The Gap between series, will it seem like a drag?!

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not a 100% sure when the second half of this New Series starts but whether it will be September or later, it still can't be half as bad as the drag between episodes in 2009 when we had this huge gap between Easter and November, that seemed like an eternity, but there again, seeing what was eventually dished up on screen, the hype sort of was overblown for what was three very average episodes.

Hopefully that won't happen too much this time round, but do you think the time will drag for you or has 2009 sort of put the wait into context? For me that really depends on how good the cliffhanger will be, if it's a let-down, time certainly won't drag!

:D

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great actually, as it means the show is spaced out more through the year...never being more than a few months away from new Doctor Who is appealing...:)

I suspect the second half of the series will start in September, so in between we will have Torchwood, which is due to start July, to keep us going as well. Pretty much solid DW related stuff to look forward to all the way to xmas.....
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think it's great actually, as it means the show is spaced out more through the year...never being more than a few months away from new Doctor Who is appealing...:)

I suspect the second half of the series will start in September, so in between we will have Torchwood, which is due to start July, to keep us going as well. Pretty much solid DW related stuff to look forward to all the way to xmas.....

Good think Muttley, forgot about Torchwood, then I suppose there'll be Sarah-Jane Adventures around sometime in the autumn as well should Doctor Who start later! :D
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    It will only be 16 weeks or so between the two halfs of the series, and 10 of those will have the new Torchwood to keep the DW/TW fans happy.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    It will only be 16 weeks or so between the two halfs of the series, and 10 of those will have the new Torchwood to keep the DW/TW fans happy.

Sherlock, too, I presume, to keep the non-TW fans happy. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't seem like a drag, the moment Doctor Who finishes the Torchwood countdown begins :D But why is there a gap this year?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will be good to have another series to look forward to later this year. I may not say that in 8 weeks though.:D

(McGann weeks):)

Is there definitely a Sarah Jane Adventures? I hope there's an appearance by the Doctor again, if so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be good to have another series to look forward to later this year. I may not say that in 8 weeks though.:D

(McGann weeks):)

Is there definitely a Sarah Jane Adventures? I hope there's an appearance by the Doctor again, if so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Sarah_Jane_Adventures_serials#Series_5_.282011.29
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And had DW started earlier (end of March as some had been suggesting), then that gap would have widened to 20 weeks or so.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the split, it means that we have Doctor Who during autumn as well as spring :)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    I've come round to the idea of the series being split into two.
    I wonder if they'll eventually revert back to showing it in one but in the autumn this time.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll eventually revert back to showing it in one but in the autumn this time.

Perfect setup for the 50th anniversary. :)
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    doublefour wrote: »
    I suspect that depends on the success (or not) of Torchwood. If TW gets another series in 2012 I think the format will remain the same 7 DW folloed by TW then 7DW in the Autumn (inc. Xmas Special)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    I was just thinking they (the BBC) might get swayed by ratings if they were higher in the autumn section. But yes Torchwood's ratings will be a factor in the long run.
  • mirrorman74mirrorman74 Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    DS forum members may recall all the moans and groans over the last few years since the new series started in 2005; that having Doctor Who shown early evening during the Spring meant that viewing figures would be impacted by the fine weather outdoors.

As we all know, the viewing figures have all been pretty healthy despite the weather outside.

However there has been a strong argument in favour of positioning the show in the Autumn schedule. The only real conflict for the show during that period comes in the form of ITV's X Factor.

There's sufficient industry rumours that the X Factor could be shifted in the schedules due to the expected success of X Factor USA, bringing it forward to a Springtime slot. So with that in consideration, its altogether possible that what we are seeing in 2011 is experiment in viewing figures and to also prepare in case ITV changes it's schedules for X Factor.

But then, what do I know...
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the actual reason why s6 will be split anyway. I think it may have something to do with TW
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a September start seems so natural time for the New series to restart. Aside from The Davison Era, September was always an exciting time as a kid as you always knew a new Series of Doctor Who was just around the corner and it helped get you through the long run up to Christmas!

I think I could get used to a yearly split of Doctor Who. Though it's not a drama, it works with Top Gear, which is on 2-3 times a year for a 6 weekly run and that seems to work, so I can see it happening with Doctor Who as well. :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that depends on the success (or not) of Torchwood. If TW gets another series in 2012 I think the format will remain the same 7 DW folloed by TW then 7DW in the Autumn (inc. Xmas Special)

yes i agree - if Torchwood maintains the sort of ratings it had for CoE, it would i think be ideal for the BBC to carry on this way (though it'll be 6 episodes in the autumn rather than 7).
  • Don't BlinkDon't Blink Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    A birthday September 10th restart wouldn't go a miss.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    What was the actual reason why s6 will be split anyway. I think it may have something to do with TW

It was Moffatt's idea, as there is to be a game-changing cliff-hanger in the 7th episode. Apparently, he wanted that to sink in and let us ruminate upon it before we get the conclusion to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I'm not a 100% sure when the second half of this New Series starts but whether it will be September or later, it still can't be half as bad as the drag between episodes in 2009 when we had this huge gap between Easter and November, that seemed like an eternity, but there again, seeing what was eventually dished up on screen, the hype sort of was overblown for what was three very average episodes.

Hopefully that won't happen too much this time round, but do you think the time will drag for you or has 2009 sort of put the wait into context? For me that really depends on how good the cliffhanger will be, if it's a let-down, time certainly won't drag!

:D

Isnt there the summer inbetween where we should all be outside enjoying ourselves :D