Survivor 2011: New Who Episodes ~ Round Three

Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,438
Forum Member
Thanks to everyone who voted in Round Two. :)

If you haven't played a Survivor game before and would like to join in it's all very easy. All you need to do is cast your eye down the episodes listed below and decide which three of them you like the least.
Once you've sorted that out simply post your three choices on this thread or send them to me via Private Message, then sit back and wait for the results to be announced. It's as simple as that!
You can also send your choices to the succeeding rounds by typing ”auto”. Just remember that if one or more of your episodes is evicted then you’ll need to replace them to make them up to the required amount of three episodes.
Two episodes will be evicted at the end of each round. In the event of a tie, cumulative votes throughout the game will be taken into account.

Last year it ranked just above The Idiot’s Lantern and Fear Her and this year it does precisely the same thing. 34.38% of you voted for Love And Monsters so it becomes the third episode to be evicted.

We had a tie for second place in this round but, as always, when there’s a tie cumulative votes come into play. So The Lazarus Experiment escapes by the skin of its teeth whilst The Long Game gets evicted with votes from 21.88% of you.

Unsurprisingly, nobody predicted either episode to grab a Top Ten place, or to be in the Top Three episodes for their respective seasons. ;)

To recap:

{59=} 73) The Idiot’s Lantern
{59=} 74) Fear Her

The Play Your Cards Right Bit

Well, with one exception, everyone who posted their opinion seemed to agree that Boom Town will fall down the chart this year.

Survivor virgin chuk has selected Silence In The Library for you deliberate on in this round. In 2009 it was ranked in 11th place whilst last year it fell to 27th. Chuk felt that this was a freak, unexpected result and feels it may go back up this year.

But what about you? Higher, lower or the same position as it was in 2010? :confused:

So, it's on with the game then. Time to pick your three least favourite episodes from:-

Season One

01) Rose
02) The End Of The World
03) The Unquiet Dead
04) Aliens Of London
05) World War III
06) Dalek
07) Father's Day
08) The Empty Child
09) The Doctor Dances
11) Boom Town
11) Bad Wolf
12) The Parting Of The Ways

Season Two

13) New Earth
14) Tooth & Claw
15) School Reunion
16) The Girl In The Fireplace
17) Rise Of The Cybermen
18) The Age Of Steel
19) The Impossible Planet
20) The Satan Pit
21) Army Of Ghosts
22) Doomsday

Season Three

23) Smith & Jones
24) The Shakespeare Code
25) Gridlock
26) Daleks In Manhattan
27) Evolution Of The Daleks
28) The Lazarus Experiment
29) 42
30) Human Nature
31) The Family Of Blood
32) Blink
33) Utopia
34) The Sound Of Drums
35) Last Of The Timelords

Season Four

36) Partners In Crime
37) The Fires Of Pompeii
38) Planet Of The Ood
39) The Sontaran Stratagem
40) The Poison Sky
41) The Doctor's Daughter
42) The Unicorn & The Wasp
43) Silence In The Library
44) Forest Of The Dead
45) Midnight
46) Turn Left
47) The Stolen Earth
48) Journey's End

Season Five

49) The Eleventh Hour
50) The Best Below
51) Victory Of The Daleks
52) The Time Of Angels
53) Flesh And Stone
54) The Vampires Of Venice
55) Amy’s Choice
56) The Hungry Earth
57) Cold Blood
58) Vincent And The Doctor
59) The Lodger
60) The Pandorica Opens
61) The Big Bang

Specials

62) The Christmas Invasion
63) The Runaway Bride
64) Voyage Of The Damned
65) The Next Doctor
66) Planet Of The Dead
67) The Waters Of Mars
68) The End Of Time (episode 1)
69) The End Of Time (episode 2)
70) A Christmas Carol

+++ The deadline for your votes is 8pm on Monday 10 January +++

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Auto:

