Options

What is it about Christianity and Islam which turns some people into extremist nuts?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Well obviously more so Islam in the 21st century.

Though there have been problems in Ireland with Christianity and the IRA etc.

But the photos of all those poor men and boys this month being lined up on the ground and executed for apparently not being 'Islamic' enough, is just heartbreaking.

A complete waste of life for nothing! For a book, and a culture based on what surely must be a work of complete fiction as the probablitiy of the basis of anything in these religions being remotely factual must be close to 0% .

The brainwashing of the people on this planet is truley sickening, and look where it has got us.

But what about these religions makes some people simply 'believe in them' yet some people turn into raging murdering lunatics.

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess because religious books can be interpreted 1001 different ways. Plus they're full of death and destruction by any interpretation.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cos they've woken up, realised it a complete load of cobblers and are angry and embarrassed that they've been so taken in............
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Irish issues were never about religion, they were about the occupation of the country by another country.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine that some people are predisposed to become "extremist nuts" and their particular cause is secondary. Some people like being football hooligans, others just like going to matches.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They give an excuse to people who are already likely to be extremist nuts.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Why do people who spend their lives worshiping imaginary deities, who live by rules that were made for people thousands of years ago, when ethics were non existent and human lives were cheap turn into nutters ?
    Beats me, I've got no idea why that could be :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Maybe there's just something about organised religion in general that has the potential to attract people who are leaning towards an extreme point of view. I mean, to believe in Christ and his teachings to begin with you need to believe Jesus is an Omnipotent God who chooses not to simply forgive mankind, but instead impregnates a teenage girl with himself so that he can be born to have himself slaughtered to save mankind from the hell that he himself created in the first place. Talk about bloody extremism!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    You can get nut-jobs from any walk of life, but the big 3 monolithic religions do seem to brainwash many into acts of violence that they otherwise would not have done. The world would be such a better place without these 3 awful institutions.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was instrumental in establishing the Israeli National Skin Bank, which is the largest in the world. The National Skin Bank stores skin for every day needs as well as for war time or mass casualty situations.

This skin bank is hosted at the Hadassah Ein Kerem University hospital in Jerusalem where I was the Chairman of plastic surgery. This is how I was asked to supply skin for an Arab woman from Gaza, who was hospitalized in Soroka Hospital in Beersheva, after her family burned her. Usually, such atrocities happen among Arab families when the women are suspected of having an affair.

We supplied all the needed Homografts for her treatment. She was successfully treated by my friend and colleague, Prof. Lior Rosenberg and discharged to return to Gaza. She was invited for regular follow-up visits to the outpatient clinic in Beersheva.

One day she was caught at a border crossing wearing a suicide belt. She meant to explode herself in the outpatient clinic of the hospital where they saved her life. It seems that her family promised her that if she did that, they would forgive her.

This is only one example of the war between Jews and Muslims in the Land of Israel. It is not a territorial conflict. This is a civilizational conflict, or rather a war between civilization & barbarism.

Bibi (Netanyahu) gets it, Obama does not.

I have never written before asking to please forward onwards, so that as many as possible can understand radical Islam and what awaits the world if it is not stopped.

Dr Arieh Eldad

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/israel/eldad.asp#Qf7aOS1cXdLUY1ji.99
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it that's going to be answered in this thread that hasn't already been answered a hundred times over in the hundreds of other religious threads ?
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The IRA and UVF, etc were hardly terrorising the country out of their love for God, the PIRA were formed to protect their people against the British Army and to try and remove British rule from the country, The UVF terrorised the country in order to defeat the repulicans and keep the country under British rule.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find there are extremists in most religions, except maybe, Quakers. The difference with Islam & Christianity is they are proselytising.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Well obviously more so Islam in the 21st century.

Though there have been problems in Ireland with Christianity and the IRA etc.

But the photos of all those poor men and boys this month being lined up on the ground and executed for apparently not being 'Islamic' enough, is just heartbreaking.

A complete waste of life for nothing! For a book, and a culture based on what surely must be a work of complete fiction as the probablitiy of the basis of anything in these religions being remotely factual must be close to 0% .

