Options

Moving sideways in a job

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Politics and Journalism seem to be rife for this.

People with little or no previous knowledge of a subject being made responsible for the department.
Obviously politics is a bit more important than which reporter is covering a story. You have to wonder why they are chosen for their positions?

I'm sure it happens in many jobs.

What would you do? Would you refuse or demand futher training or pay rise before moving?

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and that's why it isn't the minister that comes up with the ideas then
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would grab everything with my crab's claws as tightly as I could and run with it. Sideways before the tide comes in.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I would grab everything with my crab's claws as tightly as I could and run with it. Sideways before the tide comes in.

Like THIS? :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    and that's why it isn't the minister that comes up with the ideas then
    Well if the minister is just signing things off or being a spokesperson then why bother moving them?

Why are they going to be any better at Heath than Education? (same with Journalists).
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well if the minister is just signing things off or being a spokesperson then why bother moving them?

Why are they going to be any better at Heath than Education? (same with Journalists).
    It happens at the top of all sectors, people move sideways to the head of one company to the head of another, with seemingly no relation in what the company does.

Politicians move straight over to heads of charities, heads of companies, head of commissions, oversight committees etc...

also the if you have been the head of one company, it seems you can easily move in to the top of a totally different sector and no one bats an eyelid.

Old boys network at its best.