Reducing noise from the street

cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all ,
Basically I live in a terraced house which front door goes straight onto pavement , now I understand kids will be kids so I'm not saying I want the neighbours kids to stop playing but they play on things like scooters so are constantly banging the scooters on kerb and when riding down street you can feel the vibration in the back from . Is there anyway of reducing noise ? I have double glazing but that doesn't seem to do much . We are converting the front room and at the mo are put off using it due to the noise .
It might sound silly but after hearing it over and over for a few hours it drives us nuts , also I have medical issues including concentration and this affects me doing tasks .
Sorry to ramble lol :)

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

You could replace the dg for units with a bigger gap between the panes but other than triple glazing as striing suggested, I agree there's nothing you can do unless you want to move. The glazing isn't going to stop the vibrations only the external noise.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I feel for you OP - I am sensitive to noise too. Live in a top floor flat - 4 floors up - but because I am in a town centre it can get noisy at weekends.

I have inherited a house in Ireland which has a couple of acres of land and no other houses around for half a mile. I may even retire there - its so peaceful.:D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are noise cancelling systems if you can afford them.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for responses :) I will look into options mentioned and hopefully will help me cope with noise , I don't want to move as I do love it here but it's just making it more comfy .
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you can get noise suppressing curtain liners, i`ll look for a link.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/curtains/blackout-curtains/
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Aren't they for visual noise though?

no...
    Forum Member
    also look here: they`re probably horrendously expensive though.

http://www.acoustic-curtains.co.uk/domesticcurtains.html
    Forum Member
    I'm intrigued. How does a piece of material stop the noise of kids skateboarding or vibrations from scooters on the other side of the door?

Yes those are for auditory noise. I don't think the first ones are though. And vibrations are still going to be very hard to combat.
    in the first link there`s a MASSIVE banner across the top that says "reduces noise".
    Forum Member
    But how? If you click on the curtains it just says about reducing bright lights and draughts. I don't understand how they reduce noise. If they do I'd be interested in getting some as they're not that expensive, but I'm not going to fork out if I can't get info on what they are going to do for the noise.

i don`t know the specifics of noise reducing curtains, but anything fabric at the window [apart fron nets and thin things] is going to have an insulating effect. i assume [though i`ll go and look] that the fabric is shot through with some extra effective material.

http://www.soundproofcurtainshq.com/how-do-soundproof-curtains-work/