Female soap producers!

2»

Comments

• broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    Mal Young was actually heavily involved in the show during the Berridge's years.... because Berridge was not a producer, she had been a script writer if memory serves, Young kept a close eye on things.... so he needs to take some of the responsibility if you feel that EE was bad in those years.

He was, for instance, responsible for bringing back Dirty Den, not Berridge.

I dont consider bringing back DD one of the problems of the Berridge years.

The main problem was the scripts. It strayed into cliched terms -the guy is always a rotter for cheating on the girl, the girl always has to have revenge - it strayed into cheap trash mag territory with two much emphasis on teenage romances ie Jamie and Sonia. And Sonia turned into such a dislikeable character.

Berridge took EE in verfy good health under John Yorke and turned it into hokey trash. So she was very bad in my opinion.

But Corinne Hollingworth and Jane Harris in the nineties were very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that people are fogetting about Harwood is that she introduced the Brannings and Foxes as well as other characters who really contributed to the Soaps successful new era in 2007. So she did a lot of good for the soap in the long term.
  • scizophonicscizophonic Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Berridge was bad but there have been worse. The show was awful in 1989 and for some of 1990.

Berridge was responsible for bringing back Leslie G. though as he's said himself he was persuaded to return by Berridge. He said it on the documentary that was on in 2003 about his return. I'd trust his word over tabloid hearsay. Also Louise said herself on that show she wanted Den back and went after him.

Mind you Leslie changes his mind a lot now he still reckons he was always going to leave in 2005 yet I don't believe this was fully the case certainly the circumstances suggest otherwise. If his return had been a roaring success and there had been no wankgate I bet he would still be there now or would've been there until recently.

Bringing back Den was a mistake not because he was dead but because he was given abysmal storylines.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Berridge was bad but there have been worse. The show was awful in 1989 and for some of 1990.

This is true. It only started its climb to acceptability when the Mitchells arrived in 1990/1991.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumping up a old thread but Lorrine Newman has kept the trend going
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Bumping up a old thread but Lorrine Newman has kept the trend going

Disagree, she's building up Characters and Friend ships instead of doing the easy thing and axe!
  • worrierprincessworrierprincess Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I thought the Soaps section was one part of the forum I could get away from misogynistic bile. Apparently I was wrong. Two words: Collinson and Blackburn, two MALE producers who killed/are killing Emmerdale and Corrie.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish. They have the same hit rate as the male soap producers.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Soaps section was one part of the forum I could get away from misogynistic bile. Apparently I was wrong. Two words: Collinson and Blackburn, two MALE producers who killed/are killing Emmerdale and Corrie.

what was wrong with him, He had some great storylines:confused:
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    what was wrong with him, He had some great storylines:confused:

Agree! Collinson was AMAZING!
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Kate Harwood is another one. She oversaw EastEnders in 2006, and it was absolutely awful.

Actually I'm starting to think it may have been her left over storylines and ideas that made the first full year of Santer's era so great, every year of his after that got progressively worse, particularly the weeks following each of his famous reveals.
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Berridge weren't all that bad - she oversaw a very difficult transition for the show as it lost some very big characters and she dealt with all kinds of issues. Not her fault, but I would still rather the show in that state than it is now!!

Kath Beedles did an amazing job at Emmerdale when she was there.