Options

Amanda Knox appeal

hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
Forum Member
The latest chapter in the Knox Sollecito appeal starts tomorrow.

I know there have been threads on this in the past, but wondered if there was any interest in following the latest developments.

I am convinced of their innocence, but equally convinced their appeal will fail. The Italian justice system has not covered itself in glory in this case.

I recently read an interesting discussion on the Nencini verdict (Jan 2014). I'll link it in next post.

Comments

• Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am curious - why are you convinced they are innocent?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

The real killer, Rudy Guede, is already behind bars but the italians have basically painted themselves in to a corner with their irrational and obsessive pursuit of Knox.

Much like the OP, I also think the appeal will likely fail because the italians won't want to lose face over something that's gone on for such a long time.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    i have never come to a conclusion regarding this case, i cannot decide what way to think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luca Chelli dissects Nencini verdict

It's difficult getting a full translation of the Nencini verdict. This article is quite good for expat aiming what it contains. Clearly it's written from the perspective of innocence, but it does include the contradictions within the verdict itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Gosh, that would take far longer than I have. A huge essay would result.

In a nutshell
    The DNA evidence was flawed, fatally so.
    The "confession" evidence was, apart from not even being a confession, flawed.
    The two had only been a couple for a week. Jumping to a threesome murder with a man who Amanda had only met a coup,e do times and Sollecito didn't even know is more than a stretch.
    There was strong DNA evidence to link another man, who is currently in prison for the murder.
    The chief prosecutor was a compete and utter nutter.

What is your view?
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    their system is a mess
    'It's my understanding that people who are working with the family believe that the ruling will come from facts based on the 'judicial truth' from Rudy's trial where they said there must have been multiple attackers. This fact can't be contested.

'This is like someone down your street being tried for a crime, but they decide to convict you afterwards because that person claimed you were involved and you can't even defend yourself.

'It makes no sense and just wouldn't happen in the UK or US. It is truly astounding. One more round to go in this crazy justice system. I don't have a good feeling about this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3008212/Amanda-Knox-s-supporters-expect-guilty-murder-time-week-Italy-s-court-rule-death-Meredith-Kercher.html
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real killer, Rudy Guede, is already behind bars but the italians have basically painted themselves in to a corner with their irrational and obsessive pursuit of Knox.

Much like the OP, I also think the appeal will likely fail because the italians won't want to lose face over something that's gone on for such a long time.

Yes, I believe Rudy Guede acted alone or with some as yet unnamed accomplice. He changed his story so many times, finally implicating Knox and Sollecito when he was offered a reduced sentence.
    Knox and Sollecito didn't do themselves any favours changing their accounts of events, but the prosecution have never come up with a convincing motive for them taking part in such a brutal killing.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably follow it.

I'm still convinced she's as guilty as sin.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh this again. I wonder what will be the motive for why Knox and Sollecito killed her this time? The ridiculous sex game gone wrong theory seems to have disappeared. So is it about money now, or an argument over how dirty the flat was or what? I'm sorry that a young woman was horribly murdered but the Italians had their chance and blew it. I doubt the US would extradite her anyway.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I'll probably follow it.

Me too. I think she's a classic sociopath tbh.

I hate how the media have behaved through all this too. Meredith is the victim not knox.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I have with threads on legal cases like this is that people inherently take sides and rarely do you find someone who has bothered to read the extensive facts and details beyond the tabloid press. And this particular mess is even harder to follow than most publicised murder trials.

I don't know enough to comment definitively. The whole trial and appeal process appear flawed. However, from what I know, I am not as convinced of OP that they are innocent.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    She wasn't looking quite as foxy the other day, which was disappointing. I still would though.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem I have with threads on legal cases like this is that people inherently take sides and rarely do you find someone who has bothered to read the extensive facts and details beyond the tabloid press.
    Actually, I have. Which is why I'm convinced she's as guilty as sin.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    This is a difficult case.

The obvious answer is that Rudy Guede did it, however there are some very unusual elements which suggest that it was not 100% straightforward.

Rudy Guede was a thief but he was not, until that point, a murderer. It's not an impossible leap but it is a large one.

It's easy to throw away his testimony that he came upon the murder and when Knox and Sollecito saw him, they ran away. He said he tried to hold the towel up to her neck to save her but got spooked, covered her dignity and ran away.

A bloody towel was indeed found beside her as well as her having been covered. Murderers do not usually do this.

I have always wondered if he is perhaps telling some truths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

The obvious answer is that Rudy Guede did it, however there are some very unusual elements which suggest that it was not 100% straightforward.

Rudy Guede was a thief but he was not, until that point, a murderer. It's not an impossible leap but it is a large one.

It's easy to throw away his testimony that he came upon the murder and when Knox and Sollecito saw him, they ran away. He said he tried to hold the towel up to her neck to save her but got spooked, covered her dignity and ran away.

A bloody towel was indeed found beside her as well as her having been covered. Murderers do not usually do this.

And yet they managed to remove all trace of their DNA in the bedroom and leave his behind.

I've been reading pretty much everything I can find since the case originally broke and i'm convinced she's innocent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet they managed to remove all trace of their DNA in the bedroom.

