The Next Xbox Discussion

DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When the next Xbox comes out what do you expect ?

The two main things i would like to know is will our gamertags be transported over to the new system, or will we have to start all over again ? I tell you this now, if i have to start all over again i will be very annoyed.

The other thing is will the content available on Xbox live now still be available for the new Xbox ? this stuff has been specifically made for the Xbox 360, so unless we have backwards compatibility on the next Xbox how will this work ?

There are other minor things i would like to know as well Like, What the name will be ? Will we switch to real money instead of Microsoft points ? will the servers for old Xbox 360 games live on ? this one is the one that i am interested in knowing because how would online achievements work if we could no longer go online ? i think online achievements are very flawed anyway so ditching them would be a blessing in my opinion. Maybe on the next Xbox we will be able to delete certain achievements, we probably won't but you never know.

There is one thing i don't want them to get rid of...............the Ethernet cable. Seriously, not everyone has WiFi and i have this awful feeling they will ditch the old Ethernet cable.

So what does everyone else expect from the next Xbox ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll keep your gamertag, and and points you have on your account.

Backwards compatibility is going to be a lot easier for the next Xbox than it is the next PlayStation - it is probably down to cost and if they're willing to do it.

No one knows what the name is - apparently even they don't have a final one yet.

360 games will work online for some time to come. They only get turned off after a long long time, generally by which time only scores of people are playing online compared to thousands.

In terms of release date - Infinity Ward is working on a next-gen FPS. Check out their job postings, they'll tell you as much.

All they know is Call of Duty. All COD knows is a November release date.

Guess whose year it is to release a COD? Infinity Ward!

That should tell you we will either see a console this year, or Infinity Ward is going to work on another FPS that isn't Call of Duty!
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    1 thing is for sure, im pre ordering one as soon as i can :D

Hope they move to Blu Ray or something other high storage media, and keep the Ethernet as i prefer it to WiFi.

im 99.9% you keep all your current Live details as are.

How many months was there between the Wii U being announced and being launched in Europe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    1 thing is for sure, im pre ordering one as soon as i can :D

Hope they move to Blu Ray or something other high storage media, and keep the Ethernet as i prefer it to WiFi.

im 99.9% you keep all your current Live details as are.

How many months was there between the Wii U being announced and being launched in Europe?
    About 50 years. I wouldn't go by Nintendo as they're foolish.

They announced it wayyyyyyyyy too early. I think it was E3 2011.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »

That won't be the way MS handle things. It was a screw up from Nintendo's end and an excruciating amount of time between the initial announcement and the Wii U's release.

For the next Xbox I'm expecting good things.

I believe it will release at the tail end of of 2013 with an announcement sometime late May or June, if not a separate event then at E3 itself. The fact we have nearly all of 2013's AAA titles all being sold before the first half of the year indicates big things are happening. Of course they want to starve us before it goes on sale.

As others have mentioned I can see full b/c with the current LIVE infrastructure including Gamertag/Gamer Score including full b/c with XBLA and Retail games and a digital transfer system.

A new controller, though I think the latest version is near perfect, there's always refinement to be made.

A BluRay drive, powerful graphics architecture and Kinect 2.0 (not fussed about new Kinect but there we go)

To the OP, I don't see them getting rid of Ethernet port. Its far too important to online gaming to just toss away.

What it's all about is the games though and I know MS will have something great lined up, a lot of their fist party studios are busy at work on these games. The thought of next-gen Forza makes me giddy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it will release at the tail end of of 2013 with an announcement sometime late May or June, if not a separate event then at E3 itself. The fact we have nearly all of 2013's AAA titles all being sold before the first half of the year indicates big things are happening. Of course they want to starve us before it goes on sale.
    Not to mention that the massive leaked document puts it down for a holiday 2013 release.

That same document also said there will be backwards compatibility via dedicated hardware.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Not to mention that the massive leaked document puts it down for a holiday 2013 release.

That same document also said there will be backwards compatibility via dedicated hardware.

That's the beauty of using off the shelf components, bc is a breeze for MS where as Sony are screwed. The best the PS4 can hope for is Cloud based PS3 titles pfffft.

Anyways very exciting times ahead, bc isn't really a big issue for me so I won't let that cloud my judgment when it comes to deciding which to buy.

My money is on MS coming up with the best all round package tho.
    Forum Member

Yeah. Can you imagine if we got to E3 and nothing was mentioned of next gen and that MS intended to push ANOTHER year out of 360. I wonder what everyone's reaction would be! lol :D

When they are making so much money these past few years you can understand why this gen has gone on so long, after all why rock the boat? This is why I think B/C is important from a business standpoint as it's a case of easing people in, especially with the online integration and carry over of gamerscore etc. rather than starting completely fresh as we usually do. There's no way on earth they will pull the plug on the Marketplace.

