Mapp & Lucia, BBC1, 29.12.14

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Oh fantastic - these two foghorns are going to put a spanner in the works for Lucia!
    Forum Member
    I hope the tables are turned on Lucia before long, she's really malicious.
    Forum Member
    Ha! Busted.
  • peter_charlie20peter_charlie20 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    This is truly dreadful. Steve Pemberton has butchered E F Benson's wonderful books, shuffling characters like the guru and Georgie's sisters from one book to another without any justification at all. And now he seeks to "improve" on Benson by inventing events that didn't happen. This nonsense about Lucia copying her picture from a book is utter rubbish that never happened in any of the books and achieves absolutely nothing. This is a wonderful opportunity that has been squandered. Such a shame.
    Forum Member
    She's always one step ahead :(
    Forum Member
    This is truly dreadful. Steve Pemberton has butchered E F Benson's wonderful books, shuffling characters like the guru and Georgie's sisters from one book to another without any justification at all. And now he seeks to "improve" on Benson by inventing events that didn't happen. This nonsense about Lucia copying her picture from a book is utter rubbish that never happened in any of the books and achieves absolutely nothing. This is a wonderful opportunity that has been squandered. Such a shame.

Don't care. Never read the books!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Another great episode, I'm really enjoying this even if going off the ratings not many are. I'm Team Lucia all the way of course, but Miranda Richardson is absolutely terrific as Mapp.
    Forum Member
    Loved that, the one-upmanship is compelling to watch somehow!

Looks like Frances Barber is in the last one - should be good.
    Forum Member
    Another great episode, I'm really enjoying this even if going off the ratings not many are. I'm Team Lucia all the way of course, but Miranda Richardson is absolutely terrific as Mapp.

Whose side are we meant to be on I wonder?
    I prefer Mapp because while she is domineering she doesn't do things out of spite; she just likes to show off.
    Lucia is scheming and vindictive.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving this.

The whole cast is magnificent but Miranda Richardson as Miss Mapp is quite quite wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody wonderful stuff..... more please Mr Pemberton ☺
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have enjoyed both shows so far, especially Miranda Richardson who has created an excellent Mapp. However I found each episode too long and shapeless - the books are essentially a series of stories without a lot of pacing or narrative arch, but what just about works in a book is not right for an hour of TV. I put this down to Steve Pemberton's adaptation, which is religiously true to the spirit of the books but perhaps shouldn't be.

Anna Chancellor looks wonderful and contrasts nicely with Miranda Richardson, but to my mind Geraldine McEwan got more of Lucia's shallowness and low cunning. Neither adaptation really matches the books for the portrayal of small-minded snobbery and adults behaving like naughty children. For anyone who's not read the books and find these characters despicable - yes, they're meant to be

I wanted Evie Bartlett to squeak more, and I wanted Quaint Irene to be bigger and butcher. But Richardson is superb, with her hyena smile.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pale imitation of the original, if anything so colourful can be pale. I could only watch for 15 minutes. The BBC just can't cast these days, and they just can't resist fixing things that aren't broke!
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get the love for Miranda Richardson's Mapp. She seems out of kilter with the rest of the acting. So much gurning and those teeth....

Anna Chancellor is a very different interpretation of Lucia compared with other versions but, for me, it works with the spirit and the detail of the originals.

Have no idea why the Guru plot had to be moved from book 1 (set in Riseholme) to book 4 - there is more than enough material in that book to justify three episodes.

Perhaps I love the books too much to enjoy this 'version'
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't seen the original or read the books so had no expectations and nothing to compare this to....and I love it! Best bit of telly this Christmas. Deliciously acerbic and camp.

Having started out wanting Mapp taken down a peg or two, I'm now in the curious position of feeling somewhat sympathetic towards the character. I'd like to see her get one over on Lucia.

Aren't the costumes glorious? Especially loving all the hats - wish they'd make a comeback! Sumptuous locations too.

Can't wait for the final helping....it's great that we haven't had to wait a week for each one.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are so right, it has none of the charm of the original, they all seem to be trying too hard, with minimal results. :(

This show is pretentious, self indulgent crap. They're not trying hard enough.

I get the feeling this show is just for them, the performers. Sick of seeing the same old faces. And not Mark Gaitiss again. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

It's a wonder David Walliams wasn't in it, or Stephen Fry for that matter.:o
  • Charlton HouseCharlton House Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I was so frustrated with this episode. As a previous poster has said: the Guru , Hermy, Ursy and Tiptree tale all happened while Lucia and Georgie lived in Riseholme.
    Daisy Quantock was the character who was obsessed with health fads, not Diva.

I never understand why they have to muck about when books are adapted for the screen. There is so much in the Tilling books, perhaps it would have been an idea to concentrate 3 episodes to each book and do it properly, without stealing stories from the earlier 'unrelated' book.

