Kirkwood Has Destroyed Hollyoaks

Comments

• Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    When do the awards start? Can't wait to see how many Hollyoaks wins.

Sexiest male. Danny Mac.
    Sexiest female. Jorgie Porter.
    Villian of the year. Patrick Blake.
    Best storyline. Maxine's abuse.

Those are the only awards I think Hollyoaks could pick up.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    When do the awards start? Can't wait to see how many Hollyoaks wins.

None. They will win none. Mark my words.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They will because 10 year old kids vote hundreds of times each which actually ruin the awards
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Sexiest male. Danny Mac.
    Sexiest female. Jorgie Porter.
    Villian of the year. Patrick Blake.
    Best storyline. Maxine's abuse.

Those are the only awards I think Hollyoaks could pick up.

Well 4 is good, how many will Corrie or Emmerdale get? I think it will be EastEnders year to be honest. However I can see Kieron Ricahrdson pushing Adam Woodyatt for Best Actor.
    Forum Member
    They will because 10 year old kids vote hundreds of times each which actually ruin the awards

Where do you get that thought from? If that was the case then all soap fans would be doing that so its quite unfair to outlaw Hollyoaks. Also Doctors never win awards so why doesn't their fans vote repeatedly.

LOL maybe Michelle Keegan kept voting herself all those years to win sexiest female.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Hollyoaks fans vote in their droves again and again, Oaks should win the title again.

The Hollyoaks team did a great campaign last time. Do the H. ;-)
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't care about your words. You are clueless.
    Forum Member
    Because they have Arthritis in their fingers.

LOL now I know why we never see Doctors threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Where do you get that thought from? If that was the case then all soap fans would be doing that so its quite unfair to outlaw Hollyoaks. Also Doctors never win awards so why doesn't their fans vote repeatedly.

LOL maybe Michelle Keegan kept voting herself all those years to win sexiest female.

You do realise this happens? Otherwise why would a soap which struggles to get a million viewers beat soap to the big prize when they have 7/8 times more veiwers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise this happens? Otherwise why would a soap which struggles to get a million viewers beat soap to the big prize when they have 7/8 times more veiwers?

You can only say that if you know how many people vote. Viewing figures don't come into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can only say that if you know how many people vote. Viewing figures don't come into it.

I fail to believe HO won fairly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Votes is votes. The show also won because of it's quality though.
    Forum Member

Hollyoaks may be unpopular on here but the general audience enjoy it.
  • superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I've been watching Hollyoaks on and off since 2005. I began watching it religiously around 2008 but I stopped watching this past December as I just wasn't enjoying it anymore.

Whether we like it or not, Hollyoaks has changed and this is a new era for the soap, some people will see it as the best era, whereas others (like me) will see it as the worst.

However the the thing that REALLY REALLY annoys me and gets on my nerves more than anything, about these changes, is the hypocrisy of the producers! If it's going to be a crazy, fun, ridiculous soap with kidnaps and explosions every other week, then let it be that! It's obvious from the ratings they have an audience who enjoys that!

However they DON'T seem to want to acknowledge being that type of soap! They act like they are a serious drama who bring to light the seriousness of issues like HIV, Domestic Abuse and Bipolar!!!!! Their dozens of interviews where they go on about the 'realism' of the show would be hilarious if it wasn't so scary because they ACTUALLY believe that!!!!! It's bonkers! After the programme ends, when they talk about whether any viewers have been affected by the issues in the show. I feel like saying "Yes I recently discovered my long-lost twin was the father of my baby too! It's sooooooo realistic" (!)

In my opinion, in order to become great (or even good) again, Hollyoaks needs to find its new identity. They either need to commit to doing the crazy storylines which will probably isolate most of their long-term viewers but bring in new ones OR decide to focus on writing proper realistic stories which will do the opposite, Either way they can't keep balancing the storylines between realistic and surreal because then you end up with storylines like the domestic abuse between Patrick and Maxine and it just makes a mockery out of those issues and the show itself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man doesn't know what he's doing and has had awful ideas since the beginning of the second realm on the show - from wrecking balls to Sonny Valentine - I don't understand why they brought him back after the mess he made at Eastenders.

It pains me thinking about how good the show was in 2012.
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,290
    Forum Member
    I've been watching Hollyoaks on and off since 2005. I began watching it religiously around 2008 but I stopped watching this past December as I just wasn't enjoying it anymore.

Whether we like it or not, Hollyoaks has changed and this is a new era for the soap, some people will see it as the best era, whereas others (like me) will see it as the worst.

However the the thing that REALLY REALLY annoys me and gets on my nerves more than anything, about these changes, is the hypocrisy of the producers! If it's going to be a crazy, fun, ridiculous soap with kidnaps and explosions every other week, then let it be that! It's obvious from the ratings they have an audience who enjoys that!

However they DON'T seem to want to acknowledge being that type of soap! They act like they are a serious drama who bring to light the seriousness of issues like HIV, Domestic Abuse and Bipolar!!!!! Their dozens of interviews where they go on about the 'realism' of the show would be hilarious if it wasn't so scary because they ACTUALLY believe that!!!!! It's bonkers! After the programme ends, when they talk about whether any viewers have been affected by the issues in the show. I feel like saying "Yes I recently discovered my long-lost twin was the father of my baby too! It's sooooooo realistic" (!)