1) Last of the Timelords

2) The Doctor's Daughter

3) Doomsday

NB: I saw The Long Game for the first time last year. I feel that it is a highly underrated episode, and doesn't deserve the reputation it gets. While it is not the most outstanding of episodes, I was surprised to find that, IMO it is on par with Boomtown (another good episode :D) Let's hope The Long Game finds favour in time :)

As for Silence in the Library, I think that it is one of River Song's better stories, and as a consequense, will be slightly higher this year :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    End Of Time Part 1
    Vampires of Venice

This is hard, but i think it will be higher. The story is one of the best so it deserves to go up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting in now because I missed round two :(:o

Victory of the Daleks
    Daleks in Manhatten
    Planet of the Dead

I think Silence will be higher, possibly wishful thinking though as I love that two-parter :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My votes for this round will be:

The Next Doctor
    The End of the World

Plus:

Journey's End - 3.6/10: (Imo, of course) In terms of writing only, I think this is probably the poorest script since the show returned. Too many companions that don't have enough to do and some of the worst characterisation in history: Sarah Jane just so happens to be carrying a massive bomb in her jacket; Martha, obviously mentally unstable, decides to try and blow up the planet and Rose coming back for no effing reason and frankly ruining her own much better send off in Doomsday. Not to mention the Daleks can be blown up by using magic controls aboard their own ship. And to think this episode was supposed to end with the Cybermen playing peekaboo behind the Doctor :yawn: Still, fantastic acting from Catherine Tate and a tragic send off for Donna.

I think Silence in the Library will actually be higher this year - I was shocked it went out when it did last year!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay my three most disliked episodes gone in the first two rounds. :cool:

Would have liked to see Love & Monsters stick around though...:(

old votes:
    Voyage Of The Damned
    Evolution Of The Daleks

new vote:
    Planet of the Dead - might be a surprise pick to some, given my championing of Malcolm in the character game, but it has to be said, take away his excellent character and all thats left is a jumbled mess of an episode and David Tennant going through the motions.

Going for higher for Silence in the Library.
  • Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Victory Of The Daleks
    Vampires Of Venice
    Tooth & Claw

Library - Higher
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see Love and Monsters go. My three choices are now;

Aliens of London
    World War III
    Boom Town

Can you tell I don't like the Slitheen? ;) But at least they aren't as bad as the Absorbaloff.
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Planet of the Dead - might be a surprise pick to some, given my championing of Malcolm in the character game, but it has to be said, take away his excellent character and all thats left is a jumbled mess of an episode and David Tennant going through the motions.

Take away his rubbish character and you've got Lady Christina being thoroughly sexy! :p
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take away his rubbish character and you've got Lady Christina being thoroughly sexy! :p

...shame the actress couldn't act her way out of a paper bag though, isn't it?;)

Last game:

Malcolm - 14th

Lady Christina - 91st.

Case well and truly rested...;)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    ...shame the actress couldn't act her way out of a paper bag though, isn't it?;)

Last game:

Malcolm - 14th

Lady Christina - 91st.

Case well and truly rested...;)

I don't know why so many people don't rate Michelle Ryan as an actress. She's not likely to trouble the Oscar committee, granted, but she's a perfectly competent actress.

And you know how much I agreed with some of the results on the last game. Everyone has their own opinion, but my opinion is the one I have most respect for ;):p
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AUTO

Plus Victory of the Daleks

A real shame about Love and Monsters, as it deserved to be higher.

Silence in the Library will probably be higher, but it doesn't deserve to be, as it's lazy greatest hits. So I'm going lower.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Auto please
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Auto please
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Earth
    The Lazarus Experiment
    The Next Doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Next Doctor - apart from a decent central idea with Morrisey's character, we had Cybershades, Rosita & a CyberKing that felt like a Wallace & Grommit reject. Fail!

The Lazarus Experiment - just all round 'Meh' for me. Martha's family, really, really didn't do it for me either. Compared to Rose & Donna's anyway.

Last of the Timelords - following on from the good Utopia & Sound of Drums, this was a real let down, especially seeing as it's the Master. Relegating the Doctor to an old man and then "Dobby" only to have him save the day through everyone effectively praying and turning him into a Messiah-like figure - yuk. Still, loved the use of the Scissor Sisters track though!