No, they found some of Sollecitos DNA on a bra clasp. For someone who has read all the facts, you seem to be omitting quite a few?

Also, the mixed luminol stain and the knife.

Three key pieces of DNA evidence: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/its-not-right-to-say-there-is-no-evidence-in-the-case-against-amanda-knox-theres-plenty-9099649.

Remember that DNA is not just spread around. They hardly found any of Amanda's DNA in her own room.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you highlight some points as to why you are convinced of her guilt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they found some of Sollecitos DNA on a bra clasp. For someone who has read all the facts, you seem to be omitting quite a few?

Is this the same bra clasp that was recovered from the crime scene over a month later ?

i'm not doubting the fact they found some of his dna on the clasp, but the question still remains - if sollecito and knox apparently both attacked and murdered kercher, don't you think there'd be a tad more dna evidence in the room apart from a "some" on a bra clasp that wasn't recovered until nearly six weeks after the fact ?

the dna sample on the knife was always said to be so small it barely reached acceptable standards for testing and had to be amplified greatly. it was more consistent with day to day use than actually cutting someone's throat.

the entire forensic operation was amateurish from the very beginning.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably follow it.

Me too. And in true DS Armchair Detective style, I've read a lot of transcripts etc. It was a staged break in. Why would someone who didn't live there need to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is this the same bra clasp that was recovered from the crime scene over a month later ?

i'm not doubting the fact they found some of his dna on the clasp, but the question still remains - if sollecito and knox apparently both attacked and murdered kercher, don't you think there'd be a tad more dna evidence in the room apart from a "some" on a bra clasp that wasn't recovered until nearly six weeks after the fact ?

the dna sample on the knife was always said to be so small it barely reached acceptable standards for testing and had to be amplified greatly. it was more consistent with day to day use than actually cutting someone's throat.

the entire forensic operation was amateurish from the very beginning.

It's actually a little known fact about DNA but it doesn't spread around like fingerprints for example. Also, do consider that the defence said that the police spread his DNA around on their feet and contaminated the sample. The sample that was hidden away for 6 weeks. Contaminated with his DNA? The same DNA that was only found in one other place in the whole flat - on a cigarette butt? Hmmm
  • Options
    Forum Member

His testimony has never been properly tested though.

And his first communications about the murder were in a Skype call to a friend of his when he was on the run. That call was recorded. He specifically said Knox had nothing to do with it, she wasn't even there.

His truths are that he was there when she died. But he says that after getting intimate, he went for a dump, came out and found her dying.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And his first communications about the murder were in a Skype call to a friend of his when he was on the run. That call was recorded. He specifically said Knox had nothing to do with it, she wasn't even there.

His truths are that he was there when she died. But he says that after getting intimate, he went for a dump, came out and found her dying.

Who knows? There has been an awful lot of lying in this case. My particular favourite is Rafaelle not being horrified that Meredith's DNA was found on a knife in his apartment, but saying that she had come round for fish and he had accidentally pricked her with the knife. Turns out she had never set foot in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, that would take far longer than I have. A huge essay would result.

In a nutshell
    The DNA evidence was flawed, fatally so.
    The "confession" evidence was, apart from not even being a confession, flawed.
    The two had only been a couple for a week. Jumping to a threesome murder with a man who Amanda had only met a coup,e do times and Sollecito didn't even know is more than a stretch.
    There was strong DNA evidence to link another man, who is currently in prison for the murder.
    The chief prosecutor was a compete and utter nutter.

What is your view?

I have an open mind on this too, but do wonder if they were more involved than they admit.

Why does the bra clasp have Sollecito's DNA on it? How did it get there if he'd only been around a week and Meredith did not know him?

Why did Amanda lie to the police? What was the point in making up stories?

Why was there a spot of blood in Romanelli's room? If Rudi ran straight out the house after he murdered her, how did the blood get into another bedroom? The blood spot was a mixture of Meredith's and Amanda's.

The knife DNA was not detected using standard protocols because the amount was so low. But there was a perfect match. I don't know the chances of that happening but I bet they are very low ... Unless it was Meredith's blood of course.

How do you explain the staged break in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you know what exactly was said during this Skype call?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have an open mind on this too, but do wonder if they were more involved than they admit.

Why does the bra clasp have Sollecito's DNA on it? How did it get there if he'd only been around a week and Meredith did not know him?

Why did Amanda lie to the police? What was the point in making up stories?

Why was there a spot of blood in Romanelli's room? If Rudi ran straight out the house after he murdered her, how did the blood get into another bedroom? The blood spot was a mixture of Meredith's and Amanda's.

The knife DNA was not detected using standard protocols because the amount was so low. But there was a perfect match. I don't know the chances of that happening but I bet they are very low ... Unless it was Meredith's blood of course.

How do you explain the staged break in?

Even the defence admit that Knox's DNA was on window mixed with Meredith's and Sollecitos was on the bra clasp.

Put it this way, if you were to strangle someone with your bare hands, only 2/3rds of people would leave behind a DNA trace. Takes much less force to use a knife so less likely to leave DNA. It's quite hard to leave DNA behind.

The DNA evidence is why he will be convicted and she will be slapped with an extradition order.