'British' teenagers apparently see Islamic State scum as "pop idols"

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
Just wtf? :confused:
Hundreds of British teenagers are in danger of being radicalised by Islamic State (Isis) because they see the terrorists as “pop idols”, the country’s leading Muslim prosecutor has said.

Nazir Afzal believes that recent departures to Syria show that “many more children” are at risk of what he terms “jihadimania” than was previously thought.

“The boys want to be like them and the girls want to be with them,” he said. “That’s what they used to say about the Beatles and more recently One Direction and Justin Bieber. The propaganda the terrorists put out is akin to marketing, and too many of our teenagers are falling for the image.

“They see their own lives as poor by comparison, and don’t realise they are being used. The extremists treat them in a similar way to sexual groomers – they manipulate them, distance them from their friends and families, and then take them.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/05/senior-muslim-lawyer-says-british-teenagers-see-isis-as-pop-idols

I'm no fan of Bieber but how on earth can you compare him to people who blatantly flaunt their brutality by murdering people and videoing it and destroying cultural artifacts (and videoing it).

It says nothing about Islamic State's 'grooming' techniques (and how I hate how that word, usually reserved for people who are sexually abused, has been appropriated to try and excuse the creatures who run off to fight for Islamic State). It does however say everything about the way these kids have been brought up.

In other news, a 14-year-old boy from Blackburn has been arrested for alleged terrorist offences:
Two teenagers from northern England have been arrested on suspicion of preparing for acts of terrorism, British police said on Sunday.

A 14-year-old boy from Blackburn and a 16-year-old girl from Manchester were arrested on Thursday and Friday respectively as part of an ongoing investigation and have both been bailed until May 28, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

The boy was arrested on "suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism" following the examination of several electronic devices, police said, while the girl was arrested "on suspicion of engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism".

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/05/uk-britain-security-idUKKBN0MW0I920150405

:confused:

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    teenagers need to rebel, when you pull back from the object you can see the behaviour but there`s generally a "heroic" role model.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    teenagers need to rebel, when you pull back from the object you can see the behaviour but there`s generally a "heroic" role model.

What's 'heroic' about murdering hostages?
    Forum Member
    What's 'heroic' about murdering hostages?

i put heroic in quotes for a reason.

it`s a revolution and right to someone who believes in it.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally confused and amazed. How do these kids find a website that alls them to be radicalised? Is there such a site? Or does it start innocuously with things like Facebook?

Is there a 'type' of teen that this appeals to? I mean all teenagers are stroppy little sods, we all know that, but this is going to the extreme, in every sense of the word. I can't believe it goes unnoticed by their immediate family.

If we could identify the 'type' of teenager, and monitored their use of the internet, surely that would lessen the risk?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Why do they believe it's 'right' (despite the endless media coverage of Islamic State atrocities)?
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there some confusion over their nationality?
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a twisted revolution, a person with rational thoughts and in their right mind, would never consider it.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why I said previously, you have to try to see it from the teenager's point of view, and not your own.

In the other thread, there is a link with a second link, to a jihadi woman who recruits with tales of her 'perfect husband', jihadi playboy, '5 star' existence and photo of white BMW. I'm thinking many recruits are misfits of various kinds, regardless of their school grades.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »

Edit - double post due to crap connection.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »

No - but there is plenty about their sanity.

What a load of apologist cobblers - so the innocent ickle darlings are being 'groomed' to see mass murderers as 'pop idols' - that is the latest excuse for the appeasement brigade to latch on to.

Any normal teenage would not see some psychopath on film slowly beheading someone with a small knife as someone to emulate.

Will this nonsense ever end?

Go to join ISIS and you should never be able to come back here.

Simple.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let them go so their pitiful heads can be turned into pink mist by a sniper's bullet.
    Forum Member
    Why do they believe it's 'right' (despite the endless media coverage of Islamic State atrocities)?

it`s not despite, it`ll will be a big boost to a loose kid looking for a cause.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    It is a twisted revolution, a person with rational thoughts and in their right mind, would never consider it.

The problem is these children have already been indoctrinated to think irrationally.
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »

teenagers aren`t fully cooked though are they.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I'm totally confused and amazed. How do these kids find a website that alls them to be radicalised? Is there such a site? Or does it start innocuously with things like Facebook?

Is there a 'type' of teen that this appeals to? I mean all teenagers are stroppy little sods, we all know that, but this is going to the extreme, in every sense of the word. I can't believe it goes unnoticed by their immediate family.

If we could identify the 'type' of teenager, and monitored their use of the internet, surely that would lessen the risk?

Upbringing in a strict Isalmic household predisposes them to jihad. It's that simple.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the vast majority of "British teenagers" have that view at all.
    Forum Member
    i think it`s more about why they`re attracted than numbers.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You expect me to believe this?

Rubbish.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a load of apologist cobblers - so the innocent ickle darlings are being 'groomed' to see mass murderers as 'pop idols' - that is the latest excuse for the appeasement brigade to latch on to.

Any normal teenage would not see some psychopath on film slowly beheading someone with a small knife as someone to emulate.

Will this nonsense ever end?

Go to join ISIS and you should never be able to come back here.

Simple.

That's exactly what it is.
    Trying to equate murderous religious zealotry with some sort of teenage crush is right up there with ISIS aren't real Muslims.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who but someone brought up on the harsher bits of the Koran would confuse Justin Bieber with Jihadi John?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its the same principle as the youth of the Beatles era having an uncomfortable admiration of Hitler, as a rebelling against their parents' generations and morality.
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...... kids brought up brainwashed by religion end up willing to fight for it (after a little more twisted brainwashing). Who'd have thought?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not an excuse or appeasement, it's an explanation. I have suggested something along these lines myself. Teenagers often go through a phase where they are attracted to outlaws and outcasts. There is no reason to suppose that most of them have been attracted by the beheading videos. There are plenty of videos online presenting them as maverick warriors fighting the establishment.

It's not morally attractive, but teenagers running away to join bands of pirates/ highwaymen/ bandits is a story as old as recorded history. No doubt those who are not psychopaths quickly learn their mistake.
    academia wrote: »
    Upbringing in a strict Isalmic household predisposes them to jihad. It's that simple.
    On the contrary, a disproportionate number of those arrested for involvement in terrorism seem to be converts. Which is along the same lines: those predisposed towards revenge and violent and anti-social behaviour find that they can join the biggest, baddest, most feared gang in town.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    That's why I said previously, you have to try to see it from the teenager's point of view, and not your own.

In the other thread, there is a link with a second link, to a jihadi woman who recruits with tales of her 'perfect husband', jihadi playboy, '5 star' existence and photo of white BMW. I'm thinking many recruits are misfits of various kinds, regardless of their school grades.

:confused: so . . . according to you these kids are running off to join IS to live a "5 star existence with BMWs and perfect husbands " etc. ?

Forum Member
    Its the same principle as the youth of the Beatles era having an uncomfortable admiration of Hitler, as a rebelling against their parents' generations and morality.

i don`t know a massive amount about war [ok zero] but the spanish civil war attracted rebellious types didn`t it?