may need antibiotics, but I have one of these that tends to swell if I have a cold coming on. I have asked for it to be lanced but my bastard local NHS authority won't do it. I've had it ultrasounded too as my sis had breast cancer so I never take a chance with that stuff. You may have to live with the fecker though, I've had mine for a good 15 years now.
    Forum Member
    Do go to the docs, just to be sure and you may need antibiotics, but I have one of these that tends to swell if I have a cold coming on. I have asked for it to be lanced but my bastard local NHS authority won't do it. I've had it ultrasounded too as my sis had breast cancer so I never take a chance with that stuff. You may have to live with the fecker though, I've had mine for a good 15 years now.

I think I only noticed it because it was painful...so I could have had it for a while.

I think I will give it a week - as it is going down / nowhere near as swollen.

But if it is still there I will go see the docs - I am hoping that I got all of the infection out - but you never know!!

I always get terrified of breast cancer!! Had it not been infected etc - I would have thought that straight away.

I even found some sort of test for a cyst online - if you pinch it and it wiggles it is a cyst!!

I get really paranoid!!

I know what you mean about the NHS - I have a load of skin tags under both arms, which I can't have removed under the NHS anymore - as it is for 'cosmetic' reasons!! They depress the hell out of me!!
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised how long ago it was when I first posted about this.

So over fours weeks after my initial post I still have this lump under my armpit.

I eventually went to the doctors on the 15th November. The lump went through fazes of getting smaller and then bigger - and I admit that I really started to panic over it.

Even though it was clearly a boil or a cyst.

I did think it was an ingrown hair as there is a slight dip / hole where it popped it.

When I went to the doctors she had a feel of it - confirmed that it had no characteristics of anything cancerous.

I was given antibiotics as she thinks that it is an infected sweat gland. I was told that the cyst itself might not go away - as they form ballons under the skin - which can be surgically removed, but if not causing discomfort etc then it can just be left.

Has this happened to anyone before?

I am starting to think I am loosing my mind tho.

At the weekend I had a major panic over it again - it is no longer red and sore but the lump is still there - although definately not as big.
    Does anyone ever find that even though something doesn't seem like anything to horrendous to begin with and then even after going to see a doctor - that your mind is still not at rest?

I keep thinking :

The lump is kind of grape shaped (best way to describe it!!)
    How do I tell if it moves or if it is fixed?
    How can the doctor tell by feeling it if it is cancer or not!!

I think it is all down to my stress / anxiety issues - which it may finally be time to do something about :(

I'm kind of hoping im not the only one that thinks about this. But sometimes find that posting on here, helps me vent a little but and get things of my chest!!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar lump removed a few years ago. It's done in a few minutes with a local anaesthetic and a few stitches. They sent the lump away for tests to be on the safe side but it was harmless. Just a mass of cells which had grown in the wrong place.

Being a typical bloke I ignored mine for months before going to the doctor but the sooner you get it sorted the sooner you can stop worrying about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    film_fan wrote: »
    I hadn't realised how long ago it was when I first posted about this.

So over fours weeks after my initial post I still have this lump under my armpit.

I eventually went to the doctors on the 15th November. The lump went through fazes of getting smaller and then bigger - and I admit that I really started to panic over it.

Even though it was clearly a boil or a cyst.

I did think it was an ingrown hair as there is a slight dip / hole where it popped it.

When I went to the doctors she had a feel of it - confirmed that it had no characteristics of anything cancerous.

I was given antibiotics as she thinks that it is an infected sweat gland. I was told that the cyst itself might not go away - as they form ballons under the skin - which can be surgically removed, but if not causing discomfort etc then it can just be left.

Has this happened to anyone before?

I am starting to think I am loosing my mind tho.

At the weekend I had a major panic over it again - it is no longer red and sore but the lump is still there - although definately not as big.
    Does anyone ever find that even though something doesn't seem like anything to horrendous to begin with and then even after going to see a doctor - that your mind is still not at rest?

I keep thinking :

The lump is kind of grape shaped (best way to describe it!!)
    How do I tell if it moves or if it is fixed?
    How can the doctor tell by feeling it if it is cancer or not!!

I think it is all down to my stress / anxiety issues - which it may finally be time to do something about :(

I'm kind of hoping im not the only one that thinks about this. But sometimes find that posting on here, helps me vent a little but and get things of my chest!!

I had a similar lump under the skin at the base of my scrotum. (embarrassing, I know:o). I think the doctor called it a sebaceous cyst. It became enflamed occasionally and then subsided. Doctor said it would always be there, but wasn't worth getting it cut out. I went away feeling worse as I didn't like the idea of it being there forever. Eventually it just disappeared which was surprising and contrary to what the doctor said. Yours will probably disappear in time, especially as its in a place which doesn't get much friction.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    I hada cyst on the back of my neck just at the hairline. I went to the doctors and he removed it himself (a different session) as he was able to do this minor sugary. I've also had a horrible access on my knee which eventually popped. The whole lot came out and left a gaping hole in my leg (sorry for grossness). Sometime these cysts are actually multiple sacs together so popping it will not necessarily get rid of the whole thing.