Anti piracy messages on legal dvds

Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have never, ever understood this.

I purchased a DVD from Amazon and inside the box was a leaflet asking me not to download movies, telling me why buying movies legally is better.

Since this was a legal DVD, isn't it obvious that I'm buying movies legally? What are they going after people like me for? It's like those unskipable anti-piracy adverts on legal DVDs.

They are surely sending the message out in the wrong way? If I've bought a DVD why should I still be assumed guilty until proven innocent?

Why is the film industry so clueless when it comes to trying to tackle piracy? Going after people who have spent their hard earned money on legal DVDs isn't going to do anything but annoy those who are actually doing the right thing already.

Comments

• Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess there's no point in putting the message on illegal, pirate DVDs either is there? Which pirate DVD producer is going to suggest that you stop buying pirate DVDs?

FACT have to make it look like they are promoting anti-piracy somehow - so they foist the adverts on us at the cinema and on the DVDs which we buy (legitimately).
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that adverts at the cinema, to discourage people from filming it. But, as you say, on legally purchased DVDs is just stupid.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti piracy messages and copy protection have always been there to irritate and generally inconvenience the general public. The pirates simply erase, or bypass it when they do their copies. It makes me laugh.

I just find these ad's tedious and hope my fast forward button hasn't been locked out. When it has, that's when I get annoyed.

Personally however I'm more effed off about trailers for god awful movies that I would never dream of watching. Why they include these on retail dvd's I'll never know.
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they reckon the only reason you could have enough money to buy that DVD is if you didn't buy some other DVD in the past, because you have a PIRATE copy of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a pirate copy you dont have to watch the trailers or anything, so they are better than the legal ones :rolleyes: :D Its abit like DRM on games, which bog your pc down with crap and only let you install 3-5 times, if you get a pirate copy you can do what you want with it!

In the current environment, it seems its better to have a pirate copy than a legal one :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best one is "Thumbs up for buying this legal DVD" or something similar... like it's an accomplishment or something.
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelus69 wrote: »
    The best one is "Thumbs up for buying this legal DVD" or something similar... like it's an accomplishment or something.

Ew. How patronising. :mad:
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you get a pirate copy you dont have to watch the trailers or anything, so they are better than the legal ones

There is this lovely button where you can fast forward or skip, or you can go and make something to eat/drink while it's on :p

I just find it funny that they really think it's going to stop someone selling or downloading/buying an illegal film copy.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way forward is the Mission Impossible route. Dvd discs cost 5 pence to buy wether legal or blank but they implode after 28 days.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to make a disc that can only be watched once, so it can not play a second time? So once the people who get the screener in the business watch it, it's useless after in case it gets lost and so on.