Based on the popularity increase in the last year of River Song & Mr Moffat, I'm saying SITL will go up this year, maybe by as much as 10 places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    End of Time Part 1
    End of Time Part 2
    Last of the Time Lords

slightly higher
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    62) The Christmas Invasion
    63) The Runaway Bride
    64) Voyage Of The Damned

Higher this time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see Love and Monsters go agian so early!!!

Auto for me RK.

SITL...well on a personal note, despite the love for River increasing (and rightly so), I don't think this story really adds or changes to the love she gained in series 5....but last year it did drop quite unexpectedly quite far down the list.....so on the basis of the latter point, it may climb up....but not because series has made people fall in love with River more....

so I will go for higher (although hope it doesn't, don't feel it deserves to)....

I don't know why so many people don't rate Michelle Ryan as an actress. She's not likely to trouble the Oscar committee, granted, but she's a perfectly competent actress.

And you know how much I agreed with some of the results on the last game. Everyone has their own opinion, but my opinion is the one I have most respect for ;):p

i thought her acting was fine, well whatever amount of acting was needed from that is.....but the character itself was too smug and not appealing I feel
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same once more...

Partners In Crime
    Midnight
    The Runaway Bride
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From last round:

The Lazarus Experiment

Now I'm stuck for my third choice. I've split the episodes into 'average', 'like' and 'love' (which isn't to say I don't like the average episodes). I have 14 episodes in the average section which are all about equal for me so it's hard to decide which one to vote for first. Okay, here goes:

Rise Of The Cybermen - I don't like Roger Lloyd Pack's voice and since he had such a prominent role I kept thinking how I didn't like Roger Lloyd Pack's voice which took away from the episode. I also wasn't keen on Rickey. I think Noel did a good job of showing they were different people but the facial expressions got on my nerves a bit. I'm also not overly fond of the cybermen, I think they're a good concept and the idea terrifies me thinking about it but it doesn't come across on screen.

I chose Rise Of The Cybermen over The Age of Steel mostly due to Mrs Moore who shines in the latter. I also think they finally conveyed the cybermen well when the Doctor discovered one was a woman about to get married.

Edit: I forgot, I think it will be slightly higher this time as we know more about River.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »

i thought her acting was fine, well whatever amount of acting was needed from that is.....but the character itself was too smug and not appealing I feel

I agree, I have no doubt the character was portrayed as directed, but Christina was annoying. However, I won't be voting for that episode until at least a coupld more have gone- Malcom was good and thought the stingrays were an interesting concept, albeit not that great on screen.

Very sad to see The Long Game gone so soon. While it's not the best episode, there are many others I think are far worse. I know Adam was a pain, but that was the point, to show the trouble an unsuitable companion can cause. And I'm still waiting for an older version of him to return as a villain. The story had some interesting ideas and was very important in showing the unintended consequences of messing with events, in the finale.

Perhaps it's so unpopular because series 1 was a long time ago and many won't have watched it since?

Old:
    The End of Time Part 2
    The Lazarus Experiment

New:
    The Doctor's Daughter- Afraid Jenny really got on my nerves too, and didn't think much of Martha's sideline in this either.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite sad to see Love and Monsters go already, though not surprised.

None of my votes have gone so AUTO for me please.

Silence In The Library I feel, due to the increase in popularity of River in series 5, it will help boost SIL again so will be Higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Auto please Rita and lower for Silence in the Library. I much prefer River in series 5.
  • chukchuk Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Aliens of London
    The Lazarus Experiment
    Last of the Timelords

And Silence in the Library predicted to be higher.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Well it's good to lose one of my bottom 3 episodes. Still, I now vote for...

- The End of Time: Part 1
    - The Hungry Earth
    - Cold Blood

Silence in the Library to be slightly higher, perhaps. :)
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My votes go to

The Big Bang
    The Beast Below
    Flesh & Stone

SITL will remain in the same position......