Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    His heart's in the right place imo. His devotion to kids is not for publicity I don't think.

He's not the only one doing it but wish a few more footballers and sportspeople would donate like this.

Quite a few do in different ways; it's just that there is little or no media coverage about it.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    No it's not crystal clear and to suggest it's just that suggests you haven't read half the posts on this thread. There's just as much bile about him/them as there is about the donation.

Maybe you're right, it shouldn't have been announced at all, or, as I said earlier, the focus should have been on the charity not the gesture. I just can't get outraged over a donation that will benefit kids in need, regardless of its origins or the manner in which it was announced.

BIB is how I feel.

I don't really have any strong feelings either way about Mr and Mrs Beckham but surely this is a good thing regardless of how or why it's been done?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    He's not doing that for nothing it's publicity publicity publicity :rolleyes:
    They will make fortunes from fashion sales,

Why don't they actually give some Millions away now that would be something,

But of course those who can spare Millions would never do that.:cool:

Are you sure about that statement ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm I'd be interested to know if his team of advisors negotiated with the club to sign over the image rights in return for this charitable gesture.

Kerching me thinks!
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    No it's not crystal clear and to suggest it's just that suggests you haven't read half the posts on this thread. There's just as much bile about him/them as there is about the donation.

Maybe you're right, it shouldn't have been announced at all, or, as I said earlier, the focus should have been on the charity not the gesture. I just can't get outraged over a donation that will benefit kids in need, regardless of its origins or the manner in which it was announced.

I've read all of the posts on the thread. There are other issues that people have with Beckham, but in relation to this donation - the negativity appears to be universally related to his decision to publicise the donation.

Who's outraged? :D Jaded, perhaps, would be more appropriate.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few do in different ways; it's just that there is little or no media coverage about it.

I agree; lots of famous people do a lot for charity but they don't shout about it.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do people moan about beckhms earnings?

he generates thousands of pounds for the teams he has played for in shirt sales etc...people pay to watch him so what's wrong if he picks up some of the profits?
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Ok here's a thought I think all this is about publicity it's what the Beckhams crave above EVERYTHING else there is hardly a day either of them are pictured in a magazine or paper doing the the most mundane thing .

Why could Beckham not have done this on the quiet, He really wants that knighthood doesn't he

Erm nooo:rolleyes:

One of the reasons why he announced it imo is because if he didnt a lot of people would have said he went to Paris to earn another lavish salary and shop all day.
    I think him announcing it proves he still wants to play even if he likes the income side of the game.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    why do people moan about beckhms earnings?

he generates thousands of pounds for the teams he has played for in shirt sales etc...people pay to watch him so what's wrong if he picks up some of the profits?

Capitalism lives :eek:
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I do not particularly like Beckham, I do not like football and all the false pretence and bull manure associated with it but I must give credit to Beckham for this kind act. I have totally changed my mind about him.

I have never disliked Beckham but have also never understood, and been bored stiff by the obsession over him - however I agree with your other points!

I'd like to think more high earners might be inspired by this beautiful gesture.

Very, very impressed with David for doing this. Classy man. :)
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Victoria's idea apparently.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/natalie-cassidy-says-shed-never-1571803

If it's true, it has been done for publicity. As we know, she lives for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Victoria's idea apparently.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/natalie-cassidy-says-shed-never-1571803

If it's true, it has been done for publicity. As we know, she lives for it.

So? Money is going to charity. Lets give them publicity. Better than giving it to people who don't do anything for charity..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strict wrote: »
    So? Money is going to charity. Lets give them publicity. Better than giving it to people who don't do anything for charity..

So? So what about those people who were calling Beckham almost a saint for his actions, when in fact, they were nothing to do with him at all. They got it wrong.

That plus how nasty and abusive some posters were towards those people who did not agree this was a selfless and motiveless act. They got it wrong.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strict wrote: »

Actually, I've never said there was anything wrong in giving the money to charity, just the blatantly public way it was announced.

No need for fanfares, press conferences and public back slapping, but let's face it, this is Les Beckhams - they do nothing quietly.

ETA - he might be giving his salary to charity, but apparently he's going to make millions from a shirt which costs £3.60 to make, and sells for £96. Does he look quite so charitable now?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272651/David-Beckham-Star-predicted-make-millions-new-deal-replica-football-shirt-goes-sale.html#axzz2Jp9psrou
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ETA - he might be giving his salary to charity, but apparently he's going to make millions from a shirt which costs £3.60 to make, and sells for £96. Does he look quite so charitable now?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272651/David-Beckham-Star-predicted-make-millions-new-deal-replica-football-shirt-goes-sale.html#axzz2Jp9psrou

How on Earth anyone can come on here now defending this greedy, calculating little man, would be beyond me. He really is just grab, grab, grab, me, me, me.

