McDonalds - Great Tastes of America

Comments

• MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    So what would you propose?

I've said it many times if the last few pages. We need new regular menu items. Things like Mcgriddles, Angus Third Pounders, Premium Chicken sandwiches and a bigger range of salads. They have all these in the US and Australia.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I've said it many times if the last few pages. We need new regular menu items. Things like Mcgriddles, Angus Third Pounders, Premium Chicken sandwiches and a bigger range of salads. They have all these in the US and Australia.

I agree with you the menu does need a shake up. Even Spain has a better menu than us!
  • wcewce Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I'd go with that. Considering they want to be the Uk's (and indeed the worlds) biggest burger chain they do seem to give us Brits the poor deal when it comes to the menu. Looking at the US menu, compared to ours the difference is amazing. Ignoring the specials all you can get is a hamburger, cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, quarter pounder and a Big Mac in the beef offerings. Compare that with the US menu and it looks like we are the poor relation, especially when you compare what BK has on offer (bugerwise I mean igonoring the awful fries). Mind you I do wonder if the policies in place into types of meat also play a part. I recently answered a question on the Mcrib and it's return to the menu with a quote from Macdonalds saying that it would never be offered again due to cross contamination on the grills due to having only two (one for beef and one for chicken).

My questions to this are - 1.A Butty Van as an example with Little chef as another (who only have one griddle to so all sorts and have done so since the end of the 50's), - They manage to avoid killing anyone with their cooking all meats on the same griddle (and these are ones with a 5 star hygiene rating) How come the threat isn't there? If it is how come the aforementioned places were able to achieve such high ratings?

2 - Bacon How is this actually cooked? If done on the griddle this contradicts the points raised in 1.

3. If the menu if limited because of the cooking equipment restrictions why is this not looked on as a future prject for improvement? To compare, what is the difference in equipment in a US outlet conpared to a UK one?

These are questions that do need to be answered along with the reasones we differ so much with the US originating branches. I have my gut feeling that the excuses provided in answer the the previously asked questions above is that there are unlikely to be any major differences that could not be over come and if I am wrong would love for Maccys to proove me wrong but wont hold my breath!!!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was going to say that it may be a religious thing but obviously if they cook the bacon on the same grill then that can't be the reason. Does the bacon have it's own section?

They don't seemed to be worried about cross comtamination in other places. I'm sure i've seen a disclaimer about cooking the fries and fish products in the same oil.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was going to say that it may be a religious thing but obviously if they cook the bacon on the same grill then that can't be the reason. Does the bacon have it's own section?

They don't seemed to be worried about cross comtamination in other places. I'm sure i've seen a disclaimer about cooking the fries and fish products in the same oil.

The Bacon doesn't get cooked on the premises, it comes in ready cooked and is put cold on to the burgers.

the only Pork they cook is the Sausagemeat at Breakfast, and the grills are thoroughly cleaned before they start cooking the main menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bacon doesn't get cooked on the premises, it comes in ready cooked and is put cold on to the burgers.

the only Pork they cook is the Sausagemeat at Breakfast, and the grills are thoroughly cleaned before they start cooking the main menu.

I don't understand this. We are not a Muslim or Jewish country.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand this. We are not a Muslim or Jewish country.

Why jump to the conclusion that has anything to do with the reason? Maybe they simply don't want the flavours of one meat to alter the flavour of another?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why jump to the conclusion that has anything to do with the reason? Maybe they simply don't want the flavours of one meat to alter the flavour of another?

Yes, but you could say the same about Beef and Chicken. Why is pork a special case?
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but you could say the same about Beef and Chicken. Why is pork a special case?

all the chicken stuff is deep fried isn't it?

Anyway it's clear that your standard McD kitchen has a set of equipment for cooking beef, and a set of equipment for cooking chicken, and a set for cooking veggie. They don't have room for a fourth set for occasional pork. They're not like the local kebab shop that has a low enough order rate that they just cook everything on one grill.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe there are some bacteria unique to pork that can easily cross-contaminate if raw pork touched other food.

Generally when barbecuing, it's why another hibachi rack would be put in... McD's methods of cooking - where you're packing the burgers quite close together differs from, say, the cooking-to-order model seen in kebab shops or on something like Man V Food, where there is a lot of empty space around the food being cooked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess what is back.:rolleyes:

5 allegedly different cheese and bacon burgers under the guise of regional names with absolutely no correlation to the cuisine of said regions.:yawn:
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose you are right to an extent, but I still find this promo baffling. I just don't see any association between the burgers and the cities they claim to represent.

