This "looking back" and "looking forward" thing during New Year

Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think this is what I loathe most about the New Year. Does it get on anyone else's nerves? I just want to get on with my life, really, but everyone else is obsessed with thinking about anything but the here and now.

Comments

• Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite healthy to look forward, as long as it isn't in a sort of doom-and-gloom way.

Myself, I am a reflector on past events, and I wish I wasn't. I get sentimental far too easily and it's why I always end up in floods of tears at the bells.

I guess NYE is the one night of the year where it's perfectly allowed to take stock of your life in whichever way suits you. But I do concede that essentially it's just another day. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite healthy to look forward, as long as it isn't in a sort of doom-and-gloom way.

Myself, I am a reflector on past events, and I wish I wasn't. I get sentimental far too easily and it's why I always end up in floods of tears at the bells.

I guess NYE is the one night of the year where it's perfectly allowed to take stock of your life in whichever way suits you. But I do concede that essentially it's just another day. :)

Took the words right out of my mouth!
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that looking forward just tends to set me up for disappointments so I've stopped doing it, and looking back just makes me feel sad. I try to live in the moment now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully concur with living strictly in the moment, one day at a time. Anything else brings too much complication.

I despise New Years.

Just as you're starting to get back to some sense of normality after the triple whammy of Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing day along comes another two day period where everything is totally hectic on the first day and then everywhere shuts down on the second leaving you arse backwards again.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate it, I will be looking back at 2008, in which I had of some of the greatest times I had in my life, then I will realise that that part of my life is gone and I will end up feeling very sad.