Options

What should I do if the university library refuses to give me lenience in returning a

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JHC threads are getting worse!

So OP, we are not to endure pages and pages of advice simply because you think you should be granted clemency over a £2 charge?!?

Excuse for not offering you advice on this life changing conundrum.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

Hope, yes. But in reality it would be massively misused and abused.

There needs to be a threat, like if you use excuses regularly you won't be as trusted and therefore could be fined for abusing the system.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There needs to be a threat, like if you use excuses regularly you won't be as trusted and therefore could be fined for abusing the system.

Yes, there are many ways they could run the late books / fine system differently.

However the basic fact is that they do not run one of these alternate systems and so you, as a customer, are stuck with dealing with the system that they do run.

See if there is a different library you could use that has terms more suitable to your liking.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    *shakes head in disbelief*

I can hardly believe what I am reading here. All this fuss over £2.00. Getting dad to 'phone up because has no temper controlling strategies.

OP, may I remind you of a couple of things?

1 University is designed to help you grow up and mature. Yours appears to have failed with you so far.

2 As you are at university and this is the end of the academic year, you must be 19 at least. Some folks of 19 are married, have children or are in the armed forces facing enemies of our country, but you get into a hissy over a £2 library fine?

Get real!!

(B ring back the rolling eye emoticon, PLEASE)
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no fine but I'm going to have to pay the postage myself

Such hardship!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't sending a book (even one not that big/heavy) back by 1st class post cost a lot more than the £2 fine?

If not, send it back and be done with it, if so take it back Monday/next time you are in and suck up the fine.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can hardly believe what I am reading here. All this fuss over £2.00. Getting dad to 'phone up because has no temper controlling strategies.

1 University is designed to help you grow up and mature. Yours appears to have failed with you so far.

2 As you are at university and this is the end of the academic year, you must be 19 at least. Some folks of 19 are married, have children or are in the armed forces facing enemies of our country, but you get into a hissy over a £2 library fine?

Get real!!

I have to agree with this... Not being able to handle a basic call in due to temper issues? God forbid you graduate and enter a work life, you'll come undone!

Plenty times I've been the person waiting on a recalled book for an assignment, it's crap when people don't bring them in when they're meant too. I'd just take it in asap, or pay the measly fine... You're lucky it's such a small fine, some uni's charge far more.

As I'm sure many have said, maybe time to grow up ;-)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2 that is at least 4 pints in the student bar the cheek of them, Burn the Library down!!
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Get real!!

*applauds*
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Wow a 3 page thread over a £2 fine

Does the OP not have £2 left of their student finance or overdraft? I'm a student and have £2 left of my money. I'd send the OP a cheque to cover their fine but my car has broken down and I can't get to the post office :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Wouldn't sending a book (even one not that big/heavy) back by 1st class post cost a lot more than the £2 fine?

No.

By postage, it was £2.42. Whereas if I took it back on Wednesday (the only time I'd be able to), it would cost me £8.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I have to agree with this... Not being able to handle a basic call in due to temper issues? God forbid you graduate and enter a work life, you'll come undone!

Plenty times I've been the person waiting on a recalled book for an assignment, it's crap when people don't bring them in when they're meant too. I'd just take it in asap, or pay the measly fine... You're lucky it's such a small fine, some uni's charge far more.

As I'm sure many have said, maybe time to grow up ;-)

BIB Why thank you!! :)
    Croctacus wrote: »
    *applauds*

:blush: D'oh!!
    davethorp wrote: »
    Wow a 3 page thread over a £2 fine

Does the OP not have £2 left of their student finance or overdraft? I'm a student and have £2 left of my money. I'd send the OP a cheque to cover their fine but my car has broken down and I can't get to the post office :D

*snorts* :D:D:D
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    No.

By postage, it was £2.42. Whereas if I took it back on Wednesday (the only time I'd be able to), it would cost me £8.

So you actually wanted them to let you off with almost being a week late?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    So you actually wanted them to let you off with almost being a week late?

Under the circumstances.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but the train ticket would be a fair bit to pay just to return a book then go home. I would only do that if I had another reason for going to the university.

It would depend on the reason. If it was because of a car breaking down, I'd be understandable.

a complimentry ticket for Alton Towers may pacify you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a complimentry ticket for Alton Towers may pacify you

It would make me unconscious so I'd be unable to speak, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the circumstances.

And what about the person waiting for the book? Have you considered them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about the person waiting for the book? Have you considered them?

Yes. I'm sure he or she would be understanding if s/he knew the reason. Besides, all university years have finished now so said student will have no assessments to be working on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm sure he or she would be understanding if s/he knew the reason. Besides, all university years have finished now so said student will have no assessments to be working on.

You know this for sure? My uni for example, dissertation work started over the summer. Also people doing resists be it exams or assignments did them over the summer too. So the book may have still been needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this for sure? My uni for example, dissertation work started over the summer.
    Well, the summer term has ended and not everyone will know if they're definitely doing the next year because of resits.
    Also people doing resists be it exams or assignments did them over the summer too. So the book may have still been needed.
    I really doubt there's a exam on Movie Blockbusters (title of the book)....

I would imagine that to remain more assessment territory.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I don't even believe you are at University, you don't seem smart enough, going by all your other BS threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    OP, I don't even believe you are at University, you don't seem smart enough, going by all your other BS threads.

I am at university.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can't know that for sure, there can be people with extensions... Mitigating circumstances... Someone may need it for background reading from another discipline whilst doing postgraduate... Which doesn't have the usual undergrad holidays!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't know for sure either but were still encouraged to start dissertation work ASAP to give you the extra time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    You can't know that for sure, there can be people with extensions... Mitigating circumstances... Someone may need it for background reading from another discipline whilst doing postgraduate... Which doesn't have the usual undergrad holidays!

Still, I would expect he or she would be understanding given the reason there'd be for the book being handed in late.
This discussion has been closed.