For example, as I said above 4 of the 5 burgers have cheese and bacon. which is commonplace and don't really relate to any region in particular.

The first week is the Miami Melt, which has a chilli and chive bun. How does that relate to Miami specifically - it doesn't in my opinion.

The one burger that doesn't have bacon is the Texas Grande - here is the description.

How is Pepperoni Tex Mex? To me pepperoni is usually associated with Pizza - Texas is usually associated with Tex Mex, BBQ or Steak where if anything Chicago is known for Deep Dish Pizza and New York is also known for it's thin crust Pizzas.

Yet the Chicago burger is again the generic Cheese and Bacon with a cheese topped bun and salsa - what does that have to do with Chicago?

I can just about buy the New Orleans as it has a Cajun sauce, but the others don't seem to have anything specific to the region.

New York is known for its thin and thick crust pizza, which is available in most NYC pizzerias. Chicago deep dish pizza is more like a savory pastry dish since the crust is pastry style and entirely different to typical pizza. I think its nowhere near as good as New York pizza and most Americans agree. New York's thick crust pizza is essentially the same as thin crust in taste but much thicker. In my opinion New York City pizza is better than what you get in Italy, though to be fair typical Italian pizza is much lighter and much more plain in flavor all around.

Are you familiar enough with Chicago to see a connection?

I think McDonald's tends to put a spin on things based on the local market even if it is not accurate to the real thing.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess what is back.:rolleyes:

5 allegedly different cheese and bacon burgers under the guise of regional names with absolutely no correlation to the cuisine of said regions.:yawn:

Are you thoroughly familiar with those 5 regions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Are you thoroughly familiar with those 5 regions?

Not necessarily thouroughly, no. What point are you making though? Can you categorically go the other way and explain to me exactly why what the regional relevance is in each case?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily thouroughly, no. What point are you making though? Can you categorically go the other way and explain to me exactly why what the regional relevance is in each case?

What are the burgers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the burgers?

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome.html

Louisiana BBQ
    Chicago Supreme
    Arizona Nacho Grande
    California Melt
    New York Classic

Essentially, with the exception of the Arizona, they are all Bacon Cheeseburgers in various guises of oval bun, with slightly different sauces.

The Chicago and NY burger are identical aside from the Chicago has salsa and mayo and the NY has mustard, ketchup and mayo. I don't really see how salsa correlates to Chicago at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome.html

Louisiana BBQ
    Chicago Supreme
    Arizona Nacho Grande
    California Melt
    New York Classic

Essentially, with the exception of the Arizona, they are all Bacon Cheeseburgers in various guises of oval bun, with slightly different sauces.

The Chicago and NY burger are identical aside from the Chicago has salsa and mayo and the NY has mustard, ketchup and mayo. I don't really see how salsa correlates to Chicago at all.

:o The McDonald's UK team need to be fired for lack of imagination.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louisiana BBQ looks the best. I will only eat half of one though as it's 600 calories. I'll let the birds eat the rest.
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straight off the back of the latest promo burger 1/4 with cheese and bacon. They look the same last year with the adding of some nachos on the one with chorizo

Dull as!
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Think I'll try the Louisiana BBQ, though I'm sure I'll be disappointed as usual. Didn't win monopoly though.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BORING!!!

Yet again uninspired choice from Mcds
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could try a lower carb range, brown buns, reduced fat mayo, grilled chicken?
  • Dolphin DriverDolphin Driver Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget the burgers, I see the Chocolate Fudge Brownie McFlurry has made a return. I thought it was one of the best ones they've had lately when it was out last year, so amy have to sample one again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had the Louisana one. Liked it. Although I agree the burgers aren't that different, I'm so bored of the regular menu and the Big Tasty is just a bit too heart attack food that I only really bother with McDs during the Great Tastes of America month. Yes it's marketing but it does appeal to me still.

Has the M burger (the allegedly posh steaky one) been withdrawn even as a special? Can't remember the last time that was in store?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a Louisiana BBQ earlier as I needed something quick and was near a McDonalds.

Tastes like a McDonalds burger with cheese and bacon. There was some sort of sauce on there, but it was incredibly bland, whatever it was (i'm presuming that was the 'BBQ' bit)