A spokesman for 343i said in a recent interview he feels the 360 will continue to be a relevant gaming platform for a few more years yet, alongside the new machine. This would also play into the theory of XBLA games that are continued to be 360 supported but also available on the new machine only with some extra bells and whistles like native 1080p support etc.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    About the only thing im looking for (Outside of some things mentioned above) is a better dashboard.

I hate the metro-dash & since it was introduced have avoided using it at all costs (At the expense of XBLA content & other DLC) & have ended up buying some games on the PS3 rather than the 360 as a result (Despite the 360 version of Batman Arkham asylum been cheaper than the ps3 version when i brought it last week).

Id prefer to see a dashboard thats neater, less intrusive, less cluttered, more useable & more customizable with options to view content in a list rather than big boxes/icons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id prefer to see a dashboard thats neater, less intrusive, less cluttered, more useable & more customizable with options to view content in a list rather than big boxes/icons.
    Really? What is more neater than tidy boxes?

Not being neat would be circles, triangles and boxes all on one page.

it will continue to be Metro style. That is a given. All Microsoft products are using Metro guidelines and given the next Xbox will probably try to shoehorn Windows 8 interoperability in some way, you can be rest assured it will be Metro styled.
    Forum Member
    Really? What is more neater than tidy boxes?
    A nice tidy list ;)

I just hate having the boxes all over the screen & find it a pain trying to navigate some areas of it, Especially the DLC/Add-on section which I think looks utterly atrocious.

I've always preferred a simple list type view, I find that sort of thing so much quicker & easier to read/navigate through & thats why I prefer the XMB on the PS3. Its quick, looks nice & everything is neatly out the way & arranged in a nice list type view.

Been totally honest, If the next xbox does have something similar to metro as the dash I won't be buying one regardless of what games are released or how good they are.

I know when it comes to a console people often say 'who cares about the UI, Its the games that matter' & in the past that was true. However with each system having an online store & most games having DLC to buy along with other UI based things to navigate I find the UI to be a really important part of a console now & If I don't like how a UI looks or works then Im not going to buy it.

The Playstation store on the PS3 went to a boxes/tabs style layout recently & I barely go on there anymore as a result when I used to use it regularly with the old layout.

I've already turned down a free windows phone which my dad offered me because it had the metro style interface & I will never buy Windows 8 for similar reasons (Among some other things I disliked when i used it).
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    The major selling point for me with the Xbox 360 is the availability of playing your own music in-game. This is a feature which sadly doesn't feature on the PS3 only for a few select titles, yet on the Xbox 360 you can switch it on with every game.

I hope the new Xbox keeps in-game custom soundtracks which I think they will since it's been a standard feature on the Xbox since the original Xbox came out :)
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dashboard doesn't bother me on the whole.
    Think it works fairly well. It only becomes a pain when you get to a section where's there's loads of options and you have to scroll through.
    I agree the DLC bits are particularly annoying especially when you feet to a game which has 50+ items and they are all mixed up. I don't want to be scrolling through loads of game trailers, avatar items and videos just to find the DLC game addons.
    There should be some way to filter these things.

Saying that though, the dashboard being mildly annoying would never stop me getting the next Xbox if it lives up to expectations.

One of my friends had an original Xbox Luge account and I'm sure they said this just transferred to Xbox Live Gold with all of their account details so I'd say they'll do it again.
    Given how much people have invested in their profiles I'm sure Microsoft would see this as a way to keep people in board and not have them straying to another machine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own but I wouldn't let the dashboard design put me off buying a console and certainly wouldn't let it stop me playing games that maybe couldn't be played else where (exclusives).

What's is really impressing me is we'll be able to trade our 360's for the next XBOX and continue playing our 360 favourites seamlessly, 2 consoles for the price of 1, hope its going to happen. Such b/c will be a god send in the early stages of the console, as limited games at launch might not appeal so having something to fall back on without any hassle should be good.

Christmas 2013 should be an exciting one provided we're not all being led up the garden path with all these rumours.

Will probably pre-order once all the details are finalised.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm personally keeping an open mind in regards to the xbox720 because some of the rumours & speculation floating around the web (especially when it comes to the specification) seem pure fantasy 2 me ... Lets face facts ya not gonna get a £1000 worth of kit for £300 you've gotta be realistic. ;)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my friends had an original Xbox Luge account and I'm sure they said this just transferred to Xbox Live Gold with all of their account details so I'd say they'll do it again.
    Given how much people have invested in their profiles I'm sure Microsoft would see this as a way to keep people in board and not have them straying to another machine.

I've been with XBL since the "Test Drive" in late 2002. When I got a 360, it just became XBL Gold.