The brainwashing of the people on this planet is truley sickening, and look where it has got us.

But what about these religions makes some people simply 'believe in them' yet some people turn into raging murdering lunatics.

The IRA were not a religious based army, their members came from the Catholic/Nationalist community but that was no surprise, the Orange Order and the British discriminated against them. If you want to look for religious extremism and in particular Christian bigotry check out your own country, check out the law forbidding Catholics from marrying into the good old Protestant royal family.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to be an expert on religion to know the problem for the world is the followers of Islam.

NOT the Christians.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    You don't need to be an expert on religion to know the problem for the world is the followers of Islam.

NOT the Christians.
    You don't need to be an expert on history to know that the problem has been Christians in the past as the OP addresses in his first post.

If Christianity can reform and get better (discounting nutters like Anders Breivik and the Lord's Resistance Army), perhaps Islam can in a few hundred years.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Followers of Islam aren't a problem. The problem is extreme or fundamentalist Islamists.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=UKMikey;

If Christianity can reform and get better (discounting nutters like Anders Breivik and the Lord's Resistance Army), perhaps Islam can in a few hundred years.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well that's reassuring then.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, well that's reassuring then.
    I'm sure the victims of the Inquisition felt the same way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    If you want to look for religious extremism and in particular Christian bigotry check out your own country, check out the law forbidding Catholics from marrying into the good old Protestant royal family.

Indeed, you have to laugh at all these modern Britons who are against religion yet they worship the ridiculous royal family who are steeped with a history of bigotry
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly there are elements in humanity who get off on extremism, religion gives them a receptacle but equally it could be Maoism, nationalism, communism, fascism etc.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Sadly there are elements in humanity who get off on extremism, religion gives them a receptacle but equally it could be Maoism, nationalism, communism, fascism etc.

Indeed - most people are ordinary 'get on with their lives' people, regardless of their beliefs. If you are predisposed to extremism then you will use whatever is to hand. The extremism of the Nazis; the Pol Pot regime; Mao's red army; the red brigade; Stalin's followers... there is just a group of people who are prepared to do anything to achieve their aims. At the moment the biggest threat globally is Islamic extremism... who knows what it will be in fifty years.

Religion can fuel an extremist - but so can injustice (or perceived injustice) - or the search for personal power.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Indeed, you have to laugh at all these modern Britons who are against religion yet they worship the ridiculous royal family who are steeped with a history of bigotry

Go on, admit it. You just wanted to use the words 'steeped' and 'bigotry' in a post, didn't you? You steep something in something, not with it. Post is balls, anyway. People don't worship the royal family.

As for the actual OP, yeah it is only Christianity and Islam that create extremists, isn't it? No other religion can do it nor can non-religious idealogy. I mean, something secular like Communism or Fascism. Perfectly reasonable idealogies with no extremist overtones, right?

Same old mindless anti-religious shit. Plus ca change...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on, admit it. You just wanted to use the words 'steeped' and 'bigotry' in a post, didn't you? You steep something in something, not with it. Post is balls, anyway. People don't worship the royal family.

When the queen makes an appearance somewhere many people come out their their little flags. I remember when the queen visited my university a few years back, many students rushed to see her whereas I never got out of bed.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Indeed - most people are ordinary 'get on with their lives' people, regardless of their beliefs. If you are predisposed to extremism then you will use whatever is to hand. The extremism of the Nazis; the Pol Pot regime; Mao's red army; the red brigade; Stalin's followers... there is just a group of people who are prepared to do anything to achieve their aims. At the moment the biggest threat globally is Islamic extremism... who knows what it will be in fifty years.

Religion can fuel an extremist - but so can injustice (or perceived injustice) - or the search for personal power.

Great post.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    The IRA were not a religious based army, their members came from the Catholic/Nationalist community but that was no surprise, the Orange Order and the British discriminated against them. If you want to look for religious extremism and in particular Christian bigotry check out your own country, check out the law forbidding Catholics from marrying into the good old Protestant royal family.

How's the Republic doing with Catholic extremism? Stones and glass houses comes to mind.