Options

Stuart Blackburn denies Coronation Street problems."We're doing fine"...

wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seriously??? He said that Coronation Street is usually a million viewers higher than EastEnders and he denies that there are any problems in Coronation Street.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a646753/coronation-street-boss-denies-show-problems-were-doing-fine.html

I don't like Stuart Blackburn's attitude to be honest.

Comments

• Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would a million viewers have deserted the show in a matter of months had Phil Collinson continued as producer? Doubtful.

Blackburn is out of touch.
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Would a million viewers have deserted the show in a matter of months had Phil Collinson continued as producer? Doubtful.

Blackburn is out of touch.

If you look all 3 soaps ratings are down. Blackburn is exactly right when he says its due to people not watching tv live anymore. Also with the shrinking audience its more important to look at their ratings share than the number of viewers. When their ratings share starts to drop significantly then you know there is a problem.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizardt wrote: »
    Seriously??? He said that Coronation Street is usually a million viewers higher than EastEnders and he denies that there are any problems in Coronation Street.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a646753/coronation-street-boss-denies-show-problems-were-doing-fine.html

I don't like Stuart Blackburn's attitude to be honest.

He is destroying the show.
  • Options
    EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he should base it on ratings. Corrie has a much older fan base who are used to the show. I'm pretty sure EastEnders gets a lot more online viewers which closes the gap between the two soaps.

I just don't see how Blackburn can't see how truly awful the show has become!
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst Corrie might not be on the brink of despair, the quality of the show is absolutely dire (IMO). That being said it does have a huge and very loyal fan base who will watch the show even in spite in a drop in quality.

I think he's either delusional or plain arrogant if he doesn't recognise that the show is a shadow of its former self. He seems to be of the opinion that if he can justify the drop in ratings he can keep producing sub standard quality.
  • Options
    MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEforest wrote: »
    I don't think he should base it on ratings. Corrie has a much older fan base who are used to the show. I'm pretty sure EastEnders gets a lot more online viewers which closes the gap between the two soaps.

I agree with this. I think it's quite easy to point out that Coronation Street get more viewers than Eastenders in the ratings but I think a MASSIVE portion of EE viewers are online and via catch up services. People are always quite quick to overlook this. I genuinely think more people watch Eastenders than they do Coronation Street.
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there isn't a problem why do the producer & executive producer keep telling us "everything's fine, don't worry!" Sounds more like they're trying to convince themselves
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    MediaMan5 wrote: »
    I agree with this. I think it's quite easy to point out that Coronation Street get more viewers than Eastenders in the ratings but I think a MASSIVE portion of EE viewers are online and via catch up services. People are always quite quick to overlook this. I genuinely think more people watch Eastenders than they do Coronation Street.
    EastEnders has ranged from 1m to 2m this year on I player. Talk of I player being included to ratings this year.

BARB is out of touch with the way it messures ratings.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CS still pulls in more viewers than the Carter show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    spunger wrote: »
    CS still pulls in more viewers than the Carter show.

LOL! sick of the carter show!
  • Options
    EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some people hate it but EastEnders also has the strongest following on social media.

#EastEnders has 165,662 tagged photos.
    #Hollyoaks has 110,041 tagged photos.
    #CoronationStreet has 45,246 tagged photos.
    #Emmerdale has 32,397 tagged photos.

I know it's slightly off topic I'm just trying to show that it's not all about viewing figures.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone enjoying the Roy scenes with the lads making curry? I think it's a nice touch and it's more happy Roy :)
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEforest wrote: »

Exactly. Coronation Street is the oldest soap and has a loyal fan base, so no wonder it gains the most viewers.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackburn is deluded
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, they're 1 million ahead of EastEnders (Which most of the time they are not), so everything is fine and dandy?:/.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders has ranged from 1m to 2m this year on I player. Talk of I player being included to ratings this year.

BARB is out of touch with the way it messures ratings.
    It's not BARB itself, but technology that is behind social changes. Saying that, you can't add online data to TV ratings, b/c they're two different mediums. Plus, measuring online ratings has no real interest to anyone but the individual networks, who measure their own data in-house. TV ratings are important to advertisers and sponsorship deals, while online data has no such use, yet - all they can tell networks is how many people are viewing the content and when.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Stuart Blackburn is the Ian Duncan Smith of the soap community
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    He is doing a great job.........at burying his head in the sand.

Viewers not tuning in and big stars leaving. Of course all is well.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not even about ratings though. EastEnders has fell off form since the 30th. I'm not on here to praise EastEnders and slate Corrie. I'm looking at it from a fair point of view.

Corrie has been slowly improving for weeks now and would I give EastEnders a BAFTA for what they've dished out these past few months (Bar the odd episode)? Absolutely bloody not!

But, let's take a look on the past year as a whole:

Corrie:

Who killed Tina & The Car Crash have been the only things that have got the public talking about the show and brought in high ratings, Faye's pregnancy for one episode as well.

Now, take out the Tina storyline, and there's not much that can be said for Corrie this past year. Their BAFTA was totally undeserved.

Then again, I suppose it's based on 2014 and nothing from 2015.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason that Blackburn cannot see that Corrie is in a bad place at the moment is that his head is so far up his own ars*.

Sad delusional man
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When their ratings share starts to drop significantly then you know there is a problem.
    Share is also down from high 30s to mid 30s, with some episodes falling lower than that to 32% which is very low for Corrie.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not fair that he can be paid and kept on as producer for producing such crap. He's killing Corrie and cannot see the destruction he has caused. And ITV you are idiots for even employing this man to take over Corrie.