It would make no sense whatsoever for MS to not carry over your XBL from the 360 to the third Xbox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I'm personally keeping an open mind in regards to the xbox720 because some of the rumours & speculation floating around the web (especially when it comes to the specification) seem pure fantasy 2 me ... Lets face facts ya not gonna get a £1000 worth of kit for £300 you've gotta be realistic. ;)
    This tells you all you need to know, if you've not seen it.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qPy1bVkHpa4J:www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-SiteFiles/images-news-xbox720/xbox720doc.pdf+xbox720doc.pdf&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjwylKgscgpoXjr7W4M-o4u2mcTvNqWA43l8igcaGSS6OsY8NVSIsMJ7WR8jtsAhOTQPsN4r2dun5cAt-WtCjEQ3uTPNL2MXw2I2ld2EWOuIwv9dF5nmGft2qYLAJnjDj6Suu-r&sig=AHIEtbSuvi7WMeL7MZUcUs9Axou98gUjig

They're aiming for 6-8 times the 'power' of the 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    A nice tidy list ;)

I just hate having the boxes all over the screen & find it a pain trying to navigate some areas of it, Especially the DLC/Add-on section which I think looks utterly atrocious.

I've always preferred a simple list type view, I find that sort of thing so much quicker & easier to read/navigate through & thats why I prefer the XMB on the PS3. Its quick, looks nice & everything is neatly out the way & arranged in a nice list type view.

Been totally honest, If the next xbox does have something similar to metro as the dash I won't be buying one regardless of what games are released or how good they are.

I know when it comes to a console people often say 'who cares about the UI, Its the games that matter' & in the past that was true. However with each system having an online store & most games having DLC to buy along with other UI based things to navigate I find the UI to be a really important part of a console now & If I don't like how a UI looks or works then Im not going to buy it.

The Playstation store on the PS3 went to a boxes/tabs style layout recently & I barely go on there anymore as a result when I used to use it regularly with the old layout.
    i am with you although im not going to say i would not buy the next xbox if it had the modern ui (as i think there now calling what was metro).

i particularly agree with you on the dlc side of the xbox marketplace, finding what your looking for when you have a ton of stuff there is a complete nightmare & a big part of why i have not brought any dlc for any xbox game in over a year & why all multiplatform games have been brought on ps3 since the current dashboard was rolled out.

i also brought a new desktop pc recently & it came with windows 8 pre-installed, saw the modern ui & immediately formatted the hard drive, found my windows 7 disc & installed windows 7 on the system.
    i also got a windows based phone as a gift & immediately took it back to have it exchanged it for an android based variant.
    Forum Member
    I can accept people not liking the look of Metro but how can anyone say finding things is difficult, least of all DLC? It has it's own separate Tab and A-Z list not to mention a menu built on to each game and a search engine on top. How can you NOT Find the DLC you're looking for?

Asides from that, can people also just perhaps get over it? I want to read other people's opinions on the next Xbox (as I'm sure anyone does who opens this thread) not the same old crap from the same old people about Metro dash. We get it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I can accept people not liking the look of Metro but how can anyone say finding things is difficult, least of all DLC? It has it's own separate Tab and A-Z list not to mention a menu built on to each game and a search engine on top. How can you NOT Find the DLC you're looking for?
    Because of the box layout quickly scrolling though when there is a lot of items can be a real nightmare & take forever.

take the forza car packs, there is 142 pages of boxes on forza 4 & you have the individual car & the car packs all lumped together in a big mess which is not only a nightmare to navigate but also practically impossible to go through.

on the old dashboard layout all the dlc was in a list down the left side of the screen with the contents on the dlc packs listed down the right side so you could see what the pack contained without having to actually click on it to load another window.

on games with only 1-2 things then its not as big an issue but when you have tons & tons of stuff then its impossible to quickly & easily go through everything.

i never had an issue with finding dlc stuff on previous dashboards because everything was nicely laid out in a list, you just needed to scroll through & finding stuff was really easy. since metro was rolled out i've found going through the dlc section to be a real pain which is why as i said all multi platform games are now brought on ps3 & why i don't buy dlc for 360 exclusives anymore if there is a ton of dlc to go through.

i simply much prefer the old style vertical list layout, found it much faster to scroll through & far simpler to read.

things should be done to make it as easy & quick to use as possible (something a nice tidy list definitely does) & boxes plastered all over the screen ain't easy or quick & I also think they just look plain ugly.
  • Anime_FanAnime_Fan Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    funny story about the current dahboard.

i borrowed my 360 to my sister a few months ago as she wanted to play alan wake & try out some demos for other 360 exclusive games as well as some xbla stuff.

she had not used a 360 since the metro dash was introduced & had only used it on the older blades & nxe dash's.

she came round 2 days later & gave it me back & when i asked why she came back by saying that the dashboard was the worst thing she had ever used & that she never wanted to see the thing again let alone use it.