Please David - go to Qatar, take your wife with you, and don't come back to bother us here again :rolleyes:
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Well, Beckham will not notice the odd million going to charity, will he. He will probably get some kind of tax relief for his efforts. He has promoted so many things in the past, from underwear to watches he must be worth millions and millions of pounds, never mind what Victoria is making as she charges over one thousand pounds for JUST ONE DRESS!! I strongly doubt that Victoria, David and the kids could possible spend all the money they have. They even have a boy modelling now too!! Hilarious.

Well he is back in UK so he will be paying UK tax!!!!!! Cheers me up no-end!!!
    Forum Member
    I have never disliked Beckham but have also never understood, and been bored stiff by the obsession over him - however I agree with your other points!

I'd like to think more high earners might be inspired by this beautiful gesture.

Very, very impressed with David for doing this. Classy man. :)

Not so classy IMO to announce it at a Press Conference! YUCK. It is the sort of act that you should never speak of yourself. Rather disgusted to see his T Shirt is made for a few pounds but sold for over eighty!! A fool and his money is soon parted!!! By the way, Michael Shoemacher gives a great deal of money to charity but never speaks about it publicly. He is a UN Rep for Kids!!
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    His heart's in the right place imo. His devotion to kids is not for publicity I don't think.

He's not the only one doing it but wish a few more footballers and sportspeople would donate like this.

Perhaps they cannot afford it, after all the Beckhams are a two income family!!! JOKE
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so classy IMO to announce it at a Press Conference! YUCK. It is the sort of act that you should never speak of yourself. Rather disgusted to see his T Shirt is made for a few pounds but sold for over eighty!! A fool and his money is soon parted!!! By the way, Michael Shoemacher gives a great deal of money to charity but never speaks about it publicly. He is a UN Rep for Kids!!

Money never buys class Michael Schumacher has it he does his work quietly.

But Beckham has a knighthood to pick up don't you know.

Cynical me never.:D:D
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the great mystery is why his well worn legs are worth 150k a week to PSG. I mean what are they thinking. I suppose he might just cope with a few games in the French League. Are they really paying him that much? Of course it's all going to charity.

This is my focus also. My football mad friend told me that Beckham can't really play 90 minutes anymore, even that he looks tired and confused after 75 minutes. Perhaps giving it to charity justifies paying a past it footballer to play for your team simply in order to sell a lot of merchandise sold around the world. Makes sense.
    I'm rather surprised the tabloid haven't focused more on the fact that David will be living apart from his wife - the charity aspect has rather distracted from that...!

I don't blame people for questioning the Beckham's motives, they have a gargantuan and eternal appetite for money and attention so people are naturally inclined to think that what they do isn't entirely altruistic.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    This is my focus also. My football mad friend told me that Beckham can't really play 90 minutes anymore, even that he looks tired and confused after 75 minutes. Perhaps giving it to charity justifies paying a past it footballer to play for your team simply in order to sell a lot of merchandise sold around the world. Makes sense.
    I'm rather surprised the tabloid haven't focused more on the fact that David will be living apart from his wife - the charity aspect has rather distracted from that...!

I don't blame people for questioning the Beckham's motives, they have a gargantuan and eternal appetite for money and attention so people are naturally inclined to think that what they do isn't entirely altruistic.

From an article written in December 2011...
    PSG were bought last year by the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), a company founded in 2005 and effectively owned by Qatar's oil-rich, ruling Al Thani family,

Qatar's state-owned broadcaster, Al Jazeera, is expanding its football TV rights portfolio, not only in the Middle East (where it shows the Champions League) but in Europe.

Al Jazeera has bought some rights to show French top-flight football within France...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First rule of donation; Don't tell everyone you've donated. Clearly he's fishing for an OBE. There's probably footballers out there who've donated to charity and kept it shut whilst David runs straight to the press.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First rule of donation; Don't tell everyone you've donated. Clearly he's fishing for an OBE. There's probably footballers out there who've donated to charity and kept it shut whilst David runs straight to the press.

I don't think he's fishing for an honour.

He will get an OBE & more in time if never appears in the papers, magazines or on TV ever again.

Remember, this is a guy who was awarded a lifetime achievement award for services to football at the age of 35 whilst still playing football.:eek:
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    From an article written in December 2011...

Is there anything in the world that is still untainted with Qatari money :mad:
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member

If he was eager for an award wouldn't he be donating the money to a British charity rather than jolly foreigners?

Maybe he's hoping for a French Legion of Honour.