In my opinion, in order to become great (or even good) again, Hollyoaks needs to find its new identity. They either need to commit to doing the crazy storylines which will probably isolate most of their long-term viewers but bring in new ones OR decide to focus on writing proper realistic stories which will do the opposite, Either way they can't keep balancing the storylines between realistic and surreal because then you end up with storylines like the domestic abuse between Patrick and Maxine and it just makes a mockery out of those issues and the show itself!

Brilliant post. The show simply doesn't have a niche. Personally I think it can do both aspects well - but combining them is just not working.

I would add however; if they did decide on the sensationalist avenue it is likely they will lose some of their stronger cast too because at its bests Hollyoaks can excel but at its worst it churns out tripe of the worst kind. It would be such a shame for this to happen as I don't actively dislike any of the current cast- I think all have potential. Personally I feel the biggest problems lie within the production.
  • Bona dragBona drag Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It makes me laugh that they still advertise those "if you have been effected by any issues raised " type helplines after the show. Yes I often get kidnaped and tied to a radiator in my dead mothers basement by my deranged twin sister who I accidentally got pregnant when we were 13. thank god I have someone to talk to about it :p
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I don't care about your words. You are clueless.

Clueless?

The clue is watching the show and seeing how bad it is. Lol.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Its just terrible now

Been watching on and off for a few years now. I really liked the 2006 - 2008 era of the show. Alot of people trash the Lucy Allen era but I believe during her time the show still had potential and the storylines were interesting but they never seemed to work. PM era 2010 - 2011 and the revamp of the show kinda worked and made the show a bit better but I kinda switched off because I personally got fed up of the Brendan Brady show (not everyone liked him). I started watching again in 2012 with the so called "Maddie and Co" era; and I dont get the hate for them, I thought Maddie in particular was a vile horrendous bitch of a character but it was good for the show. The downfall came in 2013 when suddenly all these characters I liked were being killed off and replaced with characters that were just awful and played by shit actors. This year I have been watching once in a while and like another poster said it is basically like you can watch a storyline one week, miss the show for like 3 weeks and when you start watching it again its the same storyline you watch 3 weeks ago. The characters are just boring, and the she is basically a crap Holby City spin off show. How anyone can enjoy it is beyond me.
  • Winchester_Winchester_ Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Its just terrible now

Been watching on and off for a few years now. I really liked the 2006 - 2008 era of the show. Alot of people trash the Lucy Allen era but I believe during her time the show still had potential and the storylines were interesting but they never seemed to work. PM era 2010 - 2011 and the revamp of the show kinda worked and made the show a bit better but I kinda switched off because I personally got fed up of the Brendan Brady show (not everyone liked him). I started watching again in 2012 with the so called "Maddie and Co" era; and I dont get the hate for them, I thought Maddie in particular was a vile horrendous bitch of a character but it was good for the show. The downfall came in 2013 when suddenly all these characters I liked were being killed off and replaced with characters that were just awful and played by shit actors. This year I have been watching once in a while and like another poster said it is basically like you can watch a storyline one week, miss the show for like 3 weeks and when you start watching it again its the same storyline you watch 3 weeks ago. The characters are just boring, and the she is basically a crap Holby City spin off show. How anyone can enjoy it is beyond me.

One of the more sincere opinions on here. I wonder how many of the others here will change their tune 180 degrees as soon as Emmett announces BB's return.
  • superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    One of the more sincere opinions on here. I wonder how many of the others here will change their tune 180 degrees as soon as Emmett announces BB's return.

Emmett's career is going from strength to strength atm, The chances of him returning any time soon are practically zero.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are

People who are long term fans will realise how much he has turned it into a laughing stock

I have watched Hollyoaks since my Uni days 15 years ago. For the past 6 months I just don't watch any more. It's not the same show now.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

What a great post. This is exactly the problem. Hollyoaks as it's been reinvented is absolute pap - as a long term viewer I just found myself cringing at the terrible ham acting, panto storylines and weirdly bad production/direction - so I tuned out. But in a way, that's fine - a bunch of 12 year olds on Twitter seem to like it, so fair enough. Life goes on.

But they talk like they've got something terribly serious to say! What, exactly? That domestic abuse victims are stupid and the abusers can get away with it? That you can bully someone to suicide but it's all fine as long as you cry a few pretty self-pitying tears? That you can screw as many members of your own family as you like, but no one ever gets the clap? That all girls are just a walking vag and a uterus, permanently preggers, and blokes are all just pricks?

As far as I can see, the only thing they've got to say is, you can produce a school panto with amateur production values and still get paid lots of money to get it shown on national TV. And if Channel 4 are still happy to put it out to maybe 800k kids a night, fine.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Explain exactly how these awards can be fair or even genuine reflections on how good a soap is? The panel voted awards are probably the closest to one awarded on merit, the viewer voted are based on popularity and motivation to vote
  • Bona dragBona drag Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explain exactly how these awards can be fair or even genuine reflections on how good a soap is? The panel voted awards are probably the closest to one awarded on merit, the viewer voted are based on popularity and motivation to vote

Agreed, it was a level playing field. The fans of the other soaps had just as much opportunity to vote multiple times. Hollyoaks just proved to be the most popular.