I was looking forward to this adaptation. I was pleased to see the inclusion of Evie, missing from the original series, although as has been said, she doesn't squeak! But Quint Irene and Diva have barely featured. There's no real sense of Irene's crush on Lucia, nor of Mapp and Diva's on-off friendship.

Although I found Geraldine McEwan's interpretation of Lucia too overacted, Anna Chancellor has been too understated with no real feeling of the inner core of push she has in getting her own way.

As has been said, Miranda Richardson has borrowed from Prunella Scales, but that's no bad thing: Prunella's interpretation was pretty spot on. Mark Gatiss is not really Major material; perhaps he and Steve Pemberton should have swapped roles:blush:

It does feel rather rushed, which is a shame. Although I will probably buy the DVD, it has, I feel been an opportunity wasted.
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the original or read the books so had no expectations and nothing to compare this to....and I love it! Best bit of telly this Christmas. Deliciously acerbic and camp.

Having started out wanting Mapp taken down a peg or two, I'm now in the curious position of feeling somewhat sympathetic towards the character. I'd like to see her get one over on Lucia.

Aren't the costumes glorious? Especially loving all the hats - wish they'd make a comeback! Sumptuous locations too.

Can't wait for the final helping....it's great that we haven't had to wait a week for each one.

Agree with everyhing you've said :)
    The scenes involving Mapp and Lucia are an absolute delight with the latter calmly yet menacingly patroninsing and poor Mapp getting more and more frantic!

I really hope Mapp gets one over on her in the end!
    The costumes and location etc are delicious too - and vibrant somehow.

This has been one of the triumphs of Christmas TV for me - 1st rate stuff.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could say exactly the same about the Jeeves and Wooster series with Fry & Laurie. Stephen Fry was @ 30 years too young to play Jeeves, for a start, and I could write a novella on what was "wrong" with every episode.

However I had, and still have as I purchased the DVD boxset, no problem in enjoying Jeeves and Wooster for what they were and for me Mapp & Lucia is the same.

The reality is the majority watching won't have read the books and probably even fewer, like me, will have seen the 'original' of 30+ years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    The scenes involving Mapp and Lucia are an absolute delight with the latter calmly yet menacingly patroninsing and poor Mapp getting more and more frantic!

This has been one of the triumphs of Christmas TV for me - 1st rate stuff.[/

Spot on. It's wonderful stuff.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Lucia gets some fab outfits. I loved those wide-legged trousers with the white, red and black top.

All the outside scenes are shot in a very small part of Rye town centre: the street where the town hall is, Church Square and Mermaid Street, plus a bit around the Landgate and Ypres tower (the Ypres Tower pub is the Traders' Arms in the show). Mapp's house (the one she's rented to Lucia) is actually Lamb House, now owned by the National Trust and once home to Henry James.

It is every bit as lovely in real life and well worth a visit.
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Lucia gets some fab outfits. I loved those wide-legged trousers with the white, red and black top.

All the outside scenes are shot in a very small part of Rye town centre: the street where the town hall is, Church Square and Mermaid Street, plus a bit around the Landgate and Ypres tower (the Ypres Tower pub is the Traders' Arms in the show). Mapp's house (the one she's rented to Lucia) is actually Lamb House, now owned by the National Trust and once home to Henry James.

It is every bit as lovely in real life and well worth a visit.

Was it you that informed us it was Rye before? As you say, looks like it's well worth a visit. I bet it's a tourist magnet, like Lacock in Wiltshire.
  • molocottagemolocottage Posts: 189
    Forum Member

This has been one of the triumphs of Christmas TV for me - 1st rate stuff.[/

Spot on. It's wonderful stuff.

Hear! Hear!
  • baisbaisbaisbais Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore the books completely, but have never watched the original series (although have had it on DVD for about eight years... must get onto it!)

I'm enjoying Anna C and Miranda R a LOT. But I wish they'd pronounced Quaint Irene's name properly.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it you that informed us it was Rye before? As you say, looks like it's well worth a visit. I bet it's a tourist magnet, like Lacock in Wiltshire.

It might have been.

I wouldn't describe it as a tourist magnet, exactly, but it's becoming a bit of a haven for red-trouser-wearing braying DFLs, so I daresay it won't be long.

Three years ago it was a traditional Sussex market town, small, pretty and with loads of character, lots of proper pubs, useful shops and junk shops. The junk shops have trebled their prices, the pubs are mostly gastrified and most don't allow dogs in any more and house prices have risen more than the average for the county.

It's now got an overpriced "cookware" shop, a very poncy deli, a shop that sells nothing but hats and a retro sweetshop, so I give it about 2 years before it becomes intolerably trendy and full of hipsters, Boden-clad yummy mummies, monstrous off-road buggies and kids with pretentious names.

I'd get there quick if I were you.

Lacock's a bit different imo, a proper estate village preserved by the National Trust. Rye is kind of like Whitstable, but not on the coast.