Options

black female orientated this year.

jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
Forum Member
✭✭
There not overly great but been picked over and over better singers IMO.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I agree they will all sound the same shouty singers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mercedez22 wrote: »

Thanks two of Toms choices tonight were very poor and the opponent's were better.
  • Options
    Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercedez22 wrote: »

for me it was the opposite, i felt most of the white female singers sounded too similar

i think letitia was the only shouty one...the rest bring something a little different. i liked autumn and the d twins
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really not sure what the point of this thread is really. The contestants are judged by the way they sing, and not what colour skin that they might be.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I am really not sure what the point of this thread is really. The contestants are judged by the way they sing, and not what colour skin that they might be.

you seriously saying rita ora picked dwtinz over the mac bros based on musical ability and not on style and looks ?

even you cant believe that
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    you seriously saying rita ora picked dwtinz over the mac bros based on musical ability and not on style and looks ?

even you cant believe that

I can believe that, because I also would've picked D'Twinz. I thought The Mac Bros were crap.
  • Options
    Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I can believe that, because I also would've picked D'Twinz. I thought The Mac Bros were crap.

yep they were, nothing interesting or different. reminded me of the x factor macdonald bros
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely precisely why I question some of the choices made.
  • Options
    JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Norn2 wrote: »
    yep they were, nothing interesting or different. reminded me of the x factor macdonald bros

Agreed with these posts. There was nothing impressive or compelling about The Mac Bros, they lost that battle.
  • Options
    Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they all sounded relatively different. Sasha has Rebecca ferguson vibes, autumn is a typical diva singer and Lara is jazzy and d twins reggae
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly! I was wondering how long it would be until someone brings out the race card on The Voice forum and lo and behold.....it happens almost all the time with reality and talent shows.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norn2 wrote: »
    for me it was the opposite, i felt most of the white female singers sounded too similar

i think letitia was the only shouty one...the rest bring something a little different. i liked autumn and the d twins

Agreed, most of them on tonight's show did sing in the same screechy and shouty tone. However, you will find most black and white singers sound similar to each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abigail88 wrote: »
    I thought they all sounded relatively different. Sasha has Rebecca ferguson vibes, autumn is a typical diva singer and Lara is jazzy and d twins reggae

You have summed them up very well. They all have different styles.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I said a few weeks ago think the producers have a big say with who goes through as there are plenty of boxes to tick.

Although it does seen a bit urban heavy, although they were always going to axe a lot of young white females at this stage, they could not have it too young female heavy as it would cost votes despite them being the best acts
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abigail88 wrote: »

Majority of these acts have no chance of post show careers so not sure why so many are through.

Would hope they would lose most of these at the next stage as they are just ok nothing special
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the feel of Reggae from D Twins, as it makes a change from being the same of Beyonce / Whitney shouty diva wannabe. What I never understand is that there are plenty of talented African American artists out there, yet they seem to be stuck to the same old R'n'B BS. There are so many genres out there but it strikes me as odd that you very rarely see an African American do a Rock track.

Over the years we have had legends like Hendrix, and other stars like Roachford (who is now lead singer of Mike and the Mechanics), Lenny Kravitz, Rage Against The Machine, etc etc, all of which have Black vocalists. Just because a person isn't white, it shouldn't subject them being stuck to R'n'B, when there are plenty of other genres. I love Reggae music and would prefer to see new artists do that kind of material instead of the awfulness of Beyonce / Emeli Sande / Jennifer Hudson / Whitney.

Edit with Emeli Sande, I loved the duet of "Read all about it" she done with Prof Green as it had a good beat to it and I loved the Rap to it, I however cannot stand the wrist slitting solo version that she done on her own. I also cannot stand that "Clown" song, but enjoyed "Beneath your beautiful" & loved "Next to me", as that had a rock feel to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the feel of Reggae from D Twins, as it makes a change from being the same of Beyonce / Whitney shouty diva wannabe. What I never understand is that there are plenty of talented African American artists out there, yet they seem to be stuck to the same old R'n'B BS. There are so many genres out there but it strikes me as odd that you very rarely see an African American do a Rock track.

Over the years we have had legends like Hendrix, and other stars like Roachford (who is now lead singer of Mike and the Mechanics), Lenny Kravitz, Rage Against The Machine, etc etc, all of which have Black vocalists. Just because a person isn't white, it shouldn't subject them being stuck to R'n'B, when there are plenty of other genres. I love Reggae music and would prefer to see new artists do that kind of material instead of the awfulness of Beyonce / Emeli Sande / Jennifer Hudson / Whitney.

Edit with Emeli Sande, I loved the duet of "Read all about it" she done with Prof Green as it had a good beat to it and I loved the Rap to it, I however cannot stand the wrist slitting solo version that she done on her own. I also cannot stand that "Clown" song, but enjoyed "Beneath your beautiful" & loved "Next to me", as that had a rock feel to it.

It would be nice to see someone like Abi Sampa whho was on the show a couple of years ago, but i guess it's not main stream unfortunately.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are currently and have been a number of AA artist who are rock musicians, as well as being in other music genres, such as jazz, hip hop, easy listening and pop music, so they are not mostly 'stuck' to the R'n'B genre. The problem is that they don't get as much recognition as they should perhaps, hence why they may seem rare.

Some of the well-known great rock musicians such as James Brown, Jimmi Hendrix, are sadly no longer here.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Majority of these acts have no chance of post show careers so not sure why so many are through.

Would hope they would lose most of these at the next stage as they are just ok nothing special
    The Voice has no track record of success at all so I guess that the producers are desperate for someone who looks like they have mainstream appeal but can bring something new to the table. DTwinz aren't great singers but have a female Jedward thing (without the lunacy). Autumn, West End singer with a Mo Farah style Somalia back story. I'm struggling already after that.