The Last Leg

Comments

• vickkijvickkij Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    It felt uncomfortable when she refused to answer questions or get involved. She just looked hacked off.

I was just about to say the same thing! Why go onto a topical show if you do not want to contribute any of your own opinions?! She looked suprised at some of the questions, but do they not rehearse it even a little bit or at least discuss the topics with guests so they know what they will be talking about?

I think the shoe relies on the guest, my least fav episodes have been with Russell Crowe and Joanna Lumley as they were too serious and didn't seem to get into and Amy P who just seemed bemused and peed off!
  • marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Last Leg, not Question Time.

And as I said in my original post, I appreciate that they have to be a bit deferential to a guest. But if the guest is involved in a controversial subject, I don't see why they shouldn't be questioned on it.

Before the election, they could have let Nick Clegg just give his little speech without any comeback, but they didn't, and I don't see why Joanna Lumley should not be questioned in a bit more depth, once the subject of the bridge had been raised.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vickkij wrote: »
    I was just about to say the same thing! Why go onto a topical show if you do not want to contribute any of your own opinions?! She looked suprised at some of the questions, but do they not rehearse it even a little bit or at least discuss the topics with guests so they know what they will be talking about?
    I didn't know who she was, but thought she did OK. There were questions about UK politics where she didn't know enough to have an opinion. There was also the question about US gun control, which she understandably didn't want to touch. I thought her deflection on that was humorous enough.

The weirdest part was when she claimed the escaped Mexican drug lord was her boyfriend. That turned out to be a set-up for the finale. I don't know whether it was her idea or the show's. I'm not keen on the finales myself, and all the less so if it means we have to suffer unfunny dad-dancing videos to set them up.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Amy Poehler a lot so this show was a funs up for me (if you're unfamilar with there, aside from Parks & Rec. she was a in a very funny rom-com spoof with Paul Rudd recently called They Came Together).

I do think she dodged some questions but as Johnny foreigner on English soil with warez to sell I imagine her agent advised neutrality wherever possible.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I didn't know who she was, but thought she did OK. There were questions about UK politics where she didn't know enough to have an opinion. There was also the question about US gun control, which she understandably didn't want to touch. I thought her deflection on that was humorous enough.

The weirdest part was when she claimed the escaped Mexican drug lord was her boyfriend. That turned out to be a set-up for the finale. I don't know whether it was her idea or the show's. I'm not keen on the finales myself, and all the less so if it means we have to suffer unfunny dad-dancing videos to set them up.
    From what i've seen and heard of her she is now probably the best known US female comic along with Tina Fey and they do push boundaries so I was strange that she was so reserved.

Maybe it was because she was promoting a kids film and was told not to be controversial.

They should get Amy Schumer on.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy P was awful. I'm not a fan of Parks & Recreation, don't get it and I don't understand why she is so highly rated. They reckon she's one of the most influential people in entertainment. How? Adam kept plugging her film, more times than he does for other guests, as if he was trying to placate her. She didn't seem that fussed to promote it anyway. Why don't agents check what a show is about before agreeing a booking? It felt uncomfortable when she refused to answer questions or get involved. She just looked hacked off.

She was interviewed on Radio 2 on Friday morning and sounded like a different person. On The Last Leg she was trying too hard to be edgy.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Not a clue who she is or what she does but agree a pointless guest.

I had heard of Parks & Recreation but not her. Either way I thought she was pretty funny.
  • Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen p&r in the past but didn't recognise her.
    shows what I thought of the show.

She wasn't that good and can someone please tell Americans to so passing that American accent of as being from some part of the uk. No-One in the uk sounds like that only Americans so therfore an American not British accent
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy P was awful. I'm not a fan of Parks & Recreation, don't get it and I don't understand why she is so highly rated. They reckon she's one of the most influential people in entertainment. How? Adam kept plugging her film, more times than he does for other guests, as if he was trying to placate her. She didn't seem that fussed to promote it anyway. Why don't agents check what a show is about before agreeing a booking? It felt uncomfortable when she refused to answer questions or get involved. She just looked hacked off.

She didn't have to plug it, I'm sure her agent made TLL agree to mention it a set number of times.

She refused to say anything even slightly controversial about the USA, obviously more worried about clips being shown back home than making a good contribution here.
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (yeah, I knw that there's an existing thread but until this forum sorts out search I'll be b**gered if I can find it!)

Tonight's episode on top form - comparing Jermy Hunt's NHS proposals to 50 Shades of Grey sublime and as for the Souzaphone prank,,, just brilliant.

Jeremy Hunt is, in the words of Bill Turnbull, a c**t.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Manford trying to protest against an advert about having affairs when he was sack for his text chats with girls that weren't his wife.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i love this show it is so funny
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly their best programme of the series so far.
  • odie30odie30 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    # is it ok to think adam hills is hot!
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    odie30 wrote: »

Perfectly fine - Why wouldn't it be?

Personally I wouldn't throw Alex Brooker out of bed as I like someone with a bit of meat on them, but each to their own.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly odd of them to claim the royal family were mocking the nazis in that picture.

I think even the most fervent royalist acknowledges there were nazi sympathisers in that family.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Slightly odd of them to claim the royal family were mocking the nazis in that picture.
    It's a valid interpretation. No way be to be sure now. It's certainly worth noting that not everyone doing a Nazi salute is a Nazi sympathiser.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Manford trying to protest against an advert about having affairs when he was sack for his text chats with girls that weren't his wife.

Ironic wasn't it.

He was the worse part of the show.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    odie30 wrote: »

Join the queue :cool:

Actually they all have a bit of that something about them ....:blush:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching on +1. tubular bellend must be the best segment ever, haha. 😃
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Cleese was made for the Last Leg. Haven't laughed so much in ages.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    John Cleese was made for the Last Leg. Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Yep, he is great. cute cat too. :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent Last Leg tonight. Adam Hills was on top form. Very biting, very cutting and near the knuckle. Great show. Loved the topics up for discussion tonight, makes you think about what a f*cked up world we live in.

John Cleese was also good value for money. That cat was freaky looking! :D
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Good episode, not as good as last week but still funnier than Would I Lie To You and 8/10 Cats Does Countdown this evening, I particularly liked the "following someone we hate with a brass instrument" section and the stuff with the cat was funny, but I wasn't as massive fan of John Cleese this evening. Better than Jason Manford last week, but not much better, and not much funnier. There are plenty of good comedians out there they could book- why don't they get Jack Whiteall or Hugh Dennis on?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best episode I've see of the Last Leg in a long while. John Cleese looked like he was enjoying himself and his cat was cute.