then more recently she went out & got a laptop, she phoned me & complained that it had the xbox dashboard on it & that she hated it so made me go round there & put windows 7 on it for her, however for some odd reason win7 would not install on it (no idea why, refused to format the drive with win8 on it during win7 install) so she ended up having to take it back to pc world & try & get a laptop of similar spec with win7 already on it & having to pay an extra £30 for said laptop.

her husband also got a tablet with the win8 type os, that lasted 3 hours & then he took it back & got a galaxy tablet with the android os.

back to the 360 metro. im always surprised it seems to have as many fans as it seems to on the internet as everyone i know personally (friends/family/peopel at work, down the pub etc...) hates it & a few on my friends list said they sold there 360s because of it.

i myself distain it but woudn't go as far as selling my 360 or refusing to buy the next one.
    Forum Member
    F1_Dave_E wrote: »
    Because of the box layout quickly scrolling though when there is a lot of items can be a real nightmare & take forever.

take the forza car packs, there is 142 pages of boxes on forza 4 & you have the individual car & the car packs all lumped together in a big mess which is not only a nightmare to navigate but also practically impossible to go through.

on the old dashboard layout all the dlc was in a list down the left side of the screen with the contents on the dlc packs listed down the right side so you could see what the pack contained without having to actually click on it to load another window.

on games with only 1-2 things then its not as big an issue but when you have tons & tons of stuff then its impossible to quickly & easily go through everything.

i never had an issue with finding dlc stuff on previous dashboards because everything was nicely laid out in a list, you just needed to scroll through & finding stuff was really easy. since metro was rolled out i've found going through the dlc section to be a real pain which is why as i said all multi platform games are now brought on ps3 & why i don't buy dlc for 360 exclusives anymore if there is a ton of dlc to go through.

i simply much prefer the old style vertical list layout, found it much faster to scroll through & far simpler to read.

things should be done to make it as easy & quick to use as possible (something a nice tidy list definitely does) & boxes plastered all over the screen ain't easy or quick & I also think they just look plain ugly.

Forza 4 is an exception to the rule concerning DLC since there's so much of it and while there are a lot of "boxes" they are ordered from most recent to the oldest from left to right, you can press LB/RB to scroll by page. However there is a separate marketplace within Forza 4 that takes the hassle of navigating them via the dash away. It's not a legitimate complaint.

We all have our opinions, I find Metro to be the most usable and organised dash so far, on NXE I would have much greater difficulty finding the latest DLC since there wasn't a separate store entry for them, only in-game menus. Now I can just scroll to the "Add-ons" tab and check what comes in from day to day or press X on my game of choice to view all of it's DLC . How could it be any simpler than it already is?? But I do appreciate you hate Metro to the point of not using the 360 anymore, which is, quite frankly irrational. Is the PS3 Storefront really that much better? See how many people are complaining right now that can't even find DLC on the new store. Can we move on now?
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they do not make one! Ive only recently in last 4 years caught up. I don't see what they can improve on apart from graphics and if I'm honest some of the games I have played have been so realistic it is slightly unnerving.
    That said I would like to see the end of physical disks and more downloads. Hopefully the downloads will be cheaper because there is no need for plastics, staff in shops etc and it would also ruin the preowned market and thus no need for those stupid codes to play online.
    If more games were £20 new and £10 later more people would play.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I know it's only a little thing but I hope they have a full wipe out of dormant names. I was going to change my name from 'He4rt' to 'Heart' but some guy has it that hasn't signed in since the original Xbox.

I also hope they give more customisable options for the dashboard. It's fine as it is now, but i would like the option to remove tabs that i don't use and the select which options i have on my home page.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good point about the names, names should be recycled after 12 months inactivity.
    Forum Member
    Just thought of something else I'd like to see on the next xbox, A proper steering wheel which doesn't cost a couple hundred £££.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the 360 is that there is no decent steering wheel at an affordable price.

On the PS3 for instance you have the Driving Force GT (Which also works on PC) at around £80 & its a brilliant wheel. The Microsoft wireless wheel was at a similar price range & feels like a cheap toy compared to the DFGT & I found it to be really poor in operation compared to the DFGT with crappy pedals, lower turning circle & weak FFB.

To get something similar on the 360 you need to go for one of the Fanatec wheels which are a couple hundred £££.
    That said I would like to see the end of physical disks and more downloads.
    I definitely wouldn't buy one if it was Digital Download only.

I love having a physical copy sitting on my shelf. One of the things I don't like about DD is that you don't have anything to show for it as its just a bunch of files sitting there on a hard disk which you can't see outside of the game icon on the screen.

Plus with DD you lose the ability to take games round friends to play split-screen which is something i still do on occasion & have a ton of fun with.